<=* NEW MONGOOSE INFANTRY & TROOPER SEARCH (Jul 8th '13) *=>

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

<=* NEW MONGOOSE INFANTRY & TROOPER SEARCH (Jul 8th '13) *=>

Postby GamerDude » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:15 am

Hello and thank you for your interest in the Mongoose Infantry (MI).

July 1st 2013 was our official "reboot" date but honestly we've been on a long careful reboot since beginning of the year. I say 'long careful' because giving something like the MI a complete overhaul isn't done with waving a magik wand or accomplished overnight. The changes we've made have been getting tested, revised, and fine tuned to make them the best.,

The final part of this process is recruiting new troopers to the MI Program to go out and promote our games (currently all our miniature games). Prospective troopers are of course to have some basic starting squads/fleets for at least one of the games they will be running Demo Events of but their collection can grow quickly through the Event Credit to be earned, starting at $10/hr or even higher as you advance in the program.

The current trooperpak is available at http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/demoteams.htm, It hasn't been updated since 2008 but the information still gives a good idea of how the MI Operates. If you wish to apply:
  1. Use the application at end of this post
  2. PRINT it out as a "read-only" PDF (Instructions below)
  3. Send it to "monooseinfantry@mongoosepublishing.com" with subject "[MI] <your name> Application"
To ensure there are no misunderstandings: All prospective troopers should already have (or be willing to purchase on their own) enough product to run at least a small 2-person game. For ACTA:SF this is 2 ships about 360 pts. You are not allowed to be using say "Star Trek Clix" to teach ACTA:SF. You also need a game store you are willing to go to and run events. You can start out supporting just one game, and expand to others as you earn Event Credit.

If you have any questions feel free to PM "MongooseInfantryHQ" on the forums or email MI-HQ. We'll happily help you out. Either method please use the Subject "MI Question"[/b][/color]TURNING APPLICATION INTO A READ-ONLY PDF
Depending on what software you are using, and how you "save" the completed form, there are a few small issues. Here is how I "saved form as read-only" with Adobe Reader X:
  1. Open (of course)
  2. Ensure "Highlight Existing Fields" is active (fields will show light blue or yellow)
  3. Completely fill out the form.
  4. DON'T "sign" it. I tried that and got nothing but errors. Signing is for forms that are set up for digital signatures used in tracking, verification and what-not. You are simply emailing it directly to me/MGP so that level of security isn't needed, and honestly I never even thought to set the form up for that.
  5. *print* - like to your printer to your printer but instead select your "PDF Driver"
    • You need to have a "PDF Driver" as a printer, I have "Adobe Printer", and CutePDF offers a free one.
    • You Might get an error about location... save to a different directory than where the form was opened from.
    • Use any filename for the application you want.
[/size][/color]
MI-RedemptionOrder Form v3-2.zip
Mongoose Infantry Application v3-2 Important Only use v3-2, not older versions.
(179.07 KiB) Downloaded 57 times
-*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*--*-
Al Beddow
Coordinator Mongoose Infantry Event Operations
Member Mongoose Infantry since 2003
mongooseinfantry {at} mongoosepublishing {dot} com
Last edited by GamerDude on Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:24 am, edited 12 times in total.
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: ** MONGOOSE INFANTRY SEEKS VOLUNTEERS **

Postby billclo » Fri Oct 12, 2012 10:39 am

I looked through the FAQ, and didn't see how one would go about getting credit for games run at conventions. I have tried running ACTA:SF games at my semi-local store, but it was hopeless; there aren't many gamers there who aren't into card/RPG games. I couldn't even get a single player, despite advertising for a month... However, I will be running 2 scenarios at my local convention in November.

I will probably be running an event at a convention 2-3 times a year.
Allerka
Mongoose

Postby Allerka » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:18 pm

billclo wrote:I looked through the FAQ, and didn't see how one would go about getting credit for games run at conventions. I have tried running ACTA:SF games at my semi-local store, but it was hopeless; there aren't many gamers there who aren't into card/RPG games. I couldn't even get a single player, despite advertising for a month... However, I will be running 2 scenarios at my local convention in November.

