Ape gang balance

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Vitarays
Cub

Ape gang balance

Postby Vitarays » Sat May 31, 2014 11:20 am

I was creating an ape gang force and noticed they are much more expensive than punks, can have no psychic abilities, and are EXTREMELY limited in their mercenary selection. I understand not taking humans, but no robodoc? The Gorilla gangster and vigilante are the only two that can actually fight. A futsie can turn on you, a vid reporter can't fight, and a chimp could just be hired normally. Also, not a single unit that starts at shooting+1 which means if you have an orangutan (the only figure with a rifle you can use), he can not reach the top of the sniper talent tree without bionic eyes which he can not get without surviving a head shot.

Anyone who has played an ape gang, is their special swinging apes ability enough of an advantage to make up for these handicaps?
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Re: Ape gang balance

Postby Da Boss » Sun Jun 01, 2014 9:43 am

I play the Ape gang quite often for pick up games and tend to use:

Gorilla Hero - +1 Will and +1 AN other stat.
Orang Hero - +1 Shoot and +1 Agility (giving a hefty +3 Agility), Long Rifle, Armour.
Chimps - usually minions with some heroes.

They are also pretty quick (Orang's and Chimps 6" move ) and with good multi-level terrain this can be important as they scale sheer surfaces.

Are they the best - not sure but I do find that I have great fun with them - especially making Ape noises :)
Vitarays
Cub

Postby Vitarays » Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:38 am

Ok great. I just wanted to hear from someone who has played a game or two with them. So you felt they held up just fine?
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Mon Jun 02, 2014 9:59 pm

Yeah by and large - an Orang Sniper is very good with armour and in cover :) give him Crack shot and Accurate and have fun.

We seldom play with Mercenaries though........

Although you could always expermient with some psychic apes :)
Avm_68
Cub

Postby Avm_68 » Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:09 pm

I like the Gorilla Melee model and using the multi level ability to try and stay out of line if sight. The third being the long shot Orang-described before.

Maybe get yourself a Travis Perkins model and give a Gorilla a Katana, Skilled and Deadly and This is My "Chsinsaw" traits for a bit if a Melee monster!
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:13 pm

A gorilla with a katana on a bike and Drive-by Boot talent is horrible.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral