Clone origins

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
MonkeyX
Mongoose

Clone origins

Postby MonkeyX » Sat Jul 28, 2018 7:56 pm

I’ve been wondering, as there are no official births in the AlphaComplex and haven’t been for quite some time where do the citizens actually come from? My theory is there is a huge database of clone profiles that the Computer can use to fill Alpha Complex when needed and that these profiles may date back a loooong time, meaning a few once famous celebrity clones are now working in the tax office. Any thoughts?
Gentleman John
Mongoose

Re: Clone origins

Postby Gentleman John » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:51 am

In the past I've toyed with various ideas on clones. At the minute I lean towards a model based on random recombination of DNA to ensure a variety in the supply of new citizens. But there's no reason why Friend Computer would not maintain a database of appropriate DNA templates. There's a lot of potential for - ahem - creativity in your suggestion.
tbug
Shrew

Postby tbug » Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:02 pm

Whatever the method, it certainly allows for a lot of mutations to enter the gene pool. I've always felt like the computer makes up new clone DNA based on existing clones.

Wasn't there a bit in the old XP-era Underplex book where some pre-apocalypse humans were stored in cryo-storage and they weren't recognized as human by the Computer because they were genetically so different from existing clones?
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:35 am

Gentleman John wrote:
Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:51 am
In the past I've toyed with various ideas on clones. At the minute I lean towards a model based on random recombination of DNA to ensure a variety in the supply of new citizens. But there's no reason why Friend Computer would not maintain a database of appropriate DNA templates. There's a lot of potential for - ahem - creativity in your suggestion.
Indeed. Even if we assume the clone is 'randomly generated' from a relatively small pool - a human has 46 chromosomes, in 23 pairs - you can get a frightening number of combinations with relatively few starting options. With only two options for each chromosome, randomly picking, you can get seventy million, million unique individuals.

However, in a setting like Paranoia, million-to-one chances crop up nine times out of ten, so yes, there's always the chance that a genetically identical individual pops out of a cloning vat to a previous - or even currently existing - clone. I'm sure that Friend Computer has a carefully designed census-checking failsafe to stop that happening, and I'm equally certain it doesn't actually work in practice...

...Which could lead to interesting situations if, say, a new clone were to have the face as a celebrity. Or worse, the same DNA and tongueprint as a high programmer. Or what happens if a vat complex gets 'locked' into one specific combination and keeps churning out Im-U-TOO, over and over again until dozens, hundreds, or even thousands of this one clone are overrunning a sector.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.