Light Guns & Restricted

Join the open playtest for the WWII naval combat game.

Moderator: rcbecker1

Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Light Guns & Restricted

Postby Greg Smith » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:46 pm

I was looking at ships and thinking about points, when I saw this:
Atlanta-class Light Cruiser (Group 1) 100 Points
Ships of this class: Atlanta, Juneau, San Diego, San Juan

Type: Cruiser

Weapon Range AD AP DD Special
Light Guns (16 x 5 in) 18” 10 -2 1 DP, Restricted, Weak
AAA - - - - Local 2

Light Guns (16 x 5 in): Only 4 Attack Dice may be fired into the front and aft arcs and 9 into the port and starboard arcs.
It has 10 AD of lights guns. Restricted means it can fire only 5 fore and aft, but can fire 10 to port or starboard. Except it can't it can only fire 4 and 9 respectively.

Two questions spring to mind, if you need that level of detail, why not give light guns arcs?
And, Why not just give it 9 AD of light guns anyway?

One final point, we've forgotten about Restricted in almost every game we've played. Heck, sometimes I even forget to fire the light guns at all if there aren't destroyers about. I really think light guns should be kept simple.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
dacis2
Shrew

Re: Light Guns & Restricted

Postby dacis2 » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:05 am

Restricted means it can only fire half dice into port and starboard arcs, not fore and aft. As an aggressive destroyer user this is a very important when trying to torp battleships! :)

Atlanta should probably not have that rule at all, and just use ship specific light gun restrictions
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Re: Light Guns & Restricted

Postby Greg Smith » Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:24 am

So the the Atlanta can only fire 5 port and starboard, but its special restriction says 9. There's something a bit wrong there.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral