Why is Paranoia so great?

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.
wjmacguffin
Shrew

Why is Paranoia so great?

Postby wjmacguffin » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:07 pm

Greetings, citizens! While we both know that 'Paranoia is fun, other games are not-fun, play Paranoia', I wrote a post explaining exactly why Paranoia is so great. What do you think?

http://happybishopgames.tumblr.com/post ... -by-gamers
Silent
Shrew

Re: Why is Paranoia so great?

Postby Silent » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:41 pm

+1 from me. I like the fact that you mentioned the "satire and dark humor", as that's probably the biggest selling point for PARANOIA (at least in my opinion). And because the game is so flexible (and the GM is always right), it's very easy to drop in new mechanics and fluff into the game, to satirize even more stuff. And if it doesn't work out, then just roll them back and declare the whole incident as Unhistory.

Two examples of what I mean. First, I remembered hosting a few PARANOIA sessions that satirizes elections - and they worked very well (just limit the scope of the elected positions so that the elections don't *really* matter in the grand scheme of things and are more like "distractions" for the proles). Second, back when P-Live was around, somebody posted that they satirized cryptocurrencies (or more specifically, Bitcoin) by having The Computer adopt a new mineable currency and having people 'mine' them on their PDCs.