Troubleshooter Pre-Gen Team

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
Aahz
Shrew

Troubleshooter Pre-Gen Team

Postby Aahz » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:01 pm

Hey guys,

For the past few years, I have run Paranoia at a (somewhat) local convention, and it is usually very well received. (A full table of players every time.) My game is somewhere between Zap and Classic. I have been using the Troubleshooter team from Crash Priority (I think - the team with TWO Team Leaders?) but this year it is time for a change and I need to come up with a new pre-gen team. As the time-saving option, are there any good pre-gen teams available online? (Note: I am looking for a team that has a "thread" of rumor, secret society instructions, etc. that lends itself to conflict.)

I have been considering creating a team based on old "Dukes of Hazzard" TV show characters:
Boss-R-HOG
Roscoe-R-HZD
Bo-R-DUK
Daisy-R-DUK
Luke-R-DUK
Jesse-R-DUK

I also began pondering an idea last night where at least two characters (but maybe all Troubleshooters) are members of the Illuminati, but don't realize they are both Illuminati. Unknown to either, one actually reports to the other. One (T1) reports a password for his "fake" secret society to his superior (T2). T2 orders T1 to use this password as much as possible to discover other members. Of course, while on the mission, T1 is using the password around T2, who then recognizes T1 as a member of the "fake" secret society but not necessarily as his underling. Just seems like it might make for an interesting situation. Anyone played around with a team of Illuminati in this manner?

I also hope to be able to include a Troubleshooter bot. (I just ordered Big Book of Bots on the assumption that such a bot is available.)

Any other ideas/suggestions for pre-gen character conflict fun?

Thanks,
Kerry
Allen Varney
Banded Mongoose

Postby Allen Varney » Wed Jan 07, 2009 4:08 am

By far your best source of pregenerated Troubleshooter mission teams is the FriendComputer.net Teams page. There Traitor Recycling Studio member WJ MacGuffin offers four different teams in three formats apiece (text, MS Word, and .PDF).

The Animalball site includes actual-play recounting of several historic PARANOIA missions, some quite lengthy. Some of these, such as the unfinished iMick (.PDF link) include pregenerated Troubleshooter PCs.

When I packaged the PARANOIA support line, I always meant to get around to presenting a mission team where, due to a mishap in the Mandatory Bonus Duty assignment program, all team members were Hygiene Officers. And I wanted to assign them a bunch of scrubots in dire need of personality therapy. I figured at some point they'd absolutely have to go into the sewers, the Waste Recycling Subdivision, chemical waste pits, the Underplex....
-- Allen Varney
PARANOIA (2004 edition) writer and designer
Bundle of Holding: http://bundleofholding.com
Aahz
Shrew

Postby Aahz » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:41 pm

Allen Varney wrote:When I packaged the PARANOIA support line, I always meant to get around to presenting a mission team where, due to a mishap in the Mandatory Bonus Duty assignment program, all team members were Hygiene Officers. And I wanted to assign them a bunch of scrubots in dire need of personality therapy. I figured at some point they'd absolutely have to go into the sewers, the Waste Recycling Subdivision, chemical waste pits, the Underplex....
Ha! I can definitely see the tortu... I mean, fun, that the players would go through. Excellent!

By the way, although I have only recently joined the forum, I noticed that you are very active around here helping folks and although you may not remember it, last year you gave me some good advice/help for my con game (on the Paranoia mailing list). Thanks for all the help! Per the Recognizing Honorable Citizens & Eyebrow Maintenance Initiative, you are definitely a valuable resource to the Complex and Friend Computer. (And if you ever happen to attend MidSouthCon in Memphis, TN, please let me know.)

Kerry