Merchants and Low passengers

General chat about Mongoose Publishing and its releases
CaptThunder
Cub

Merchants and Low passengers

Postby CaptThunder » Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:24 pm

I couldn't help noticing that despite the Imperial law requiring a medic, if Low passengers are to be taken on board, that all the merchant career paths lack a table with medic on it. I noticed this when trying to generate NPCs for crew positions. I suppose it makes sense that a ship would want someone who has at least spent some time working in a hospital environment so he can put certificates on display and reassure passengers. However I think this is an oversight in game design.
NOLATrav
Banded Mongoose

Re: Merchants and Low passengers

Postby NOLATrav » Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:10 pm

The Imperial Navy also seems to have a dearth of medical personnel if you stick to the char-gen tables as written.

If I’m not getting what I want I usually pick a shipboard skill the NPC has (Steward or Vacc Suit, for example) and make it Medic. Or Engineer, as that seems devilishly hard to come by as well.
Reynard
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Reynard » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:08 am

I usually figure characters to time in the University track or Scholar(Physician) then switching to the career track you prefer.
Condottiere
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Condottiere » Fri Jul 12, 2019 4:31 pm

So clerics required.

And if ex Marine, militant clerics.
Moppy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Moppy » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:45 pm

CaptThunder wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:24 pm
I couldn't help noticing that despite the Imperial law requiring a medic, if Low passengers are to be taken on board, that all the merchant career paths lack a table with medic on it.
If we're talking civilian, then today you usually train as a doctor, not a merchant sailor, then get a job on a boat. Sailing training required for the doctor is basically non-existant beyond how to abandon ship and launch a lifeboat.

In Mongoose rules, you do the Physician from Scholar "class".
PsiTraveller
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby PsiTraveller » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:19 am

University path is an excellent path to boost EDU stat through the roof, and gain some really solid skills. I am tempted to tinker with adding a second term to allow the Core skill gained to be increased. This would allow for a PhD level training for a 2 term graduate.

In my current game two players took the University path, one of them 2 terms. They have a ridiculous EDU score now. As Moppy points out adding in Physician Scholar is a good way to get the 3000 a month Medic salary. :)