SF Fleet box

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
thelostcity
Shrew

SF Fleet box

Postby thelostcity » Tue Aug 13, 2013 1:22 pm

Hi

Are you planning on getting anymore of the Starfleet Fleet boxes back in stock (the large ones where you get the mini rulebook included), I'd be looking for either the Federation or Klingon one.
Lincolnlog
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: SF Fleet box

Postby Lincolnlog » Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:19 pm

This is non-official but over on the other forum it was stated that they will not produced for a while, if ever again. I'd search the web, that's your best bet. And do it soon.

Bob
SneakyPete
Mongoose

Postby SneakyPete » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:00 am

My local game store has quite a few stocked in Everett, they have a web store, you need to do a seach for "call to arms" from that website.
Mugu games in Everett, WA., a great place to play ACtA StarFleet. Lots of players and product.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:54 am

Hi guys,

We are indeed looking to phase out the fleet sets (if you have one on order, it will be sent to you as soon as our manufacturing comes back online), and instead do a starter set - that will likely be a little ways down the road.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
mdauben
Mongoose

Postby mdauben » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:02 pm

msprange wrote:We are indeed looking to phase out the fleet sets (if you have one on order, it will be sent to you as soon as our manufacturing comes back online), and instead do a starter set - that will likely be a little ways down the road.
I'm actually a bit sorry to hear that. I bought all five of the existing fleet boxes as they were good ways to build up a nice size fleet quickly and easily. Is the "starter set" going to be an actual starter; with two playable fleets and perhaps one of the mini-rulebooks that come in the fleet boxes? That might be nice for actual beginners would probably have minimal interest for the existing player base (I know I'd have no need/interest in such a product).

Does this mean we are going to be stuck with the poorly constructed "squadron" boxes or buying single figures for building our future fleets? Hopefully you will at least start releasing the individual figures at the same time as any future starter or squadron boxes. :?
Mike
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby billclo » Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:19 pm

mdauben wrote: I'm actually a bit sorry to hear that. I bought all five of the existing fleet boxes as they were good ways to build up a nice size fleet quickly and easily. Is the "starter set" going to be an actual starter; with two playable fleets and perhaps one of the mini-rulebooks that come in the fleet boxes? That might be nice for actual beginners would probably have minimal interest for the existing player base (I know I'd have no need/interest in such a product).

Does this mean we are going to be stuck with the poorly constructed "squadron" boxes or buying single figures for building our future fleets? Hopefully you will at least start releasing the individual figures at the same time as any future starter or squadron boxes. :?
There has been some discussion on the FedCom board about alternatives, such as possibly a 2-pack of ships (beyond frigates), or 3-pack squadrons of a particular ship as a way to reduce the per ship cost. Or of a "Fleet Builder Box". Come on over and contribute. :)

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federatio ... php?t=5081
kyrolon
Stoat

Postby kyrolon » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:36 am

Why does it seem so many discussions critical to ACTA take place on the FedCom board? Matt? Any input on this? Won't the ADB people other than Jean come onto this board?
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:01 am

There are a number of problems here in my view:

ADB appear to have insisted that there old format box sets were kept to support their other ranges,
Mongoose appear to have wanted new format "fleet" boxes to sell for their new "fleet" game.

So we ended up with a mish mash of boxes -as one previous poster put "poorly constructed" - well the ADB ones are for ACTA but they are not intended for ACTA players really - but more the other ranges - SFB and FC which I assume they work well for. Now what ACTA payers are unlikely to want is numerous dreadnoughts etc which is what you got by buying squadron boxes.

A decent ACTA themed starter set with rules and two fleets, Fed versus Klingons - maybe Gorn vs Romulans as well. I think you want a couple each of Heavy Crusers / War Cruisers, and 5 or 6 Destroyers and Frigates with maybe a flagship for the fleet.
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby billclo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:09 pm

kyrolon wrote:Why does it seem so many discussions critical to ACTA take place on the FedCom board? Matt? Any input on this? Won't the ADB people other than Jean come onto this board?
Steve Cole does not come here, apparently. Guess he's too busy. I do try to pass along message threads to him from time to time for him to be informed about, but he doesn't post here.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:21 pm

mdauben wrote: Is the "starter set" going to be an actual starter; with two playable fleets
That is the idea.
mdauben wrote:
The squadron boxes will stay, as that is part of our agreement, but no doubt we will have other multi-ship 'deals' down the road.
kyrolon wrote:Why does it seem so many discussions critical to ACTA take place on the FedCom board? Matt? Any input on this? Won't the ADB people other than Jean come onto this board?
As Marketing Person at ADB, it is part of Jean's role to show up here from time to time.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
mdauben
Mongoose

Postby mdauben » Thu Aug 15, 2013 2:28 pm

billclo wrote: There has been some discussion on the FedCom board about alternatives, such as possibly a 2-pack of ships (beyond frigates), or 3-pack squadrons of a particular ship as a way to reduce the per ship cost. Or of a "Fleet Builder Box". Come on over and contribute. :)
I'm new over there, so I had to register. Waiting for my account activation email now before I can actually log in. :roll:
msprange wrote:The squadron boxes will stay, as that is part of our agreement, but no doubt we will have other multi-ship 'deals' down the road.
Thanks for the input, Matt! :D