Sounds like my situation. Tried to run demo games one day, even offered free ships for anyone who completes their secret objective, and no one showed up. However, I'm trying to get arrangements to run a tournament at a convention next year. We'll see how that goes.
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:20 pm

billclo wrote:I looked through the FAQ, and didn't see how one would go about getting credit for games run at conventions.

Ok that's a good question and an opportunity for me to also clarify my post.

First... convention events are same as store events.
  • Schedule event with Store/Con staff
  • Advertise event (store:flyer, con:its in the program but maybe see about your own flyers around con).
  • Run event (get names/info on event form)
  • Get form signed by Store/Con staff
  • Mail/Fax/Email PDF to mongooseinfantry@mongoosepublishing.com
Easy peasy.

As for where you can run an event, currently there is nothing that says you *must* run in stores or *must* run at a convention. It must be a venue open to the public and not someone's home, we must be able to find the host of the event or the store to verify (if an event gets selected to be followed up on).

This doesn't change in the new program.

Now to clarify the "reboot".
We're talking completely revamped program. New forms, Better rewards, clearer rules/requirements, etc. Hopefully anyone interested in joining will sign up now, we are within say about two months (or less) of releasing the new program

[/color]
Al Beddow
USA Co-Ordinator of the Mongoose Infantry
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:49 pm

One thing that helps is take some freinds that like to play so people can see how cool the game is then if some one stops over and looks, sell the game tell them how much fun it is and easy it is to get started then have your volunteer move out and move new guy in. then repeat and as the party builds you keep helping the new guys then make note of your next demo so they can come buy with there freinds to see, so they can have players for their game. pass on info for purchasing the game, fleet types, and resource such as ship sheets.
Next thing you know there becomes a strong group of players of the Mongoose games product.
Once this happens the store will carry the minis and rules so the players have something to buy.
Its a tuff process moving into a store that has one or two game systems embedded but thats what promotion is about.
Ray
"Official Naval Boffin"
McKinstry
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby McKinstry » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:05 pm

I'll be running a large ACTA-SF game at Treefort Games in Fayetteville, GA on November 24. Right now it looks like 2000 points per side Klingons versus Feds but if enough players come by ( we have 7 commitments so far ), we'll go to a second table and do two 1500 points per side simultaneously.

I'm not sure I get the gist of that 'Mongoose Infantry' thing as the last thing I want in my game playing is administrative paperwork but each to his own. :D
scoutdad
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby scoutdad » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:19 pm

Wish PlasmaBoy and I could confirm.
I'd love to make the trek... but won't know until a couple days before.
McKinstry
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby McKinstry » Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:18 am

scoutdad wrote:Wish PlasmaBoy and I could confirm.
I'd love to make the trek... but won't know until a couple days before.
Anytime you think you'll be in the area, let me know and we'll make it happen.
rcbecker1
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby rcbecker1 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:05 am

McKinstry wrote: I'm not sure I get the gist of that 'Mongoose Infantry' thing as the last thing I want in my game playing is administrative paperwork but each to his own. :D
The MI is promoting games you like. Helping grow the product line, New players and so forth, as for playing for my enjoyment I do that at my local gaming group with friends.
Ray
"Official Naval Boffin"
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:13 pm

McKinstry wrote:I'll be running a large ACTA-SF game at Treefort Games in Fayetteville, GA on November 24. Right now it looks like 2000 points per side Klingons versus Feds but if enough players come by ( we have 7 commitments so far ), we'll go to a second table and do two 1500 points per side simultaneously.

