Congratulations on Traveller!

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
Flynn
Banded Mongoose

Postby Flynn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:24 pm

pasuuli wrote:I also heard "MCT", for "Mongoose Classic Traveller". It's nicer sounding than MongTrav.
I've also seen BT, for "Basic Traveller".

I'm sure something will evolve, probably when Mongoose starts calling it by some abbreviation and the fans start picking up on it.

With Regards,
Flynn
Jason "Flynn" Kemp
Samardan Press
Check out the Flynn's Guide series for Traveller
Samardan Press - RPGNow.com
Samardan Press - Lulu.com
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:52 pm

MJD wrote:Old timer?? Gee, thanks.
I meant that in the BEST possible way :)

Mike
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
Traveller
Shrew

Postby Traveller » Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:03 pm

pasuuli wrote:I wondered if Mongoose might sub-license T20; it's Classic Traveller with some D20 compatibilities grafted in. Sounds like that would be inter-compatible with SST and B5, etc.
Interesting thought. I'd be willing to talk if it's something they were interested in.
Citizens of the Imperium
The largest and most active Traveller Community on the Net!
Tathlum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Tathlum » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:10 pm

*ears perk up*
*clutches the little straw marked hope*
AKAramis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AKAramis » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:03 am

MoTrav is my preference...

As to ACT and CT+... it's a sure sign of Marc's lack of touch that the fans wanted those, and Marc REFUSED to let that be the 5th edition, or any edition.

A new edition, ANY new edition, is unlikely to unite the fan base. It would have to be absolutely freaking awesome to pull me from MegaTraveller...

T20 is my second choice... at the moment. It has, however, lead me to running a hybrid of MT and T20... T20's Trade & Commerce and Ship Design.

Because its a roll high, versus a GM Set TN, and players roll the same thing no matter how hard the task nor how skilled, it serves me quite well.

The Task system is just about the single most important thing.
Combat is second.
Design sequences are third.

I am waiting to see how MoTrav works...
-AKAramis
==================================================
Never catch a tiger by the tail...
... unless it is sedated or dead.
==================================================
http://aramis.hostman.us
Harlock
Weasel

Postby Harlock » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:54 am

I for one am glad travellers coming back. At least with mongoose I know it should be good, definately not cheap (no rpg is anymore) but still good I expect. Personally I got into it "late" that is last couple years of high school in 87 & 88. Did the original traveller but didnt use their campaign material I took a single sector and setup my own campaign setting, and did few small light changes to the rules. My only beef at that time was when they published "the traveller book" and "the traveller adventure", the adventure book relied on rules extra rule books (4, 5 and 6 I believe) which had become extremely hard to find at that time, come to think of it I still dont have 5 & 6.
Jeff Hopper
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jeff Hopper » Wed Aug 08, 2007 4:35 am

Hello, first time poster. Just wanted to second the nomination for Official Nickname of Mongoose Traveller to be Riki-Tiki-Traveller.
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Wed Aug 08, 2007 5:08 am

Jeff Hopper wrote:Hello, first time poster. Just wanted to second the nomination for Official Nickname of Mongoose Traveller to be Riki-Tiki-Traveller.
Welcome, long-time Traveller.

Isn't that nickname sort of... well... couldn't it be interpreted as being sort of flip?

On the other hand, it's cute.

A bit on the long side, though.
Jeff Hopper
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jeff Hopper » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:08 am

pasuuli wrote: Welcome, long-time Traveller.

Isn't that nickname sort of... well... couldn't it be interpreted as being sort of flip?

How could anything associated with Rudyard Kipling be considered flip? :D (But I get your point. I'm not trying to be intentionally disparaging with the nickname.)

As for being long, RTT is a nice and short.

As for cute, Riki-Tiki-Tavi was a rather fierce protector of the young boy and his family in the story of the same name.
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:27 pm

Jeff Hopper wrote:
pasuuli wrote: Welcome, long-time Traveller.

How could anything associated with Rudyard Kipling be considered flip? :D (But I get your point. I'm not trying to be intentionally disparaging with the nickname.)

As for being long, RTT is a nice and short.

