Free materials?

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
Bithlord
Cub

Free materials?

Postby Bithlord » Fri May 23, 2014 2:25 pm

So, I get that there is a big Parnaoia announcement/thing coming "soon" (TM). And thats really cool. In the meantime, is there anyway to get the old free materials (Character sheets, badge printouts, etc)?

The complete removal of paranoia form the website makes me worried that its gone for good, even though I can't imagine why they would do that.

-Bith
dprice22
Cub

Re: Free materials?

Postby dprice22 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:55 pm

Bithlord wrote:The complete removal of paranoia form the website makes me worried that its gone for good, even though I can't imagine why they would do that.
It's a discouraging sign for sure, bad enough that it's prompted me to register to discuss it after watching this situation for a while.

Mongoose got the Paranoia licence in 2004, so it would be unsurprising if now, 10 years after that, it were up for renewal or renegotiation. The fact that the free material has been yanked is deeply worrying; there's no logical reason for Mongoose to do that unless the licence had actually lapsed (which would make distributing Paranoia material an intellectual property infringement).

That does not mean that the licence isn't coming back! It's entirely possible that the negotiations have dragged on so long that the licence expired before they could get a new one set up, and the stuff has been pulled purely as a precaution in case negotiations unexpectedly break down. At the same time, the longer things go without a resolution, the more it looks like there's some disagreement or issue which the relevant parties are finding themselves unable to get past, so I don't think Paranoia is guaranteed to come back either.

I know Matt has a lot of demands on his time, as do the original designers. But you'd think that they'd make negotiating the future existence of an entire gameline an overriding priority, unless the gameline were doing so badly that it wouldn't be worth diverting time from other projects for its sake (and if it's doing that badly, why renew the licence?).

Of course, it could all be fine and Mongoose could just be getting ready to launch a cool new Paranoia site. But it's thoughtless and unfriendly to pull the free material in order to do so, and downright eccentric to scrub all mention of Paranoia from the site in the process of that.