Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:44 pm

I think he meant Starship Troopers
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
steffworthington
Banded Mongoose

Postby steffworthington » Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:50 pm

O only ever bough the rulebook. Then ignored it and played 2320AD which is like ST for grown ups. IMHO.
Tathlum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Tathlum » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:50 pm

First Age wrote:
Tathlum wrote:Apparently it is a simplified T5, so a target number based on score and skill. Roll under target number on a number of dice determined by the difficulty. average = 2d, difficult= 3d and so on.
Thanks for confirming. I'll probably live with that.
Remember, I said aparently. Basing that on the T5 playtest download, things may have changed or may yet change. I have no inside knowledge, just that download.
CharlieMonster
Banded Mongoose

Postby CharlieMonster » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:53 pm

qstor wrote:I'd rather see a B5 type d20 Modern version of Traveller for Mongoose.
I don't plan on getting T5 if its a rehash of CT.

I'm a big fan of the B5 books. I hope the production quality for the Traveller stuff is the same as B5.

Mike
I never really got on with D20 Modern, but to be fair if you wanna go down the D20 route for Traveller, get T20 it is IMHO the best System rework for Traveller since (and possibly including) MegaTraveller.
Charlie Monster
----------------------------------
"It's like I've always said, you get more in this life with a kind word and a 2 by 4, than just a kind word."
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:55 pm

old Travellers tend to be set in their ways
Yeah, if it doesn't come in "little black book" format I'll be extremely grumpy :D
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
Traveller
Shrew

Postby Traveller » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:56 pm

Tathlum wrote:Remember, I said aparently. Basing that on the T5 playtest download, things may have changed or may yet change. I have no inside knowledge, just that download.
T5 has developed far beyond the ancient pieces that are floating about. The core system is still based on the T4 system though with a number of changes.
Citizens of the Imperium
The largest and most active Traveller Community on the Net!
Traveller
Shrew

Postby Traveller » Mon Aug 06, 2007 6:57 pm

CharlieMonster wrote:I never really got on with D20 Modern, but to be fair if you wanna go down the D20 route for Traveller, get T20 it is IMHO the best System rework for Traveller since (and possibly including) MegaTraveller.
Thanks! Always nice to hear ;)
Citizens of the Imperium
Tathlum
Banded Mongoose

Postby Tathlum » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:08 pm

I'll throw in a T20 seal of approval aswell.
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:09 pm

Poi wrote: But Mongoose's aim of stopping the fracturing won't work. Too many players will carry on with old versions.
Again, this ain't necessarily so. The target to aim for is, largely, the original Traveller rules. The fractures are along well-defined lines that are clear to see for those of us who have been around the block with Traveller. Most Traveller players would be happy to see a cleaned-up Traveller that "resembles" the original (for some value of "resembles"... perhaps the devil's in the details?)

And the company who owns the rights to rebuild the original Traveller hasn't tried it, yet. Presumably Mongoose will be the ones to build it.

Capture its essence and you'll capture the lion's share of Travellers.

I like Mongoose's motto for this: they write the kinds of games they want to play.

If they do this, I think they'll have something that will attract people to Mongoose. I presume, if they do this, they'll also keep earning the loyalty of current Mongoosians.
steffworthington
Banded Mongoose

Postby steffworthington » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:18 pm

Thanks! Always nice to hear
You deserve it Hunter. A beautiful, sturdy book with excellent layout. I use the BRP system for my traveller games but can't help handing round the T20 book for pics, costs, etc.

Seriously, fella. Well done.

I can also recommend the Travellers Aide series too... can be used as resource material and especially the Yiarn Caardee Vehicle Catalog.
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:24 pm

I'll throw in a T20 seal of approval as well.
Me too, for what its worth.
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
AKAramis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AKAramis » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:36 pm

Actually, Marc Miller SQUASHED a prior effort to do just that: Avenger Classic Traveller.

Which was a cleaned up CT with Task system; it was killed by Marc during playtest, to prevent competition with T5.

Unlike the T5 playtest, ACT was getting a lot of positive feedback from a wide spectrum of the non-gearhead part of the Traveller community.

One will not get all the Traveller players with a new Trav. It's a logical fallacy. However, one can return to the roots, and give the majority what they have been asking for: a revised and updated CT with a Task System that doesn't look like the horrid T4 multi-die one.

One has to look at the fractures in the community, too.

