Where are all the pics of painted minis? SF

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
GalagaGalaxian
Banded Mongoose

Re: Where are all the pics of painted minis? SF

Postby GalagaGalaxian » Tue Jan 10, 2012 6:09 am

An excellent example of that dry-brushing would be these Klingons I saw, posted by a gentleman named CptKremmen on The Miniatures Page. Hopefully he doesn't mind me reposting these excellent looking Klingons.

I love the look personally, especially how vibrant the blues and reds are compared to the weathered looking dull grey of the hulls. When I get some klingons, I'll probably try to go for a similar look.
Renny
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Renny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:04 am

I agree those look amazing. This is why the Klingons are so much fun to paint
Trek is not dead...it's merely resting!
MankuMan
Cub

Postby MankuMan » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:05 pm

Minimal paint job on these :) i what to play with painted miniatures the day after i got them

Builder
Mongoose
Location: Try not to die because of lack of oxygen and enjoy the eight month trip across the space.

Postby Builder » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:27 pm

Some pictures of my efforts, essentially complete though at some point I may go back and do more detail and I shall have a look at NCC numbers when the decals come out.
Attachments
016.JPG
016.JPG (51.98 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
014.JPG
014.JPG (51.3 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
021.JPG
021.JPG (59.71 KiB) Viewed 3485 times
Down the street, third door on the left.
Up the ladder, third floor, right hand corridor, 6 doors down.
Through the door, across the field with the space cows to the lamp post.
Climb the lamp post and jump directly upwards.
Land on the bicycle.
Builder
Mongoose
Location: Try not to die because of lack of oxygen and enjoy the eight month trip across the space.

Postby Builder » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Anda couple more.
Attachments
010.JPG
010.JPG (55.77 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
008.JPG
008.JPG (63.07 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
007.JPG
007.JPG (57.99 KiB) Viewed 3399 times
Down the street, third door on the left.
Up the ladder, third floor, right hand corridor, 6 doors down.
Through the door, across the field with the space cows to the lamp post.
Climb the lamp post and jump directly upwards.
Land on the bicycle.
Iron Domokun
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Iron Domokun » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:45 pm

Caption to the first photo: "Play dead, and hope the Klingons ignore us!"
Renny
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Renny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 2:02 pm

Interesting paint scheme on those Federation ships. Simple but effective. Nice job. I am also waiting for the decals to come out before i'll consider my Federation ships completely finished.
MarkDawg
Banded Mongoose

Postby MarkDawg » Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:27 pm

I love the green klinks mate great job!
Finlos
Banded Mongoose

Postby Finlos » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:15 pm

(Non-relevant parts removed)
billclo wrote:Everyone seems to think that I washed the entire miniature. I only did a targeted wash in the creases/recesses and left the raised portions mainly untouched. Drybrushing them wouldn't do anything that I can see since the raised areas are already the proper shade of basecoat.

I even tried to neaten up the areas where the wash crept out where it was supposed to be, with more of the basecoat, but that wasn't totally successful. :cry:
My aim here is to be sincere and not sarcastic at all when I say that's what washing does. You apply a wash to bring out the details. Make shadows darker, as it were. I'll admit it can be messy and you'll likely want to retouch the base coat in places afterwards. That's ok and part of painting a mini. Drybrushing highlights raised areas and makes them stand out more. It also helps contrast details or apply weathering. It took a painting night to prepare 40K buildings for a tournament before I learned how to drybrush properly. I find it's easier to start from the bottom and work my way up, inking > retouching > drybrushing.

Once I learned to apply those techniques, comments on my minis went from "that's a good start" to "looking pretty good". I certainly didn't get it right on my first try and it took time to learn but the results were worthwhile.

I think posting a couple pictures of a mini I painted will help visualize what I mean, even if they're pics of a non-ACTA mini.
Renny
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Renny » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:31 am

Here are some pictures of my painted federation squadron box, taken at Digger's last night. I was having some problems with lighting my shots so apologies for the quality of the photos but you get the idea.

Here's an in game shot of Digger's D7 having used the gravity well of the planet to get a good line of sight on my Federation CA.

Dreadnought supported by CA and OCL.

The whole squadron.

Closer angle on the squadron.

