Paranoia MUD/MOO interest check and legality

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
Senso
Cub

Paranoia MUD/MOO interest check and legality

Postby Senso » Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi,

I've been pondering about making a text-based Paranoia-based MUD for a few years now and I've recently started coding again.

This would be of course a 100% free fan project, not affiliated to Mongoose Publishing. But before I start really pouring hours into this project, I'd like to make sure I will not get sued in the first week of going public.

So my questions are mostly targetted at the Mongoose Publishing people but I'd also like to hear everybody's thoughts about that project. Does that sounds interesting or not, would you play or not, etc.?

- What is the general attitude towards free fan projects like this one? Is Mongoose cracking down on everybody using some of their intellectual property for recreational purposes?

- What if I don't use the official rules and come up with an original and simple RPG system and only use the Paranoia world and theme? Would that be better?

- Am I doomed and should I immediately stop wasting time on this or should I go on?
Allen Varney
Banded Mongoose

Postby Allen Varney » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:22 pm

Mongoose Publishing licenses the rights to PARANOIA from the game's owners and original co-designers: Eric Goldberg, Greg Costikyan, and Dan Gelber. You need to write to Greg Costikyan, who handles all such inquiries: costik (at) costik (dot) com.
-- Allen Varney
PARANOIA (2004 edition) writer and designer
Bundle of Holding: http://bundleofholding.com
Senso
Cub

Postby Senso » Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:07 pm

Thanks Allen, I didn't realize Greg Costikyan and the others still held the rights - I've sent him an email.

That said, I still welcome thoughts from everybody on this project.