Cruisers vs a Single Battleship

Join the open playtest for the WWII naval combat game.

Moderator: rcbecker1

SMQ4
Cub

Re: Cruisers vs a Single Battleship

Postby SMQ4 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 1:28 am

I have completed solo playtests of:
DD vs. DD
DD vs. CA and CL
DD Vs. BB BA etc
CA/CL Vs. CL/CA
CL/CA Vs. BB/BA
BA vS. BB and BB Vs. BA
But have not yet used any aircraft carriers and waiting to do subs (submersibles) and aircraft.

Unchanged in my mind is that the probability to hit a small, fast moving, evading, target - say a PT or DD by any gun is small, especially in bad weather. Once hit however its only armor Vs. shell (and sometimes angle). A 15 inch round is usually devastating on a smaller, less armored vessel. Inversely hitting a slower, larger ship is of course not automatic, just better probability, but damage is strictly dependent on location. I feel the rules in their current form do a decent job of approaching and approximating this with small exceptions. This is always the case with Gaussian curves - that the extremes tend to be distortions of reality. Evaluating this in solo games was easy. Next week we will begin a group play test (again no submersibles or aircraft) to reevaluate the abouve conditions and will report back with the results and comments. After individual ship types we will be doing a convoy to Malta scenario (Royal Navy Vs. Regia Marina) in the Second Battle of Sirte. If weather is not accounted for this could be/should be a slight mismatch. We will play test it at least three times. Hope to report then.
Stephen