New Flying Bases

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
scoutdad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Re: New Flying Bases

Postby scoutdad » Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:56 am

I second Bill's thoughts.
I have over one hundred bases with his excellent decals affixed and I just carry them in a separate box to use with which ever minis I'm playing at that time.
archon96
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby archon96 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:21 am

These are the bases i came up with. They are a combination of corsec and silvercompass arc tool.

http://i337.photobucket.com/albums/n372 ... CN0416.jpg

They work very well and are extremly portable. The only downside is having to clean finger print off but thats just me.
We Gorn have a saying. "Romulans taste like chicken. Their finger licking good."
JohnDW
Banded Mongoose

Postby JohnDW » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:26 am

Isn't the problem with using the bases you all ready have the fact that you would need to put a socket onto your new ships in order to plug the base's ball into? So you could have a lot of extra bases with the stems and balls, but you'd be short on sockets for new ships, if you're gluing the sockets onto your ships.
archon96
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby archon96 » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:27 am

honestly i went the route i did because i had too many ball and socket mounts break while playing.
We Gorn have a saying. "Romulans taste like chicken. Their finger licking good."
mdauben
Mongoose

Postby mdauben » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:58 pm

billclo wrote: Well to me, the socket and ball was the attractive feature of your bases, Matt. I can easily remove the base for storage/transport. Tilting the mini was not a big thing to me. If it's going to be a fixed base, ie glued to the mini, then I may as well consider using someone elses's bases. Corsec's 3-piece bases might be good option, despite it costing over $2.50 a ship to base them.
I'm probably going to look into the Corsec bases myself. I loved the ability to remove the base from the miniature to facilitate transport. I'll probably buy a couple dozen complete bases and just buy the mounting peg for the rest of my ships. That way I can just switch bases between ships as I need for each game I play.

I'd pretty much given up on those "tradtional style" flying bases as I've never had them last long, those pegs just snap off to easily in normal use.
Mike
Naradra
Shrew

Postby Naradra » Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:22 pm

well personally, I love spaceship games in general but I can't stand flight stand no matter the kind really. It's mostly due to often ill planed center mass that make model flimsy on their base or tip over and such. I honestly went with regular round basse and modified the peg and have the ship fly low close to the table. I like it better that way less complicated for transport and beside it's space right, it's not like being .25", 1" or 3" off the table really change anything but that's my take on it ^_^
SneakyPete
Mongoose

Postby SneakyPete » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:14 pm

I like the new bases as well, especially for the bigger ships, I just wish the came with smaller ones for the little ships.

I would REALLY like to see the blister packs come with the bases in a plastic baggy though. I just bought a few individual ships in blister packs and the bases were horrible scratched up from rubbing against the lead models during shipping and packaging.
Mugu games in Everett, WA., a great place to play ACtA StarFleet. Lots of players and product.
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby billclo » Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:32 pm

SneakyPete wrote:I like the new bases as well, especially for the bigger ships, I just wish the came with smaller ones for the little ships.
Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/minia ... l-x-6.html
SneakyPete
Mongoose

Postby SneakyPete » Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:47 am

I know you sell small bases, I WISH they came with some small bases. :)
Mugu games in Everett, WA., a great place to play ACtA StarFleet. Lots of players and product.
Steve J
Shrew

Postby Steve J » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:28 pm

SneakyPete, I got some ships last week (Fed FFG & FFB, and Klingon E4), and the bases in the blister pack were in small plastic zip bags.