whats with all the one shot adventures coming out?

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
Sedric the Hero
Stoat

whats with all the one shot adventures coming out?

Postby Sedric the Hero » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 am

whats with all the one shot adventures coming out for Paranoia? i mean does anyone buy these things?...i once heard that, generally speaking, most single adventures don't sell well. And I prefer either sourcebooks or collections of adventures that I can pick and choose thru.
TrippyHippy
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby TrippyHippy » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 am

They are good to download.
Outtasight!
Danforth
Mongoose

Postby Danforth » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:07 am

Matt did say (in 2008's State of the Mongoose IIRC) that the "attach rate" for 2004 edition Paranoia adventures was one of the lowest for any of their RPG ranges. So I guess they're trying "low risk" adventures that cost less to write and print, and see what happens.

In my experience, Paranoia play wanders from the written point so regularly that you don't lose anything by running it from a short adventure - GM and players get just as much out of a 32-page adventure (or collection of three 10-page adventures, which is what some of the new ones are!) as from a longer module. Customers carry on as before, Mongoose lays out less money upfront in getting the materials out there (note the identikit covers too, further reducing costs).

If any Mongoose staffers are willing/able to divulge, I'd be interested to know if the attach rate for fluff-oriented or rules-based supplements (Stuff, Extreme Paranoia) was better or worse than for adventures, and whether the Flashbacks collections of recycled West End Games modules bucked the low attach rate trend.

I still cross my fingers for a worthy update of 2nd ed's DOA Sector Travelogue. Although Allen Varney has pinpointed it as the start of the decline, there was some good stuff in there amidst the dross and the beginnings of the dread metaplot. I like me some world fluff, especially funny and adventure-seed-provoking world fluff. Though as the buying audience is apparently tiny I may end up writing it myself :)
Clones are People II
Arkku
Weasel

Postby Arkku » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:32 pm

Danforth wrote:a 32-page adventure (or collection of three 10-page adventures, which is what some of the new ones are!)
Which one isn't a collection of three 10-page adventures? Treason in Word and Deed is still described as one adventure, but that, too, is a collection of three adventures…

Personally I'm not very happy about this turn in the product line; rather release “fluff books” with a mini-adventure or two thrown in as extras, but these pre-made adventures seem like something that could be rolled from a mission generator. And what's with the lack of cover art; every module has the same picture, just different colour.