Congratulations on Traveller!

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
Traveller
Shrew

Congratulations on Traveller!

Postby Traveller » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:09 am

Congrats to Mongoose on the Traveller license! Looking forward to working with you guys!

Hunter Gordon
QLI/RPGRealms
Citizens of the Imperium
The largest and most active Traveller Community on the Net!
steffworthington
Banded Mongoose

Postby steffworthington » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:14 am

Great news! Although I would've preferred the BRP/MRQ rules than classic traveller (As I own all that already).
Looking forward to the releases and for traveller to have a new lease of life! (my bank balance is gonna suffer. Oh yes. it will suffer.)
Grazelander
Stoat

Postby Grazelander » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:46 am

Great news and heres to a 2008 to remember. The future is back on....... :D
nezeray
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby nezeray » Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:59 am

Great, now I have to go back to storage and pull out my Traveller, Mega-traveller and D20 Traveller stuff to relearn the setting.

God do I hope that people around here will play it. I know Mark Miller's Traveller came out and I didn't see or hear of anyone playing it. :(

Personally I loved the rules and "You can Die" character generation.

James / Nezeray
Mongoose Infantry Demo Team - Kentucky

Flynn
Banded Mongoose

Postby Flynn » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:54 am

Woohoo! This is great news, particularly for us Traveller fans! I am definitely interested in how this will impact potential 3rd-party providers such as Stellar Reaches and other interested parties.

I'm looking forward to more details as things progress!

With Regards,
Flynn
Jason "Flynn" Kemp
Samardan Press
Check out the Flynn's Guide series for Traveller
Samardan Press - RPGNow.com
Samardan Press - Lulu.com
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Sat Aug 04, 2007 11:55 am

Interesting news. I shall watch progress with interest :)

I can honestly claim to be one of the first Traveller players in the UK, having visited Games Day with some friends years ago when it first went on sale in the UK - we ended up starting our first campaign on the steps of the hall at lunchtime :) My loft is jam-packed with my old Classic Trav' stuff!

Will 5th Frontier War, Mayday and Striker be making a comeback under this arrangement?
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
Imajica
Weasel

Postby Imajica » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:57 pm

You beauties!

I'm sure I'm not alone in expressing regret at the effect this will have on our collective bank balances.

Love the idea that the Mongoose rules are a subset of the full-blown T5 (as and when it eventually hits the CD-ROM) and I've already got funds aside for that - have had since they said they'd be releasing it.

But where does this leave SpaceRuneQuest?

And another thing - can we have a re-write of Babylon 5 using the new rules? Please? Pretty please?
MaxSteiner
Duck-Billed Mongoose
Location: Superman or Green Lantern ain't got a-nothin' on me

Postby MaxSteiner » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:31 pm

Wait.... You're going to use the Traveler system for all your Scifi RPGS?
:shock:
I kinda wonder at the wisdom of this. Either you completly change the rules to bring it up to date and piss off all the oldschool fans (Traveller inspires that in some people lol) or you run everything under a system which even the biggest proponant will admit to being not all that great in places...
Are you going to foist a D20 type system on the game? Or are you still infavour of good wholesome D6 style craziness?

Whats the exact legal thingamyjig on this as well?
I thought Steeve Jackson Games had at least some rights to the Traveler franchise?
Does this mean the original stuff is going to be reprinted, or is there going to be an entirly new era tacked onto classic?

This isn't the BIG Rpg release that was mentioned is it? I mean its kinda cool, if you can pull it off without rendering peoples favourite bits moot, but I dont think Space Opera will go down that well with the newer roleplayers will it?
Quark wrote:EGADS! When did MAX BECOME THE VOICE OF REASON AROUND HERE?! :shock: :lol:
Border Reiver
Mongoose

Postby Border Reiver » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:13 pm

This is huuuuuge. I for one cannot wait.

As far as the system goes, CT had some faults but it was fast and fun.
Dae Richt and Feare Nocht
Participant-Observer
Weasel

Postby Participant-Observer » Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:54 pm

[Tommy Trinder]You lucky people. [/Tommy Trinder]

Great news. :D 8)

A couple of quick questions:
  1. What will be Marc Miller's level of involvement?
  2. What will happen to the "Classic Reprints" and CD-Roms? (I kind of like them of historical/ archival reasons, to be honest.)
  3. What will happen to the other sub-licenses, i.e. GURPS Traveller, HERO, and T20? Are they just going to go *poof* when their licenses expire? And as much as I can't be bothered with the GURPS (personal preference etc.) some of their Trav background material was great.
  4. Will Mongoose try to re-hire any of the classic edition artists, as they did for Paranoia?
  5. Any chance of a cheapskate, little black book edition? Perhaps of just the basic rules?
Cheers,

David

Mongoose

Postby G. K. Zhukov » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:27 pm

I have yet another question for Mongoose:

Any chance that you release character minis for the Traveller universe (you know, Aslan, K'kree, Hiver, Zhodani,Vilani, etc.)?