As for cute, Riki-Tiki-Tavi was a rather fierce protector of the young boy and his family in the story of the same name.
OK, points taken. I still recall the corny cartoon though...
Mongoose Gar
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Mongoose Gar » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:22 pm

While for reasons of product branding and clarity, I'd personally favour "Mongoose Traveller" or "MonTrav" or similar.... I do really like RTT.
katadder
Chief Mongoose

Postby katadder » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:32 pm

goosetrav - you can be a goose :D
1st & Only Centauri Grand Admiral

LONAW Fleets: http://www.mediafire.com/?tddmi2mjcl2
atpollard
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby atpollard » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:19 pm

Yeah, if it doesn't come in "little black book" format I'll be extremely grumpy.
Although the LBBs have a nostalgic charm, they really leave much to be desired as a book form.

Many charts will not fit on a page.
The artwork is forced to be small.
The staple in the middle forces a low page count.
The low page count squeezes the contents down.
The reduced contents provides "almost" enough information.

… And the pages always fell apart under use.

I prefer a real book, like the hardcover The Traveller Book. Soft cover books with glued in pages are a necessary compromise to keep costs down, but if the book doesn’t last, then I prefer to stick with PDFs.

Just my 2 cents.
Arthur
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:29 pm

atpollard wrote: I prefer a real book, like the hardcover The Traveller Book. Soft cover books with glued in pages are a necessary compromise to keep costs down, but if the book doesn’t last, then I prefer to stick with PDFs.
Hey Arthur,

I think you won't have to worry about LBBs coming back; it seems that Mongoose prefers hardcovers. I hope to see the Mongoose equivalent of The Traveller Book.
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:55 pm

Why would I bother getting MongTrav? I can get CT or MT for $35 each, complete!
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:52 pm

Picked up this from the rpg.net forum:

"I don't have the link anymore, but I saw an alternative CT task resolution system that seemed to handle this well. It used difficulties of 1-15 vs. 2D6 + Skill: fairly standard so far. The clever part was a +1 bonus if your stat was equal to or greater than the difficulty, or +2 if it was double or greater.

Thomas"

Please, please, please, could the new editions of Traveller use this core Task Resolution system?

It's simple, intuitive - has Task Difficulties recorded on the same scale as the Characteristic scores and makes them relevant, yet keeping Skills as the primary factor.

I'll say it again: please, please, please could this system be used? It'll make a huge difference to the successful outcome of both T5 and Mongoose Traveller.
Outtasight!
atpollard
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby atpollard » Thu Aug 09, 2007 3:31 am

pasuuli wrote:I think you won't have to worry about LBBs coming back; it seems that Mongoose prefers hardcovers. I hope to see the Mongoose equivalent of The Traveller Book.
That Mongoose prefers hardcovers is very good news.

I just get tired of the droning about how wonderfull the LBBs are ... especially when I need to open the staple to apply another strip of industrial strength tape to the seam to hold the tables in Book 5 for a little while longer.
Jeff Hopper
Banded Mongoose

Postby Jeff Hopper » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:10 am

pasuuli wrote: OK, points taken. I still recall the corny cartoon though...
So do I. Thankfully, that led me into actually reading some of his stories, and later his poetry.

Did you know he actually got to do an interview with Mark Twain? I've read what he wrote, but I'd have given a lot to be the fly on that wall during the interview.
Traveller
Shrew

Postby Traveller » Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:44 am

Jeff Hopper wrote:Did you know he actually got to do an interview with Mark Twain? I've read what he wrote, but I'd have given a lot to be the fly on that wall during the interview.
I'd give a lot to be a fly on the wall of any interview with Mark Twain! But yeah I'd pay more if it including Kipling.
Citizens of the Imperium
The largest and most active Traveller Community on the Net!
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:59 am

Although the LBBs have a nostalgic charm, they really leave much to be desired as a book form.
LOL, it was't a seriosu suggestion :D I preferred the "Traveller Book" as well.

Mind you I'm interested to hear about these alleged problems with the "LBBs". My copies are nearly 30 years old and I never had any problems with them. They lay flat and the spines and covers are fine! The only problem I had was with the large glossy map of the Spinward Marches that came with the deluxe box set; the folds of that needed reinforcement.
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D