I have to say that the Feds look pretty good on the table. I have a Federation fleet box on the way so i'll have plenty of time to practice my paint job.
tomrommel1
Stoat

Postby tomrommel1 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:46 am

very good pictures and painting, how did you do the planet?
Renny
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Renny » Wed Jan 11, 2012 9:52 am

Thanks. I can't take credit for the planet, though. It was painted by a friend of mine. I'll get details and post later.
Finlos
Banded Mongoose

Postby Finlos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:09 pm

A couple of quick pics taken of a High Elf Prince I worked on (mostly completed). I should learn how to take better pictures I think. Edit: all inks and washes are GW paints.

Pic #1:

The barding is what you're looking at here. For some reason I missed inking / highlighting on the top part of the barding but that actually works out in my favour this time. The individual scales on the bottom part stand out much more than they do on the top part which shows the effect I'm looking for. The base coat was (I think) burnished gold with a black ink and drybrushed with burnished gold again.

Pic#2:

I might have to stand back some for the detail to become apparent but the helm is what I'm featuring here. The feathers are base scaly green, with a blue wash and drybrushed with white. The scales on the barding in the bottom right corner are another example.

Hope this helps. Always happy to share tips & tricks!
LimeyDragon
Banded Mongoose

Postby LimeyDragon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Finlos wrote:A couple of quick pics taken of a High Elf Prince I worked on (mostly completed). I should learn how to take better pictures I think. Edit: all inks and washes are GW paints.

Elves, Romulans, Vulkan, who cares they all got pointed ears.. On a side not great example, nice looking Elf..
Mongoose Infantry Demo Team - Oklahoma
---------------------------------------------------------
ACTA: Noble Armada Cheat Sheet Front and Back
ACTA: Star Fleet Cheat Sheet Front and Back
Finlos
Banded Mongoose

Postby Finlos » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 pm

LimeyDragon wrote:Elves, Romulans, Vulkan, who cares they all got pointed ears.. On a side note great example, nice looking Elf..
I'm hoping you just forgot the bolded 'E' (it makes a difference), and thanks :)
LimeyDragon
Banded Mongoose

Postby LimeyDragon » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Finlos wrote:
LimeyDragon wrote:Elves, Romulans, Vulkan, who cares they all got pointed ears.. On a side note great example, nice looking Elf..
I'm hoping you just forgot the bolded 'E' (it makes a difference), and thanks :)
That's what I get for doing a quick reply...

What colour gold did you use...
Mongoose Infantry Demo Team - Oklahoma
---------------------------------------------------------
ACTA: Noble Armada Cheat Sheet Front and Back
ACTA: Star Fleet Cheat Sheet Front and Back
Finlos
Banded Mongoose

Postby Finlos » Thu Jan 12, 2012 5:54 am

I painted the mini a while ago but I'm pretty sure I remember it was Citadel Colours 'Shining Gold', which sadly I don't think GW has stocked for a number of years now. I just looked it up and GW stocks 'burnished' and 'shining' gold, neither of which are exactly the colour I have. It's too bad, too, I use that colour for a good number of things.

I honestly don't know where you'd find a substitute for that exact colour although I'd imagine Vallejo (I think I spelled that right) or P3 might have something. The vallejo website takes some navigating but P3's solid gold may be close. I'm not looking forward to finding a replacement when that paint eventually does run out.
deadshane
Mongoose

Postby deadshane » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:27 pm

The rulebook has a really good short tutorial on painting. Drybrushing seems to really favor the Klingons as they have done in the book.

I'm going to do the Klingon ships in the 'dark angels green' color as they have in the book, drybrushed and all. It works really well, I have a chaos fleet from gothic painted in the same colors.

Harder will be painting my Feds when I get my hands on them. It will be difficult to make them look sinister. (as I'm doing 'mirror universe' feds)
THE FEDERATION

Helping Klingons die with honor since Y102.

On my blog, there is a device....a device that will make you invincible.
Renny
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Renny » Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:38 pm

For mirror feds, I would suggest using an off white/light grey for the hull colour and ink wash to emphasise the areas of shadow on the hull. It might also be necessary to try and hand paint the dagger insignia on the primary hulls somewhere as those markings are quite distinctive. look forward to seeing what you come up with.
Iron Domokun
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Iron Domokun » Thu Jan 12, 2012 4:11 pm

Ghost C7 from the Klingon Black Fleet!

[The Black Fleet is the Klingon Valhalla, although not many Klingons take the notion very seriously]