Congrats for the licence!
yojimbo
Weasel

Postby yojimbo » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:33 pm

MaxSteiner wrote:Wait.... You're going to use the Traveler system for all your Scifi RPGS?
:shock:
I kinda wonder at the wisdom of this. Either you completly change the rules to bring it up to date and piss off all the oldschool fans (Traveller inspires that in some people lol) or you run everything under a system which even the biggest proponant will admit to being not all that great in places...
Are you going to foist a D20 type system on the game? Or are you still infavour of good wholesome D6 style craziness?
If as the press release seems to be suggest that Mongoose's Traveller is going to be a stripped down version of Traveller5, the die mechanics are quite different from CT. It appears to have changed from roll over 8 on 2d6 with dice modifiers to roll under stat + skill + modifiers on a variable number of dice dependent on the difficulty of the task (the higher the number of dice the more difficult the task).

You can download some playtest files from www.traveller5.com
yojimbo
Weasel

Postby yojimbo » Sat Aug 04, 2007 5:41 pm

Participant-Observer wrote:[Tommy Trinder]You lucky people. [/Tommy Trinder]

Great news. :D 8)

A couple of quick questions:
  1. What will be Marc Miller's level of involvement?
  2. What will happen to the "Classic Reprints" and CD-Roms? (I kind of like them of historical/ archival reasons, to be honest.)
  3. What will happen to the other sub-licenses, i.e. GURPS Traveller, HERO, and T20? Are they just going to go *poof* when their licenses expire? And as much as I can't be bothered with the GURPS (personal preference etc.) some of their Trav background material was great.
  4. Will Mongoose try to re-hire any of the classic edition artists, as they did for Paranoia?
  5. Any chance of a cheapskate, little black book edition? Perhaps of just the basic rules?
As far as I can tell nothing will happen. Traveller5 is still going ahead and Mongoose's Traveller is going to be a barebones core of the Traveller5 system. As Marc Miller is one of the contributors to T5 I guess you can say that he will be involved in Mongoose's Traveller.

I believe the T20 licence is still valid. Quiklink plan to release a hardcopy version of T20-based 2320AD sometime in the future. The GURPS licence also appears to be valid although I know that SJG have no plans to release any more hardcopy books for Traveller, future releases will be e-books.
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BuShips » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:04 pm

There are new minis from Ad Astra Games of the classic traveller ships, so with the announcement that Mongoose will be a major licensee I wonder if those will stay with Ad Astra or will instead fall under the Mongoose umbrella? As trivia, those minis were detailed computer-drafted masters.
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
Traveller
Shrew

Postby Traveller » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:11 pm

Participant-Observer wrote:[*]What will be Marc Miller's level of involvement?
He is personally designing T5. As far as involvement on the Mongoose end, probably not a whole lot other than advisory and oversight.
[*]What will happen to the "Classic Reprints" and CD-Roms? (I kind of like them of historical/ archival reasons, to be honest.)
Nothing at all. They will still be available.
[*]What will happen to the other sub-licenses, i.e. GURPS Traveller, HERO, and T20? Are they just going to go *poof* when their licenses expire? And as much as I can't be bothered with the GURPS (personal preference etc.) some of their Trav background material was great.
Rules-wise yes once their licenses expire, my understanding from Marc is they will not be renewed. In our case we have a few years left to go.
Citizens of the Imperium
The largest and most active Traveller Community on the Net!
Jeff Cope
Mongoose

Postby Jeff Cope » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:25 pm

Mongoose! Please!

Pre-Painted Traveller minis!

...and a skirmish game set in the Traveller universe!

pretty please?

Jeff
nezeray
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby nezeray » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Personally I'd prefer unpainted metal minis although a little better than the B5 ones. :)

I would like to see the Traveller ships redone also. Haven't looked at other sites lately for the older ones.

James / Nezeray
Mongoose Infantry Demo Team - Kentucky

BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BuShips » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:02 pm

©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
AKAramis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AKAramis » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:27 pm

Congrats, Mongoose, on scoring it. I didn't think that it would ever go OGL....

Now, DON'T SCREW IT UP!!!!

Of course, even if you do, since it will be OGL, I can just adjust it to my liking, put it up on my website, and let people take it to kinkos and print their own...

Seriously, though, the playtest drafts were NOT happy things for many of the fans. Don't TRUST MWM's design. Playtest before you release, and do so THOROUGHLY. And if the xd6 by difficulty task system is still there, count me out, for my player base rejected it in 1996... with T4.[/b]
-AKAramis
==================================================
Never catch a tiger by the tail...
... unless it is sedated or dead.
==================================================
http://aramis.hostman.us
Majestic7
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Majestic7 » Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:27 am

Bunch of Ancients flying a stolen Vargr corsair with a Zho crew! (The worst Traveller swear I could think of.) I've been fan of Traveller for... well...my entire RPG "career." It was the first game I fell in love with - not the rules, but the detailed, wonderful, living world itself. When I first ran in to it, I just knew this was the game I would need to have.

The two games I GM nowadays are Conan and Traveller. It seems that soon all RPG products I buy are done by Mongoose. Hope it all goes well and the crew is not hit by jump sickness in the process.
Campaign log & house rules at Obsidian Portal:
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/conan-ae