Good 4-hour introductiry adventure

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.

You have traitorous thoughts:

Almost never.
No votes
Occasionally.
No votes
With alarming frequency.
100%

Total votes: 7
ericphillips
Stoat

Good 4-hour introductiry adventure

Postby ericphillips » Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:12 am

I have a 4 hour slot to fill at a local gaming event. They want me to show off Paranoia. I am looking for an awesome adventure that can be played in under 4-hours, and is good for teaching the game (mainly how to be a troubleshooter, not rules, but the "this is what the world is like" thing).

Outline, idea, complete adventure. Whatever you think might help, please post.

--Eric
Standback
Cub

Postby Standback » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:21 pm

I highly recommend "Stealth Train," from the "Crash Priority" collection, as an excellent introduction to Paranoia. It's quintessential Complex Alpha: the Troubleshooters are sent to guard an invisible train. What really makes this one shine is how the game keeps building higher and higher, twistier and more convoluted, upon that basic premise... I've run this game at least three times, mostly for beginners. It's just what the docbot ordered.
Allen Varney
Banded Mongoose

Postby Allen Varney » Thu Mar 12, 2009 3:49 pm

Dan Curtis Johnson's "Stealth Train" is a great choice. Other top choices include Ken Rolston's "Robot Imana-667C" and Greg Costikyan's "Whitewash," the short Code 7 mini-mission, both reprinted in Flashbacks. Stephen Crane and Peter Corless's "Me and My Shadow Mark 4," from the same book, is terrific but usually runs a little more than four hours.
-- Allen Varney
PARANOIA (2004 edition) writer and designer
Bundle of Holding: http://bundleofholding.com
Gentleman John
Mongoose

Postby Gentleman John » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:51 pm

Out of those, I'd say Whitewash is probably the best. I first ran it over 20 years ago, and my ex-gaming group still talk about it.
ericphillips
Stoat

Postby ericphillips » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:43 pm

Allright. Couldn't find any copies of Crash Priority around. Ended up making an adventure based around a simple pickup package and delivery. Introduced the basic mission framework (Get Mission, Mission Screws Up, Debrief, Kill traitors), and it went well.
darth_azabrush
Banded Mongoose

Postby darth_azabrush » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:15 pm

I ran Me and My Shadow Mark IV followed by Stealth train. That game swelled in numbers once word got round and even today its one of my all time biggest groups (thank you Traitor Recycling Studio for the extra MBDs)