Has anyone over at ADB ever provided any reasoning as to their insistence on maintaining the contents of those squadron boxes? They just don't seem very well designed for either beginners or established players. In any case, I'm glad to hear that there will be other multi-ship deals at some point. Buying singletons has really slowed my fleet building quite a bit. :wink:
Mike
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby billclo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:28 pm

mdauben wrote: Has anyone over at ADB ever provided any reasoning as to their insistence on maintaining the contents of those squadron boxes? They just don't seem very well designed for either beginners or established players. In any case, I'm glad to hear that there will be other multi-ship deals at some point. Buying singletons has really slowed my fleet building quite a bit. :wink:
I think they said at one point that they had to maintain the same contents to keep the retailers happy (less confusion on the retailer's part).
I'm new over there, so I had to register. Waiting for my account activation email now before I can actually log in. :roll:
I think there is a VIP code you can enter to register on the FedCom forum... "82427"
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:21 pm

The other problem is that if you have certain types of email you will never receive account approval for the Fedcomm boards. I've tried joining in the past and it just won't work.
Old B5W developer and professional shut in.
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:37 pm

On the subject of starter sets I've been looking with a certain amount of envy at the Dropzone Commander set.

Plastics for the most common ships (essentially doing a plastic squadron sprue with heavy cruiser, light cruiser, 2-3 small ships) would leave metals and resins for the bigger ticket items (BCs, DNs, BBs).

If I had more than two pennies to rub together I'd put money in a starter set with plastics. Terrain could be handled with a couple of card sheets and people could sort out their own black cloth.

Throw in a revised 2nd ed rulebook containing all the errata (and possibly a good amount or all of the stuff from the next book) and your golden.
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby billclo » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Ben2 wrote:On the subject of starter sets I've been looking with a certain amount of envy at the Dropzone Commander set.

Plastics for the most common ships (essentially doing a plastic squadron sprue with heavy cruiser, light cruiser, 2-3 small ships) would leave metals and resins for the bigger ticket items (BCs, DNs, BBs).

If I had more than two pennies to rub together I'd put money in a starter set with plastics. Terrain could be handled with a couple of card sheets and people could sort out their own black cloth.

Throw in a revised 2nd ed rulebook containing all the errata (and possibly a good amount or all of the stuff from the next book) and your golden.
The problem, from what Steve Cole has said in the past, is that plastic miniature molds are horribly expensive, much higher than molds for pewter.
mdauben
Mongoose

Postby mdauben » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:09 pm

billclo wrote:I think there is a VIP code you can enter to register on the FedCom forum... "82427"
Yeah, it wouldn't let me even register until I found that code. :roll:
Ben2 wrote:The other problem is that if you have certain types of email you will never receive account approval for the Fedcomm boards. I've tried joining in the past and it just won't work.
I'm wondering if Yahoo is one of those addresses, as its been hours and no activation email. :x
Mike
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:35 pm

billclo wrote:
Ben2 wrote:On the subject of starter sets I've been looking with a certain amount of envy at the Dropzone Commander set.

The problem, from what Steve Cole has said in the past, is that plastic miniature molds are horribly expensive, much higher than molds for pewter.
They are. While the price has come down a lot in recent years, but prices I've seen quoted are $5-10k. Mongoose have an advantage in that they've got digital sculpts done for their range which would reduce up front costs, but they'd want to go the China + CAD route as it is significantly cheaper than 3 ups followed by the process to scale them down. Getting a decent size sprue done in the UK would be 30-50k (and that's in pounds).

However a SFU starter set kickstarter with an initial target of $50k to do everything (1 sprue for Fed, Klingon, Romulan, Gorn, card terrain and rulebook) might be doable.

There would need to be a lot of prep for such a kickstarter though, because you'd need constant updates to get additional pledgers, keep pledgers and get people to up pledges. I'd love to see a plastic civilian sprue, and plastic sprues for all the Alpha Octant and Fed/Kling/Rom sprues for the war hulls, but any SFU kickstarter would have to be meticulously planned with stretch goals mapped out, digital sculpts done, prototypes done and other promo material all lined up ready before the kickstarter started.

The Dredd kickstarter was very successful, the Rogue Trooper kickstarter was sort of successful and the Meerkat kickstarter didn't succeed, so Mongoose kickstarters have been mixed. I think the SFU has the potential to be bigger than the Dredd kickstarter but would need a lot of work setting it up.

Gates of Antares had some big names attached to it, but hadn't got an awful lot to show and so stalled. Kickstarter can be a brilliant tool, as Mantic have found (getting more than $1,000,000 for Deadzone) but Mantic put an incredible amount of effort in, and even though they are selling a new intellectual property, they marketed it very well. SFU is a much more recognisable property, and with clever marketing it could do incredibly well, but the work would need to be put in.
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:35 pm

mdauben wrote:
Ben2 wrote:The other problem is that if you have certain types of email you will never receive account approval for the Fedcomm boards. I've tried joining in the past and it just won't work.
I'm wondering if Yahoo is one of those addresses, as its been hours and no activation email. :x
It is.
Rambler
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rambler » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:25 pm

Ben2 wrote:
mdauben wrote:
It is.
Nope Yahoo is not a problem child email for ADB. It has worked just fine for me.
Family Motto since 1861. A good run is a heck of a lot better than a bad stand.
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:34 pm

Rambler wrote:
Nope Yahoo is not a problem child email for ADB. It has worked just fine for me.
OK, it hasn't worked for me the two times I've tried to register. Are you a .co.uk or a .com address?