I'm not sure I get the gist of that 'Mongoose Infantry' thing as the last thing I want in my game playing is administrative paperwork but each to his own. :D
You get a T-shirt and some free stuff depending on how many demos you run. If you're going to do them anyway you may as well get some loot.
Old B5W developer and professional shut in.
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:44 pm

McKinstry wrote:I'm not sure I get the gist of that 'Mongoose Infantry' thing as the last thing I want in my game playing is administrative paperwork but each to his own. :D
As an MI the amount of 'administrative paperwork' is indeed quite a bit - for each event you do you have:
- a form, single sheet of paper to fill out
- get signed by one of the host's staffers (store or convention)
- Send it into MI HQ by regular post *OR* fax *OR* scan & email it.
easy peasy.

Two things separates a demo event from a tournament or even just a regular "hey we come play ACTA:SF on Tuesday"...
- It must be in a place open to the public with a staff that can be contacted in case the event is chosen for a quick follow up.
- You, as the MI, must be available and ready to teach the game to any interested member of the public. If you have to keep leaving a regular game in order to do this and/or are tied up managing/running/organizing the tournament then it can't count as an event. (answering questions for people playing is fine - as long as it doesn't overly interrupt your short teaching games).

NOTE: again a demo event can be held at/with a tournament or regular 'meet up and play' day/group but for it to be credited as a demo event the MI in question has to be there to teach not to be hip deep in the tournament/game.

McKinstry, I'm not sure the structure of the event you mentioned if you could have received credit for it as an MI event BUT one MI could be there to teach at the same time as the game/tournament was being held.

Al Beddow
McKinstry
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby McKinstry » Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:07 pm

It is a demonstration/participation game in a local FLGS and open to all. It is probably just me but registering, taking names, getting a sign off etc. takes it from social event to chore. If there was early access to miniatures not yet released the loot idea would be tempting but I don't do gaming company T-shirts and I have more miniatures of the existing fleets than I can get painted.

As I said, each to his own but if you're already running games in stores ( and all of my groups game primarily in an FLGS ), this just adds administration to no great benefit. 8)
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Wed Oct 17, 2012 9:31 am

McKinstry wrote:It is a demonstration/participation game in a local FLGS and open to all. It is probably just me but registering, taking names, getting a sign off etc.
I just wish to be very clear that - IMO your characterization of this is how the Mongoose Infantry runs events is very wrong.

No pre-registering the event etc.

Guess you'll miss out on the new program - which we're hoping will offer what you mentioned.

And you're right, to each there own. Any my 'own' has been doing this for Mongoose since 2003, on top of three years for WotC, and Started back in 1998 with Kenzer and Co.

I've *never* had a problem with any company's paperwork requirements.

Al Beddow
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Hello everyone.

I just wanted to post that the *NEW* MI program is getting very close to launch.

If you've downloaded and read the current one many things will be the same but there are some nice new benefits, clearer guidelines, etc.

I encourage anyone interested in Mongooses games and enjoys teaching them to sign up for the program.

Thank you

Al Beddow
Coordinator, Mongoose Infantry Demonstration Operations
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby billclo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:06 am

I looked at this again, since I'm in the process of figuring out what ACTA:SF games I plan to run at Origins. I noted that MI volunteers are required to do at least 3 demos in a 6-month period.

It is pretty much hopeless around my area trying to find a suitable game/comic shop to run a demo and have people actually show up. It's largely card/Euro players around here, and actual miniatures players are as rare as hen's teeth (despite there being significant numbers of miniatures players who attend HMGS events in Lancaster).

So, I pretty much can only run events at a local convention in March, Origins in June, and a convention in November. Which does not meet the demo frequency requirements... :(

Too bad, because the MI program compensation looks to be pretty decent.
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:05 am

billclo wrote:I looked at this again, since I'm in the process of figuring out what ACTA:SF games I plan to run at Origins. I noted that MI volunteers are required to do at least 3 demos in a 6-month period.

So, I pretty much can only run events at a local convention in March, Origins in June, and a convention in November. Which does not meet the demo frequency requirements... :(

First... the job of a Trooper is to get out there expose people to our games. Many people don't willingly go outside their comfort zone... all they know is say "EuroGames" (and can be quite obnoxious about it too) and nothing else. Heck we have a girl here who makes really good money and is constantly placing $500-plus orders for the latest Eurogames (only because they are Eurogames) and never ordering through the store we play at. SHE is our target, along with existing miniatures players.

Second "3 events in six months" isn't "three separate days in six months". You go to a convention run three distinct sessions (as listed in the events schedule) and *BAM* there's your events.

Also we are changing the requirements in the new program so that you have to get X number of hours total over Y events.... at the bottom is I believe 4 hrs/2 events. This means even if you get "8 hrs" in one event (absurd, break it down) you still need a second event which could be as short as an hour.

Third, as I've said before include this information in your application, you just never know.

If you need more clarification just PM me (or email me if you already have my email).

Al Beddow
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby billclo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:49 am

GamerDude wrote:
billclo wrote:I looked at this again, since I'm in the process of figuring out what ACTA:SF games I plan to run at Origins. I noted that MI volunteers are required to do at least 3 demos in a 6-month period.

Second "3 events in six months" isn't "three separate days in six months". You go to a convention run three distinct sessions (as listed in the events schedule) and *BAM* there's your events.

Also we are changing the requirements in the new program so that you have to get X number of hours total over Y events.... at the bottom is I believe 4 hrs/2 events. This means even if you get "8 hrs" in one event (absurd, break it down) you still need a second event which could be as short as an hour.

Third, as I've said before include this information in your application, you just never know.

If you need more clarification just PM me (or email me if you already have my email).
Okay, that clarifies things. In the FAQ, it mentions that a "demonstration" could be a single event, or an entire day with several events. Which made me think an entire day (with more than one game taught) was considered only one of the required 3 "demonstrations". That's what threw me off course. So say an event in March (say a 4-hour game), and then several 4-hour games at Origins in June would satisfy the requirements. Gotcha.

When is the new program going to be rolled out?
GamerDude
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby GamerDude » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:09 pm

billclo wrote:When is the new program going to be rolled out?
Hopefully, January

AL B,
billclo
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby billclo » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:29 pm

GamerDude wrote:
billclo wrote:When is the new program going to be rolled out?
Hopefully, January

AL B,
I'll look at it again once it's comes out in January.
Lincolnlog
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Lincolnlog » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:52 pm

This game had really taken off in a LGS here in St. Louis. But so many people have had issues getting replacement parts, initial orders. And them to top everything off, the fleet box price increase!

That put the death nall to this game here. There are still a few of out there playing and attempting to convert new players, but got to tell you Mongoose can be their own worse enemy on some of this.

I remember the assurances prices would not increase in the transition between resin and pewter. Okay, I can see why they may have had to increase production wise. But by 50%? Top that that almost any order that comes from the Ohio facility is almost for sure going to have quality control issues. I have never received a bad Squadron Box from ADB, but they cut them open and check them.

So Mongoose ends up sending out oodlers of replacement parts, if you can ebvene get them to send them in the first place.

I love this game, but dealing with the products is extremely frustrating. Most of us that work in the daily corporate grind would love to make a living out of gaming/hobby. The guys at Mongoose get to do this, and the guys in England are great, for the fist time in my life I have Brit envy. But the US team leaves much to be desired. Personally, I would close the Dayton facility, McDonalds is always hiring french friers, and would ADB as the US distributor, period.

I read all the threads where everyone has got such great service from Mongoose. But that is no where near a universal experience. I actually had to have Matthew send out some parts that I waited months for. So once again if your in England, good for you, If you order from ADB in the US good for you, If your in the US order from Mongoose you have my sympathies. And with the increadse in prices I have once again dragged out the 2400's. Watch they'll do the same thing with Victory at Sea mini's. They'll start out affordable, and end up being way overpriced.

Okay, sorry off the soap box......I really do love this game, and will play probably in the hospital on my death bed. But hard to be positive in generating converts with the US costomer service issues, and price increases (which wouldn't probably be neccessary if every order didn't end up being multiple mailings).