A new suggestion for the Shield Penetration rules

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
BravoStork
Cub

A new suggestion for the Shield Penetration rules

Postby BravoStork » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:34 am

Having read through the rulebook and more than a few of the articles on this forum, I decided to take a crack at possible adjustments to the rules. Specifically, the shield penetration rule.
On a game play level, this is not a bad mechanic, but possibly too powerful in its execution. On a purely canon level (both from a TOS viewpoint as well as a SFB/FC viewpoint) this rule just does not fit quite right. I think I understand what the designers were trying to accomplish, and I think they were really close. But I think they sacrificed reality for the sake of speed in the game. I do not mean that as a criticism, but games in general are a compromise of those two elements. I just think we need to shift the scale a bit back toward the realist side of things.

So here is my thought:
On a roll of a “6”, the weapon damages the shield normally, but an additional 1 point of “feedback” damage is inflicted on the hull. This would represent the energy of the weapon briefly overloading the shields and causing the energy to cascade throughout systems and damaging them. This is something we have seen both in the shows, but in a few of the stories from SFB. That energy’s got to go somewhere…
Taking this a step further, perhaps weapons with the Devastating trait will inflict an additional point of damage per +1 of the trait? This would reflect the incredible power of the weapon in question.

Pros:
1) A little more realistic, at least in my opinion.
2) Ships, especially little ships (FF, DD, etc) are more survivable, if only by just a bit more.
3) Large ships are not subject to one-shot kills from (absurdly) lucky rolls.

Cons:
1) Games will probably last longer. Not sure how much longer, but testing will help tell.
2) Phasers become far more destructive due in part to sheer numbers. Increasing the odds of feedback damage through increased number of shots fired.
Personally I will be testing this idea myself within the next week or two. I have a large number of Klingons finished and I am currently working on a few of my Starfleet ships. I currently plan on testing this at least on the cruiser to cruiser scale, but FF to F5 and DN to C8 is not out of the question.
Myrm
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: A new suggestion for the Shield Penetration rules

Postby Myrm » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:44 am

The rule is basically an expression of the Leaky Shield rule from SFB so I have to disagree strongly that it ignores any SFU canon - and you could happily do the equivalent of criticals with that rule in place as regular hits went though (every 4th or 5th point of damage from memory).

Hit a full hangar, or a phaser or a power system and yes - your ship got hurt quickly.

It is easy enough to make the change but this fundamentally alters how photons do their thing in this game being much more the boom/bust weapon of the set. Also it makes all seekers much more potent in balance terms (not absolute ones) since their base is to do no damage through, then weakening the amount through hits do from direct fire narrows the difference. Takes away one good reason to bolt a plasma as well.
Lincolnlog
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Lincolnlog » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:53 am

I agree with Mrym, but also......how would you work criticals in? Your plan basically eliminates them.
McKinstry
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby McKinstry » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:47 pm

My biggest concern would be slowing the game. The core metrics seem to be getting 8-12 ships per side well and truly blown up in under 3-4 hours with an SFU feel. Anything that slows damage won't help game speed.

Also, I really think the term realism in a game with physically impossible fictional ships is a bit improper. :)
BravoStork
Cub

Postby BravoStork » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:35 pm

Myrm,
Never heard of the leaky shield rule that I can recall. Then again I haven't played SFB or FC in about 12 years or so, so my memory may be faulty. Was it an advanced rule?

Lincolnlog,
It does not remove criticals. Critical hits are resolved on the second (damage location)roll, you know, bulkhead, hull critical. The feedback damage is determined on the to hit roll, just replaces the shield pen rule that is currently in effect.

McKinstry,
I agree that is a potential issue. But until I playtest I can't say how much it would slow down gameplay. I'm planning on testing it next week on my next day off.
Nerroth
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Nerroth » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:23 pm

Leaky shields are an optional rule in SFB, but shield burn-through (more or less the same concept) is a required part of the ruleset in FC.
The above post is 100% unofficial.
BravoStork
Cub

Postby BravoStork » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Heh, well I totally forgot about that rule. :oops: Ah well, twas a good idea whilst it lasted inside by head.