Paranoia. New. Stay Alert. Keep Your Laser Handy.

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
msprange
Site Admin

Paranoia. New. Stay Alert. Keep Your Laser Handy.

Postby msprange » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:45 pm

When there's a whisper that Mongoose Publishing is rebooting one of its classic RPGs with the biggest overhaul it's ever had, that's not really news-worthy. But when the whisper says that the multi-award-winning maestro of humour and narrative games James Wallis is assembling a superteam of up-and-coming writers to give the reboot a kick up the backside, that's a different matter.

We're not at liberty to say more at this stage, as there's mountains of paperwork to be filled out, briefings to be debriefed, and experimental mechanics from R&D to be thoroughly tested before we can go public, but we can advise you of two things...

1. You may find some more information at http://bit.ly/YwbIWZ
2. You should stay alert and keep your blaster handy.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Danforth
Mongoose

Re: Paranoia. New. Stay Alert. Keep Your Laser Handy.

Postby Danforth » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:43 pm

James "Baron Munchausen" Wallis?!

Shut up and take my pre-order :D
Clones are People II
Newmarduk
Shrew

Postby Newmarduk » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:45 pm

This must be a great development.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:40 am

Definitely count me in to support those types of developments. :)
Outtasight!
the_gioy
Shrew

Postby the_gioy » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:38 am

YES! YES! YES! TAKE ALL OF MY MONEY! I have the full XP line of releases and the limited anniversary books as well! Always a good day cycle when I hear news like this!
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:07 pm

A couple of things occur to me for, basically, any idea of a new edition of Paranoia:

1) Make the mechanics and rules even simpler. Based on d6s, preferably.

…and…

2) Support the Core Rules through a series of security clearance supplements. That is Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue, Indigo, Violet. Include character and societal level tweaks, secret societies, history and a few scenarios for each.
Outtasight!
Allen Varney
Banded Mongoose

Postby Allen Varney » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:00 pm

Citizens! My longtime friend James Wallis, designer of the Baron Munchausen RPG and former doyen of Hogshead Publishing, has made this announcement:

"For the last six months I've been making references to an ongoing something in development that I've called 'X Project'. With ten days to go until the Kickstarter launches, I can officially announce that I am lead designer on a reboot of the classic tabletop game Paranoia, an RPG of 'a darkly humourous future'. It's a tale of brave Troubleshooters working to keep their home Alpha Complex and the beloved Computer who looks after them safe from mutants and terrorists who may very well be themselves. It's THX-1138 meets the Marx Brothers, in a world where a paranoid machine is watching everything you do.

"We're giving Paranoia a complete post-9/11 post-Snowden post-Google Glass update, my RED-clearance co-designers are Grant Howitt and Paul Dean, and we are having an approved weight measurement of fun with this. Playtests are going fantastically well. And in ten days the Kickstarter will hit and you won't be able to shut me up on the subject for the next month.

"Remember, stay alert! Trust no-one! And keep your laser handy!"

I urge all loyal citizens to support James and this project wholeheartedly, both in the upcoming Kickstarter campaign and with subsequent organ and blood donations as required.
-- Allen Varney
PARANOIA (2004 edition) writer and designer
Bundle of Holding: http://bundleofholding.com
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:29 pm

And stand by for regular updates leading to the launch of the Kickstarter at 9:30am GMT on Friday 24th October!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:06 am

Kickstarter date noted - check.
Credit card at the ready - check.
Excited by developments and development team - check.

Any new info appreciated! :D
Outtasight!
finestgreen
Cub

Postby finestgreen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:00 am

"bring its tone and setting up to date", "cards and fast-paced tactical action and cascading chaos"

Hmmmmmmmmm, suddenly I'm less excited :(
Danforth
Mongoose

Postby Danforth » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:11 am

finestgreen wrote:"bring its tone and setting up to date", "cards and fast-paced tactical action and cascading chaos"

I hear you, but there's no point releasing an edition that doesn't update things. People are still playing 2nd ed and the 2004 (1st Mongoose) edition, let alone the 25th Anniversary books. A new edition has to offer newness.

Other than Paranoia, the only two RPG products I've bought in the past decade have been Baron Munchausen about five years ago, and Goblin Quest the other month (a Kickstarter which will be delivered next year). Given that the writers of these two games are two of the three writers on the new Paranoia, I am very interested to see what they're doing with cards and counters. And if I want a game about Commie Mutant Traitors instead of Terrorists, I can just run an earlier edition!
Clones are People II
finestgreen
Cub

Postby finestgreen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:16 pm

Danforth wrote:
finestgreen wrote:"bring its tone and setting up to date", "cards and fast-paced tactical action and cascading chaos"

I hear you, but there's no point releasing an edition that doesn't update things. People are still playing 2nd ed and the 2004 (1st Mongoose) edition, let alone the 25th Anniversary books. A new edition has to offer newness.
Don't get me wrong, they're still getting my money :) I'm just a little more nervous than I was
msprange
Site Admin

Postby msprange » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:23 pm

finestgreen wrote: Don't get me wrong, they're still getting my money :) I'm just a little more nervous than I was
I can understand that, but swing by the site on Friday and give it a chance - it really is a good 'un!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
Parody
Shrew

Postby Parody » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:58 am

Hmmmmmmmmm, suddenly I'm less excited

Don't get me wrong, they're still getting my money :) I'm just a little more nervous than I was
My thoughts are pretty much the same. Not a fan of custom dice and cards that generate more requirements for convenient play. Do I have to make cards for everything I make up? :(

As a fan of Paranoia, I'm still likely to buy a copy unless it looks completely unworkable. (Perhaps from my FLGS instead of a Kickstarter?) I might not be switching to it any yearcycle soon, though. We'll see.

It is unfortunate that the other two Mongoose editions have disappeared as if they never existed. It's always nice when you can point people to the closest or exact version you're using. Ah, well.
Michael "Parody-U-MAN-4" Miller
Head of TSOp, MAN Sector
MAN Sector - ESG Labs - Con of the North
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:59 am

My feeling is, having played it a few times now, that the old roll-a-d20 system was actually a mechanical overkill for what we were trying to achieve at the game table. We actually shifted it to a version of the old Ghostbusters system when I last played it as the system was a bit faster we felt.

I’ve no experience of the new system as it stands, so I can’t comment, but I’d be willing to try it.

In my view the essence of Paranoia as a game isn’t found in the way you roll dice or resolve tasks at all - but the comedic aspects of the situations you push players into. If you have a simple system that either allows that to happen or, indeed, enhances the chances of it happening, then it is worth checking out at least.
Outtasight!
Jet
Cub

Postby Jet » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:54 am

I have a question regarding the Character Creation skill selection we were given a sample of in KS. If I were the 5th person to choose a skill, am I required to take the +5 or can I chose to take the -5 and pass the +5 to another player? WillI be allowed to select Computer Hacking -5 giving another player Computer Hacking +5

Why yes friend computer, you are always right. Computer errors are definitely the work of a traitorous saboteur. If only I have the clearance needed to access Troubleshooters Database I may be able to point out who might be capable of such a traitorous act!