Doctor Warlocks Dredd-Thredd!

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Doctor-Warlock
Stoat

Doctor Warlocks Dredd-Thredd!

Postby Doctor-Warlock » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:09 pm

I FINALLY found time to paint LoL!

This is my first Judge Miniature in ages (the last thing I painted was a Foundry Judge Grampus as a gift for a friend).

(Sorry about the quality of the picture, but my skill/luck with a Camera is weak at best LoL).

I am Spartacus (apparently)
Never Bother Questioning Authority, They Don't Know Either . . .
"The Perps were . . . . uncooperative . . . ."

cheetor
Mongoose

Re: Doctor Warlocks Dredd-Thredd!

Postby cheetor » Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:41 pm

Lovely work, whats next?

What paints are you using? Do you have the recipe for the colours that you used? The green and the yellow are particularly nice :)
Doctor-Warlock
Stoat

Postby Doctor-Warlock » Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:02 pm

Thank you so much!

Another Street Judge, then Dredd - then (hopefully) some Brit Cit Judges. After that Cursed Earth Desperados!!!

I'm using the Army Painter Warpaints atm, the Mrs bought me the BIG Paint Set for my Birthday.

So - bearing in mind with a total lack of time to paint nowadays I go for K.I.S.S. painting techniques (keep it simple stupid LoL).

Yellow Areas - Desert Yellow, Wash with Soft Tone Ink, Highlight with Desert Yellow, finishing with final Highlight of Daemonic Yellow.

Green Areas - Goblin Green, Wash with a 50/50 Mix of Dark Tone Ink and Army Painter Matt Varnish (never thin their Inks with Water, they tend to separate) - highlight Goblin Green, then Goblin Green lightened with Necrotic Flesh.

Blue Areas - Black them out after painting the Yellow & Green (I always paint over white Undercoat, it keeps the colours bright), then I paint them Deep Blue - leaving black around each "area", roughly Highlight the Blue Areas with Ultramarine Blue (which is slightly Darker than the GW Equivalent), then wash with Army Painter Varnish stained with a Dark Blue Ink/Medium of your Choice (I use Secret Weapon Washes).

Grey Areas - Uniform Grey, Dark Tone Ink Wash, Highlight Uniform Grey, then Highlight Again using a 50/50 Uniform Grey/Ash Grey Mix.

Red Trim - Dragon Red, Over Painted with Pure Red.

Flesh - Barbarian Flesh, Soft Tone Ink Wash, Highlight Barbarian Flesh, then Highlight Again Barbarian Flesh/Matt White Mix.

Buttons/Fasteners on Pouches etc - Dot with Army Green, then Dot with Necrotic Flesh, then when fully dry, glaze (just the button) with Strong Tone Ink.

Knuckle Studs - Greenskin, then dot with Greenskin with a little White mixed in.

Hope that explains my "process".

Deathjester
Stoat

Postby Deathjester » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:12 pm

Tis rather good that mate.
Doctor-Warlock
Stoat

Postby Doctor-Warlock » Thu Oct 25, 2012 4:37 pm

Deathjester wrote:Tis rather good that mate.
Thankies DJ!

Surtur
Stoat

Postby Surtur » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:28 pm

Good brush work. Deep colors for definition. Very solid work.
Doctor-Warlock
Stoat

Postby Doctor-Warlock » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:41 pm

Surtur wrote:Good brush work. Deep colors for definition. Very solid work.
Ta Muchly!!

Surtur
Stoat

Postby Surtur » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:59 am

I wish my kickstarter stuff would come in so I can show my brush hand.
Deathjester
Stoat

Postby Deathjester » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:42 am

Said it before Drew and Ill say it again. Cracking painting mate. Not only envious of the paintjob, its also how quick you can put those models out!

Very nice work.
cheetor
Mongoose

Postby cheetor » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:03 am

Doctor-Warlock wrote: Another Street Judge, then Dredd - then (hopefully) some Brit Cit Judges. After that Cursed Earth Desperados!!!
Im looking forward to seeing your take on the desperadoes in particular. I have a million other things that I probably should paint first, but with two boxes of Sov Judges due before Xmas with a bit of luck, I can see them jumping the queue.
Doctor-Warlock wrote: I'm using the Army Painter Warpaints atm, the Mrs bought me the BIG Paint Set for my Birthday.
I have a few Warpaints and I have found them to be very good. The clean and bright four colour finish that you have got with this Judge is further convincing evidence of the quality of that range.

Warpaints are slowly becoming my go-to paints. That big paint set looks like a great deal.

Doctor-Warlock wrote: So - bearing in mind with a total lack of time to paint nowadays I go for K.I.S.S. painting techniques (keep it simple stupid LoL).
Preaching to the choir here :) I am never going to conquer Monte Figuero unless I cut corners somewhere. You seem to be of a similar attitude.

Doctor-Warlock wrote: Hope that explains my "process".
Comprehensively, thank you.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your Dredd paint jobs, great stuff:)
Doctor-Warlock
Stoat

Postby Doctor-Warlock » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:36 am

I have "trimmed" my list of Games tremendously, but even so with lack of time (I'm a full time Carer for my 92 year old Dad AND trying to earn money with Contract Painting) I have no choice but to follow a "plan" to get things done.

Time is the enemy LoL!