A Game of Thrones

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
El Cid
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

A Game of Thrones

Postby El Cid » Mon Jan 22, 2007 11:43 pm

With AoG going out of Business, and HBO picking up the rights to do a series using Martin's A Game of Thrones wouldn't it be a good idea to look at the possibility of Mongoose picking up that title for a RPG?

I don' know if any company has decided to keep the series going but I don't think anyone could do it as well as Mongoose.

Sidney Kuhn
captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:19 pm

AoG?

They went out of business years ago, and they didn't produce anything relating to the Game of Thrones as I remember...

:?

Nick
Captain Sheridan you're under arrest for a clear violation of the laws of physics!
El Cid
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby El Cid » Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:22 am

captainsmirk wrote:AoG?

They went out of business years ago, and they didn't produce anything relating to the Game of Thrones as I remember...

:?

Nick

Oppps. Guardians of Order (GoO) not Agents of Gaming (AoG).

Sidney
Vanguard
Cub

Postby Vanguard » Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:05 am

Keep in mind that one of the reasons that GoO went out of business was because of all the licensing deals that they had been using. The debt load became too high, and most weren't returning the investment.

It's really hard to say that George RR Martin's work (which, to be fair, I'm decidedly not a fan of) would garner enough RPG sales to match what would be an undoubtably high licensing fee.
Deleriad
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Deleriad » Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:14 pm

Well they did go a little over the top with it. I would suggest that aGoT is probably up there with things like Pendragon, Lankhmar and so on in terms of potential audience - possibly larger if HBO come up with the goods. Mongoose are nothing if not good at maximising their returns and could easily, I suspect, make a good go of it.

FFG have made a good go with the agot ccg and boardgames and it takes quite something to keep a ccg afloat these days.

Personally, I would love to see them do it with RQ. The beauty of RQ is that all you have to do is to hack the magic and maybe extend the range of armour and all the rest is fluff. You don't need to spend 100 pages creating new classes, feats and so on. Look at what DBC did with Lankhmar - 164 pages - 80 pages of fluff, 20 pages of char gen, 20 pages of stats, 20 page adventure and 20 pages of Black Magic. You could do something similar with aGoT quite easily.
Dennbok
Mongoose

Postby Dennbok » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:17 am

I gather from GRRM's not-a-blog that this is up for grabs. Mongoose interested? It's a fantastic world, and Mongoose are the best people I'd like to see tackle it - they've got a great track record with other licences.
Mage
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Mage » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:00 pm

GoO went out of business? Wasn't andy chambers doing stuff for them?
Garet
Mongoose

Postby Garet » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:30 pm

Green Ronin has nabbed Game of Thrones
i rolled a unnatural twenty
Harlock
Weasel

Postby Harlock » Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:40 am

I just noticed this tonight, I went to their website and it is indeed true. Guardians of order is gone, as of last summer (2006). I saw their besm stuff in the very comic shop where I picked up the conan rpg a few weeks ago. I'm also a BESM fan, even met mark mckinnon at a con a few years ago. All I can say is (cover your eyes if yer feint hearted) DAMN DAMN DAMN!!! another good game publisher down the tube.
Roughneck 2-0
Banded Mongoose

Postby Roughneck 2-0 » Wed May 02, 2007 11:42 pm

Testors are already doing minis for AGoT, sculpted by Tom Meier himself.
Aramanthus
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Aramanthus » Thu May 03, 2007 1:11 pm

Yeah, but when will they do another re-release of it? And yes, I agree about another game company down the tube! It sucks!
Londo to Vir: "What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?"
SnowDog
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SnowDog » Sat May 05, 2007 4:13 pm

I agree that this would have been a pretty nice world for RQ but Green Ronin has already picked up the license. It will probably have a totally new system instead of OGL.
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."