Congratulations on Traveller!

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
daryen
Mongoose

Postby daryen » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:59 am

steffworthington wrote:4th imperium, expanded space, focus on different regions and set in the 1400's. Thats my opinion anyway.
Well, if you want 1400s, then you are likely looking at the 5th Imperium, as the 4th Imperium is already established by 1248.
donm61873
Stoat

Postby donm61873 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:58 am

I've said this in other places, at other times. Start with the "Starter Traveller" or "The Traveller Book" format.

Those were the most easily used, most easily portable versions of the CT ruleset.

Have some oldtimers who can point you at the missing rules (little modifiers here and there, like weapon lengths from Snapshot, etc).

Shake, stir, and game.
Border Reiver
Mongoose

Postby Border Reiver » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:07 am

daryen wrote:
steffworthington wrote:4th imperium, expanded space, focus on different regions and set in the 1400's. Thats my opinion anyway.
Well, if you want 1400s, then you are likely looking at the 5th Imperium, as the 4th Imperium is already established by 1248.
Well I'm sure that can be retconned out. :lol:
Dae Richt and Feare Nocht
Tathlum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Tathlum » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:23 am

What stops the fourth Imperium still being around in the 1400's? The Vilani wouldn't have had the time to strangle the life out of it yet....
Silvereye
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Silvereye » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:46 am

Should certainly be interesting to see what they come up with. Certainly there are a lot of things that could do with being poked to new knowledge and theories rather than those of the 1970s.

As long as they keep UPPs, the ability to die in character gen, the equations and black covers I'm likely to be happy :D
Andy W
Collector of dead wargames
Flynn
Banded Mongoose

Postby Flynn » Tue Aug 07, 2007 11:34 am

Border Reiver wrote:Well I'm sure that can be retconned out. :lol:
But why? I LIKE the 1248 setting. :)

With Regards,
Flynn
Jason "Flynn" Kemp
Samardan Press
Check out the Flynn's Guide series for Traveller
Samardan Press - RPGNow.com
Samardan Press - Lulu.com
Renny
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Renny » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:00 pm

I'm pleased for Mongoose, pleased for Traveller fans and pleased for my wallet as a new Traveller game is something I don't need to be buying :D .
Thank goodness it wasn't the Star Trek license after all.

Renny
Trek is not dead...it's merely resting!
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:40 pm

Tathlum wrote:What stops the fourth Imperium still being around in the 1400's? The Vilani wouldn't have had the time to strangle the life out of it yet....
LOL Spoken like a true Solomani!
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:42 pm

Traveller wrote:
daryen wrote:After a primary setting (presumably either 1105 or 1112) is selected, is anyone else going to be permitted to pursue other settings (like 1248 or 993)?
God I hope they do something new. Do we really need another Spinward Marches setting book? Yeah existing Traveller fans might prefer the Marches, but if they are existing Traveller fans they already have all of the previous info that covers the Marches. New players aren't going to care, and even existing fans want to see new areas covered rather than old areas rehashed. Want to do a Marches book, great, down the road please after some new stuff!
Agreed! Maybe they can start something smaller than an Imperium. Give us more of a frontiersy feeling. Something the size of TNE and Firefly's settings.

I'd be happy with that!
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:43 pm

Traveller wrote:
pasuuli wrote:I note, with irony, that if ACT was given the license, there would probably not be a market for Mongoose Traveller.
An even greater irony is that CT is still available.
Touche.
qstor
Banded Mongoose

Postby qstor » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:46 pm

CharlieMonster wrote: I never really got on with D20 Modern, but to be fair if you wanna go down the D20 route for Traveller, get T20 it is IMHO the best System rework for Traveller since (and possibly including) MegaTraveller.
I have T20. I was hoping for a 2e using D20 Modern/D20 Future. That's why I made the comment about the B5 RPG 2e rules :)

I think Traveller as other posters have mentioned is fractured now with Avenger, Far Future, QLI, BITS, Mongoose now and SJG. I'd hope that a computer game would come out to get the interest of younger gamers. But we'll have to see. Its good that Mongoose is energetic but we'll have to see if things work out with them and other publishers and old timers like Loren and MJD and BITS.

Mike
"Hate is baggage. Life's too short to go around pissed off all the time" Edward Furlong - American History X
daryen
Mongoose

Postby daryen » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:48 pm

Tathlum wrote:What stops the fourth Imperium still being around in the 1400's? The Vilani wouldn't have had the time to strangle the life out of it yet....
:)

I got the impression you were after a nacent Imperium, not one that has been around for a century and a half. Then again, 150 years isn't very long in Traveller terms, so, never mind.

Oh, and people say they don't want to see the Spinward Marches again, but for those that do, I can get a view of the Spinward Marches 150 years down the road pretty easily. Some decisions would have to be made, but it is quite doable ...

It would definitely be quite the dynamic place with lots of intrigue and multiple powers vying for supremacy.
Tathlum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Tathlum » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:32 pm

steffworthington was the one looking for 4th Imperium. I'm just trying to be funny.
pasuuli wrote:
Why thank you, so I am.

How many Vilani does it take to change a lightbulb?
GJD
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby GJD » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:55 pm

Flynn wrote:
Border Reiver wrote:Well I'm sure that can be retconned out. :lol:
But why? I LIKE the 1248 setting. :)

With Regards,
Flynn
Someone has to, I suppose.

G.
MJD
Banded Mongoose

Postby MJD » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:56 pm

Old timer?? Gee, thanks.
GJD
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby GJD » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:01 pm

Tathlum wrote:steffworthington was the one looking for 4th Imperium. I'm just trying to be funny.
pasuuli wrote:
Why thank you, so I am.

How many Vilani does it take to change a lightbulb?
One, but it'll cost you 1000cr to do it....

How may Hivers does it take to change a lightbulb?

G.
Tathlum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Tathlum » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:02 pm

What is it going to be called/nicknamed anyway? MT is taken. MongTrav doesnt sound great.
Opinion on COTI says it should be Riki Tiki Traveller.
I think is a mongoose joke but I dont get it.

EDIT; Vilani joke;

Six. One from the ladder carriers guild of the maintenance bureau to bring in and set up the ladder. Another from ladder holders guild to hold it. One from the clerks guild of the government bureau to fill in correct forms and transfere funds to the energy Guild. One from the lightbulb changers guild to change the bulb. One from the wich-trimmers guild because its traditional. And finally on from the supervisors guild because one is required for 5 or more workers engaged in the same task.
Last edited by Tathlum on Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:07 pm

DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:27 pm

I also heard "MCT", for "Mongoose Classic Traveller". It's nicer sounding than MongTrav.
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:31 pm

qstor wrote:
CharlieMonster wrote: I never really got on with D20 Modern, but to be fair if you wanna go down the D20 route for Traveller, get T20 it is IMHO the best System rework for Traveller since (and possibly including) MegaTraveller.
I have T20. I was hoping for a 2e using D20 Modern/D20 Future. That's why I made the comment about the B5 RPG 2e rules :)

I think Traveller as other posters have mentioned is fractured now with Avenger, Far Future, QLI, BITS, Mongoose now and SJG. I'd hope that a computer game would come out to get the interest of younger gamers. But we'll have to see. Its good that Mongoose is energetic but we'll have to see if things work out with them and other publishers and old timers like Loren and MJD and BITS.

Mike
I wondered if Mongoose might sub-license T20; it's Classic Traveller with some D20 compatibilities grafted in. Sounds like that would be inter-compatible with SST and B5, etc.

Traveller isn't really all that fractured -- more like splinters off the block. Far Future owns all but QLI's T20 (which is more or less Classic Traveller anyway) and SJG (which is its own world), so there are no legal barriers.

Rulesets vary but the core of Traveller is Classic Traveller.