Secret society keyword confusion

Paranoia is Fun. Other games are not Fun. Buy Paranoia.

Secret society keyword confusion

Postby Meldinoor » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:33 pm

Hey guys,
I just got my boxed set of Paranoia Red Clearance Edition, and I'm looking forward to getting a group of friends together and trying it out soon.
I love the secret societies, and for the most part, the rules governing them and their descriptions were very straight-forward. However, on page 39. of the Gamemaster's Handbook there is a diagram (an 8-pointed star) showing which of the society keywords are sympathetic and antipathetic. The diagram clearly shows "diversify" and "progress" as antipathetic to each other.

My questions are:
1. How can "Free Enterprise" embrace both "diversify" and "progress"? Are they antipathetic to themselves? To nobody?
2. Why are "diversify" and "progress" antipathetic anyway? Pro Human-Pro Tech, Order-Disorder, and Isolate-Explore all make sense as each-others' opposites, but I don't see why "diversify" should be the opposite of "progress".

Would be nice to know how to interpret these keywords in order to roleplay the different secret societies well.

Re: Secret society keyword confusion

Postby Shai » Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:19 pm

From what I understand (from reading the specific cards and UV level clones that have Progress or Diversify as keywords), Progress-Diversify are like a scale of art and expression supporters and research and development supporters. So you could have a Pro-Human Progress who would work on technological enhancements or mutations for the sake of overthrowing the computer. You could also have a Pro-Tech and Diversify who believes that every clone should be unique for the sake of helping the computer by expressing their love in their own manner (or divide and conquer, that also works).
The reason that the Free Enterprise work by being both Progress & Diversify is because they have the goal of selling anyone anything. They can change their opinions to anything as long as they see a profit out of it. (Or they might prefer Progress so that they can "patent" anything and Diversify so they can sell to as many as possible.)