Just on rules preferences alone
CT - core only (Bk 1-3, S1-4)
CT - Expanded (Bk0-8, S1-13)
MT
MT + Hard Times
CT/MT Hybrids
TNE
TNE+T2K+DC
T4 core
T4 expanded
T20
GT
H4T
Corps Houserules
EABA Houserules
Storyteller Houserules

then there are styles of play
Gearheads (build stuff, often don't actually play)
Merchant
Mercs
Adventurers for Hire
World Tamers
System Rulers
Worldbuilders (much like gearheads)
-AKAramis
==================================================
Never catch a tiger by the tail...
... unless it is sedated or dead.
==================================================
http://aramis.hostman.us
steffworthington
Banded Mongoose

Postby steffworthington » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:53 pm

It's unusual isn't it? So many players wanting their version of one game.
I preferred CT rules (when I wasn't BRP'ing everything!) but with the Rebellion setting (MT). I bought a few GT books for resource material. Bought the TNE book for the timeline expansion. Can't stand Chris Foss art so stayed away from T4.. apart from the rules which were crap(which another gamer gave away to me because they 'offended' her). Bought T20 and the travellers aides for more resource material... again. I really don't think I need anymore setting material yet wouldnt buy the rules without it. Weird.
Traveller
Shrew

Postby Traveller » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:56 pm

AKAramis wrote:Actually, Marc Miller SQUASHED a prior effort to do just that: Avenger Classic Traveller.

Which was a cleaned up CT with Task system; it was killed by Marc during playtest, to prevent competition with T5.

Unlike the T5 playtest, ACT was getting a lot of positive feedback from a wide spectrum of the non-gearhead part of the Traveller community.
ACT shouldn't have been tried anyway. We had been working on CT+ well before that and Martin knew that Marc had killed it because of T5. Why they went ahead and tried it again under the ACT moniker is beyond me.
Citizens of the Imperium
pasuuli
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby pasuuli » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:37 pm

Traveller wrote:
AKAramis wrote:Actually, Marc Miller SQUASHED a prior effort to do just that: Avenger Classic Traveller.

ACT shouldn't have been tried anyway. We had been working on CT+ well before that and Martin knew that Marc had killed it because of T5. Why they went ahead and tried it again under the ACT moniker is beyond me.
I note, with irony, that if ACT was given the license, there would probably not be a market for Mongoose Traveller.

In other words, I expect Mongoose Traveller to look a lot like ACT, even though I don't have any reason to think this other than the fact that Mongoose likes classic Traveller and has specifically mentioned it as a target, and even though it's supposed to be the "basic" version of which T5 is the "advanced" version.

Taken another way: there aren't very many ways to clean up classic Traveller. All cleanup efforts will end up looking very similar to one another. (Maybe I'm over-simplifying?)
daryen
Mongoose

Postby daryen » Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:55 pm

After a primary setting (presumably either 1105 or 1112) is selected, is anyone else going to be permitted to pursue other settings (like 1248 or 993)?
Shadow4ce
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Shadow4ce » Tue Aug 07, 2007 12:27 am

DM wrote:
old Travellers tend to be set in their ways
Yeah, if it doesn't come in "little black book" format I'll be extremely grumpy :D
Hopefully the print will smell the same as well. Don't know what they used for ink, but man I knew whenever my FLGS had a new "little black book" in stock the second I walked in the door. 8)
- Shadow4ce
I have seen death, and she is afraid! Image
Traveller
Shrew

Postby Traveller » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:15 am

pasuuli wrote:I note, with irony, that if ACT was given the license, there would probably not be a market for Mongoose Traveller.
An even greater irony is that CT is still available.
In other words, I expect Mongoose Traveller to look a lot like ACT, even though I don't have any reason to think this other than the fact that Mongoose likes classic Traveller and has specifically mentioned it as a target, and even though it's supposed to be the "basic" version of which T5 is the "advanced" version.
I'd probably take this side of the bet as well. As you say there are only so many ways you can clean up CT and they'll all look similar. The only real sticking point I see (as others have also pointed out) is whether they use a task system similar to T5 or something closer to the old CT roll 8+, or something along the lines of MT. If you are going to have real compatibility with T5 you'd want to go with something similar. But not going that route wouldn't be too bad a difference if things like ships, vehicles, worlds, etc. remain close.
Citizens of the Imperium
Traveller
Shrew

Postby Traveller » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:19 am

daryen wrote:After a primary setting (presumably either 1105 or 1112) is selected, is anyone else going to be permitted to pursue other settings (like 1248 or 993)?
God I hope they do something new. Do we really need another Spinward Marches setting book? Yeah existing Traveller fans might prefer the Marches, but if they are existing Traveller fans they already have all of the previous info that covers the Marches. New players aren't going to care, and even existing fans want to see new areas covered rather than old areas rehashed. Want to do a Marches book, great, down the road please after some new stuff!
Citizens of the Imperium
steffworthington
Banded Mongoose

Postby steffworthington » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:21 am

4th imperium, expanded space, focus on different regions and set in the 1400's. Thats my opinion anyway.