Welcome to the Open Playtest

Join the open playtest for the WWII naval combat game.

Moderator: rcbecker1

msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14459
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Welcome to the Open Playtest (start here)

Postby msprange » Thu May 31, 2018 9:06 am

This is certainly an area to look at and, agreed, there is a step too many in evading torps.

The one balancing factor on all of this is that I feel we have got the damage of torps right (good chance of sinking a cruiser, and they will ruin a battleships day), and so we need to make them difficult to use - if not, the game will become all about torps and nothing else. As it is, you have to weather the incoming fire of most of the enemy fleet before you get to launch your nastiest weapon. Which works.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14459
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Welcome to the Open Playtest (start here)

Postby msprange » Thu May 31, 2018 9:44 am

Okay, I have been pondering this...

In the next revision, the Evading Torpedoes mechanic will be removed entirely, for a number of reasons...

1. It was a mechanical step too far, requiring the players to go through too many actions.
2. In a game that is supposed to be simple, deleting rules is a Good Thing.
3. The Evasive action, when applied to torps, works perfectly well.
4. By pushing this onto the Evasive action, players now have to predict when torps may be coming in, and pay a price in the inaccuracy of their own weapons when they get it wrong (still inaccurate when they get it right, but the benefits of causing a torp to miss will far outweigh that!).

By all means try this out in your games now, and let me know how you get on!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
dacis2
Shrew
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:54 am

Re: Welcome to the Open Playtest (start here)

Postby dacis2 » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:04 am

Just noticed that Fletcher does not have Agile. Is this a mistake?
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14459
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Welcome to the Open Playtest (start here)

Postby msprange » Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am

dacis2 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:04 am
Just noticed that Fletcher does not have Agile. Is this a mistake?
Probably not, but I'll look into it.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
dacis2
Shrew
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:54 am

Re: Welcome to the Open Playtest (start here)

Postby dacis2 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:33 am

msprange wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 11:21 am
dacis2 wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:04 am
Just noticed that Fletcher does not have Agile. Is this a mistake?
Probably not, but I'll look into it.
Thanks, it's the only destroyer I've seen that doesn't have it, and it seems odd for them to be less maneuverable than US heavy cruisers which do have the rule.
msprange
Site Admin
Posts: 14459
Joined: Mon Aug 18, 2003 4:25 pm

Re: Welcome to the Open Playtest (start here)

Postby msprange » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:33 am

dacis2 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:33 am

Thanks, it's the only destroyer I've seen that doesn't have it, and it seems odd for them to be less maneuverable than US heavy cruisers which do have the rule.
Okay, I have consulted the Official Naval Boffins on this one, and they sent me a fair bit of text back covering tactical diameters and rudders. The upshot is... it is not Agile because it does not turn very well :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
dacis2
Shrew
Posts: 14
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:54 am

Re: Welcome to the Open Playtest (start here)

Postby dacis2 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:45 am

msprange wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:33 am
dacis2 wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:33 am

Thanks, it's the only destroyer I've seen that doesn't have it, and it seems odd for them to be less maneuverable than US heavy cruisers which do have the rule.
Okay, I have consulted the Official Naval Boffins on this one, and they sent me a fair bit of text back covering tactical diameters and rudders. The upshot is... it is not Agile because it does not turn very well :)
Thanks for looking into it. If that's what the numbers say then that's that.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests