New Flying Bases

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

New Flying Bases

Postby MongooseMatt » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:45 am

Just to let you all know, we are beginning to phase in a new type of flying base - much the same as the original but it lacks the ball and socket joint. These will start to appear in newer releases, and in older ones as stocks of the original base get phased out.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: New Flying Bases

Postby billclo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:53 am

msprange wrote:Just to let you all know, we are beginning to phase in a new type of flying base - much the same as the original but it lacks the ball and socket joint. These will start to appear in newer releases, and in older ones as stocks of the original base get phased out.
So it is going to be removable? Or glue to mini and leave it attached?
Renny
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Renny » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:36 pm

Any chance of a picture? I assume you mean it's still two piece but without the ability to pose the model in different attitudes. Is this correct?
Trek is not dead...it's merely resting!
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:06 pm

This is correct - think more of a 'traditional' flying base.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby billclo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:02 pm

msprange wrote:This is correct - think more of a 'traditional' flying base.
Well to me, the socket and ball was the attractive feature of your bases, Matt. I can easily remove the base for storage/transport. Tilting the mini was not a big thing to me. If it's going to be a fixed base, ie glued to the mini, then I may as well consider using someone elses's bases. Corsec's 3-piece bases might be good option, despite it costing over $2.50 a ship to base them.

I hadn't wanted to spend that kind of money for future ships, or even worse, converting all my 80+ ships to the same Corsec stand.

Thanks for the update though.
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:03 pm

Are these the same as the old flying bases? ie the ones prior to the ball and socket?
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
EnsignJDonavan
Weasel

Postby EnsignJDonavan » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:10 pm

I actually never used the ball and socket, except to use the ball for ships with a larger hole for the stand. Are the diameters of the base going to remain the same ?
Mongoose Infantry Demo Team - Oklahoma
ACTA: Noble Armada
ACTA: Star Fleet
Renny
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Renny » Mon Nov 12, 2012 4:54 pm

I can see the sense. I liked the idea of the two part base as it seems to reduce the chance of the peg at the top of the stand breaking off in the mini (happened a lot with my old Fasa minis). Never used the ball and socket to pose minis anyway so i won't really miss that feature.
Trek is not dead...it's merely resting!
Keeper Nilbog
Banded Mongoose

Postby Keeper Nilbog » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:41 pm

These came with the Gorn fleet i had pre-ordered (and as i don't use the ball/socket - glue directly in), don't cause an issue. One think to note though, the bases are slightly (5mm?) larger than the original one ( i mount mine on 50mm discs, which exactly matched the bases, these ones are bigger).

I general, i like them 8)
Real Plasma users don't hide - No, we just lumber along until someone is stupid enough to get infront of us.

Plasma is a Gorn's best friend
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby billclo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:59 pm

If the new bases are bigger in diameter, when someone gets a chance can you measure a couple for me? If I continue to sell my base stickers, I may need to enlarge some for the newer bases...

But since I am nowhere near sold out of the ones I have, there's no hurry.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:00 pm

so bascially base and standard stick - fine by me as I use Ninja Magic anyway :)

Plus if anyone wants the ball and socket I have a few to sell :)
bolive
Stoat

Postby bolive » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:43 pm

I just received some in an order and i thought they had sent me the wrong bases. But maybe they are the new ones. If these are the new ones then they are bigger 2 3/16 wide with two posts a tall and a short.
Mongoose Infantry Demo Team - Tennessee
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:52 pm

Define "traditional"

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Allerka
Mongoose

Postby Allerka » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:19 pm

I never understood how the ball socket version was supposed to connection to many of the Federation models. I tried, and it was just too tenuous of a link for the super-glue, so I just shoved the pole straight in. The Klingon ships were fine, at least, thanks to their virtually-identical construction.
SneakyPete
Mongoose

Postby SneakyPete » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:09 am

I started ditching the ball and socket a while back, it caused too many problems and the model sat up too high and would constantly tip over, especially with the metal dreadnoughts. I have been much happier with them glued in place. I also vary the height of the peg and modify the hole size for ones that sit lower so the booms and saucers overlap easier when in close quarters.
Last edited by SneakyPete on Tue Nov 13, 2012 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mugu games in Everett, WA., a great place to play ACtA StarFleet. Lots of players and product.
archon96
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby archon96 » Tue Nov 13, 2012 1:38 am

still a fan of coresec
We Gorn have a saying. "Romulans taste like chicken. Their finger licking good."
tlee33
Stoat

Postby tlee33 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:14 am

billclo wrote:
msprange wrote:Corsec's 3-piece bases might be good option, despite it costing over $2.50 a ship to base them.

I hadn't wanted to spend that kind of money for future ships, or even worse, converting all my 80+ ships to the same Corsec stand.

Thanks for the update though.
I actually like those corsec bases. You only need a few of the stands, and just 1 connecting joint for each ship. Its nice because then I can use the stands for other games too. The corsec bases also have the 90 degree lines etched into the plastic.
kyrolon
Stoat

Postby kyrolon » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:27 am

Allow me to second this. I don't know about the rest of the audience here, but I must have about 7-10 fleets of ships either finished or ready to be painted. For those of us with this problem (hi I'm Dan and I'm a spaceship junkie) the corsec system is great. Storing minis without the bases attached is much easier, and if you have multiple fleets the cost per miniature is much less. You buy one set of bases, one set of posts, and then one mount for each ship. The mounts are less than a buck a piece, and if you buy 15 at a time you get 15% off last I checked.

In other words I highly recommend them.
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:32 pm

lastbesthope wrote:
Define "traditional"

LBH
Reposting since I still need an answer...

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Allerka
Mongoose

Postby Allerka » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:29 pm

I would assume simply a base with a hole that you insert the rod into and you're done.