Paranoia XP stuff compatible with Paranoia: Troubleshooters?

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
Ecosmith1970
Cub

Paranoia XP stuff compatible with Paranoia: Troubleshooters?

Postby Ecosmith1970 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:06 am

I'm a bit confused about the rules differences between Paranoia XP and the rules in Paranoia: Troubleshooters (This is the 25th anniversary ed, am I right?).

If I got some XP-era adventures, for example, would they be compatible?

Also, does anyone know the rationale behind changing the combat mechanics from the old damage numbers to the 'K3V' mechanic it is now?

And while I'm here, is there another Paranoia community online anywhere? This forum seems a bit quiet. I know Paranoia's a niche game lol, though, so maybe this is it.
Allen Varney
Banded Mongoose

Re: Paranoia XP stuff compatible with Paranoia: Troubleshoot

Postby Allen Varney » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:56 pm

Ecosmith1970 wrote:I'm a bit confused about the rules differences between Paranoia XP and the rules in Paranoia: Troubleshooters (This is the 25th anniversary ed, am I right?). If I got some XP-era adventures, for example, would they be compatible?
Yes, Troubleshooters is almost identical to the 2004 edition. Troubleshooters reinstates the old West End Games treason-point mechanic, removing the 2004 rules to an appendix.
Ecosmith1970 wrote:Also, does anyone know the rationale behind changing the combat mechanics from the old damage numbers to the 'K3V' mechanic it is now?
The Mongoose system sets more convincing floor and ceiling damage thresholds, as opposed to the West End rules where a tacnuke was a 1D100 roll that could produce 1 point of damage, less than a punch in the nose. The current system also gives entertainingly direct situational effects.
Ecosmith1970 wrote:And while I'm here, is there another Paranoia community online anywhere? This forum seems a bit quiet. I know Paranoia's a niche game lol, though, so maybe this is it.
The forums on Paranoia-Live.net have also quieted down, but the site still offers many good resources.
-- Allen Varney
PARANOIA (2004 edition) writer and designer
Bundle of Holding: http://bundleofholding.com
simonh
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Re: Paranoia XP stuff compatible with Paranoia: Troubleshoot

Postby simonh » Thu Sep 19, 2013 3:16 pm

Allen Varney wrote: The Mongoose system sets more convincing floor and ceiling damage thresholds, as opposed to the West End rules where a tacnuke was a 1D100 roll that could produce 1 point of damage, less than a punch in the nose. ...
Spreading rumours that Alpha Complex weapons division tactical nuclear warheads are in any way unreliable, or likely to misfire and fail to function within design parameters, is treason.

Simon Hibbs
Check out StarBase, the open source science fiction campaign mapping application.