Higher Security Clearance = New Skills?

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
Troubleshooter Zero
Cub

Higher Security Clearance = New Skills?

Postby Troubleshooter Zero » Tue May 17, 2011 2:10 pm

Greetings, all. I've GMed Paranoia quite a few times in the past, but recently I've started running a game for seasoned role players. These poor schmucks/-er, I mean "Troubleshooters" are new to Paranoia, but very familiar with other, non-fun rpgs. My players, for some strange reason, actually BELIEVE their characters will not only survive for numerous sessions, but likely long enough to be promoted to higher security clearances! Isn't ignorance bliss? But I digress. My question is this: While Paranoia: Troubleshooters sights the Computer's Pet award as a way to advance in security clearance, are there any perks you get at these higher clearances? Where can I find them? Is there a device in the game that lets you increase your skill ranks besides your Service Group specialty? I have no intention of using these, but I'd like to have a plausible carrot to dangle on the of a stick in front of them/- I mean, that is to say, "I want to create an engaging and intriguing narrative for my players, because nothing brings more joy to a GM than their happiness." :twisted:
Allen Varney
Banded Mongoose

Postby Allen Varney » Tue May 17, 2011 2:49 pm

The 2006 rules supplement Extreme PARANOIA (now out of print) has rules for characters of all security clearances from ORANGE through VIOLET, with very extensive discussions of the perks available at each clearance.

Be careful not to confuse "higher security clearance" with "greater competence." Clearance != skill. Clearance is strictly a measure of how much The Computer trusts you, and nothing else. The RED janitor you're talking to may be a hopeless nebbish, or he may be James Bond. Again, Extreme PARANOIA discusses this at great length.
-- Allen Varney
PARANOIA (2004 edition) writer and designer
Bundle of Holding: http://bundleofholding.com
Troubleshooter Zero
Cub

Postby Troubleshooter Zero » Tue May 17, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks for the speedy reply, Mr. Varney! I think I am making the mistake of likening higher security clearances to "better" characters. Is there any system to add new skills/upgrade existing ones in Paranoia: Troubleshooters?
"Feliz seria que hora."
RichardP
Stoat

Postby RichardP » Sun Jun 26, 2011 4:23 pm

DOA sector has lots of details on accommodation, food etc you can experience at the various clearances.
Allen Varney
Banded Mongoose

Postby Allen Varney » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:23 pm

The DOA Sector Travelog was a PARANOIA supplement published in 1989 by the game's original publisher, West End Games. The supplement, a set of location descriptions, was for PARANOIA's 2nd edition, and it's been out of print for most of 20 years.

Mongoose's 2004 edition of PARANOIA included brief rules for improving skills and existing specialties and acquiring new specialties; evidently these rules, such as they were, didn't make it into Troubleshooters, though I don't have my copy handy to check. In brief:

Increasing a basic skill by 1 costs 5x the new rating number in Perversity points. For instance, raising Violence from 9 to 10 costs (10x5=) 50 points. Increasing a skill doesn't increase its related specialty ratings.

Increased specialty or Secret skill ratings: 5 points per +1 increase.

New specialties: Common specialties cost 20 points and start at (governing skill +4). Narrow specialties cost the same and start at (governing skill +6).

New Secret skills: 20 points. In Straight games new skills start at 1; in Zap, 1d20 divided in half (round up); in Classic games, the GM will tell you the skill's starting rating.
-- Allen Varney
PARANOIA (2004 edition) writer and designer
Bundle of Holding: http://bundleofholding.com
IanW
Stoat

Re: Higher Security Clearance = New Skills?

Postby IanW » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:40 am

Friend Citizen,

This is a Troubleshooter wearing Red clearance troubleshooter armour, and uses a Red barrel on his laser pistol.

This is a Vulture Squad Member wearing Green clearance Vulture Squad armour. He uses a Green barrel on his laser rifle.

This is a HIL Sector Blue trooper. He is wearing Blue clearance Trooper armour. He uses a Blue barrel on his laser carbine.

Let us assume some Commie Mutuant Traitor acquires a Red laser barrel. It will be somewhat effective against the Red clearance troubleshooter, possibly slightly singing the Green clearance Vulture Squad member, and completely ineffective against the Blue Trooper armour.

As well, Research and Development will certainly provide the very best and well developed improvements to higher security clearance Citizens, after lower security clearance Citizens have shown their loyalty to the Computer by extensively field testing them.

I hope this brief explaination assists you, friend citizen.