Campaign GMing Help needed

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
samoan
Cub

Campaign GMing Help needed

Postby samoan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:56 pm

Hi all,

I am about to start a new Campaign in the world of Paranoia, so far I have 2 people who are in, and few others that are interested. I have done some crazy single shot adventures in the Paranoia world but never a campaign. So I was wondering what resources are out there that can help me plan and start my campaign. Also is there any good starter missions that are premade that I can use to get the players familiar with the game before throwing them into my crazy imagination? It will also help me get a better idea of how a regular expected mission would work.

thanks

Greg
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Re: Campaign GMing Help needed

Postby locarno24 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:07 am

There are quite a few pre-made missions in Signs & Portents, if I remember. I can't remember the issue number, but there's one involving testing airport security using a 'fake' bomb - no, sorry, I mean fake 'bomb', don't I - that always looked good.

Just have a glance through the S&P back catalogue generally.

Other than that, there are quite a few books worth of missions pre-done.

As far as campaigns are concerned, I've never seen much guidance; generally the players don't survive long enough for campaign mechanics to be much of an issue...
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
Allen Varney
Banded Mongoose

Re: Campaign GMing Help needed

Postby Allen Varney » Fri Feb 03, 2012 3:40 pm

The XP-era 2006 rules supplement Extreme PARANOIA has rules for playing characters of all security clearances from ORANGE through VIOLET, as well as extensive advice on running characters up and down the security-clearance rollercoaster. The material on service groups in Service, Service! will help flesh out your setting, and the character-creation rules supplement Criminal Histories can create backstories for your characters.

As for an introductory mission, the missions in Signs & Portents are uneven in quality and play style. I suggest instead looking for Ken Rolston's "Robot Imana 665-C" in one of the Flashbacks volumes, or simply generating a mission using the tables in the Troubleshooters rulebook. The official PARANOIA development blog has, along its right sidebar, links to advice about running PARANOIA for the first time. Good luck!
-- Allen Varney
PARANOIA (2004 edition) writer and designer
Bundle of Holding: http://bundleofholding.com