SST Reboot

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
HoldenA
Shrew

SST Reboot

Postby HoldenA » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:48 pm

Saw this news item the other day:
http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/20 ... works.html

Was wondering if there is any chance of seeing a re-boot of the miniature game, or at least something like an "anniversary" limited reprinting of some of the models/rule books? Does mongoose even have the ip rights still, or are they in someone else hands?
shotgun-toting chipmunk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: SST Reboot

Postby shotgun-toting chipmunk » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:01 am

Well, this is certainly interesting news...gonna have to hear more before I form an opinion.

Although I do with the game was back.
www.zupandevelopment.com
-------------------------------------------------------
"Lord I pray for the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion, and the balls of a combat helicopter pilot." -Fighter Pilot's Prayer
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:10 pm

I always found the original film interesting. Verhoven essentially made an updated version of a WWII propaganda movie, satirising fascism.

However most people didn't get it.

It would be interesting to see it interpreted entirely differently from the book, but if it is just a straight remake, like half of what Hollywood comes out with, then all they are doing is thinking a film did ok one time round, they can just change the actors and update the effects and make another pile of money. Hollywood is pretty intellectually bankrupt.
Old B5W developer and professional shut in.
HoldenA
Shrew

Postby HoldenA » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:24 pm

Yeah, the few places I've read about it seem to have been all basing their story on the same original source (very highly likely in internet land). They have all phrased it as a "a re-boot of the movie franchise" or something like that, none of them have stated it as a new book adaptation.

For what ever my two sense is worth I enjoyed the movie, and the two sequels (although most defiantly in a "it's sooooo bad its good" way). I'd be as excited for a reboot as I would an attempt to be truthful to the book.
shotgun-toting chipmunk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby shotgun-toting chipmunk » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:38 am

What if it was more in line with Roughneck Chronicles?
www.zupandevelopment.com
-------------------------------------------------------
"Lord I pray for the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion, and the balls of a combat helicopter pilot." -Fighter Pilot's Prayer
HoldenA
Shrew

Postby HoldenA » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:57 am

I'd be okay with that do I guess. I've so far enjoyed all incarnations of SST (although like all media, I've seen flaws in all of them).

One of the things I liked most about the Mongoose game was it brought them all into one game, plus added some of its own. If you didn't like one of the aspects from one of the many incarnations, than you just didn't use it. and if you ended up facing it down on a battle field you got to blow it.

So, just to bring it up gain, does Mongoose still have the rights to make the game? I kind of assume that they last. I figured they only had contacted it for so many years and when it ran out they just didn't renew.
Cyporiean
Mongoose

Postby Cyporiean » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:56 am

HoldenA wrote: So, just to bring it up gain, does Mongoose still have the rights to make the game? I kind of assume that they last. I figured they only had contacted it for so many years and when it ran out they just didn't renew.
I've asked Matt about re-purposing some of the Bug molds, and the answer was they no longer had them.. so I'll guess they do not currently hold the rights.
-Emily Fontana
On The Lamb Games
Writer for Brushfire, Historia Rodentia

Historia Rodentia (Legend supplement) now Shipping! Grab the PDF!
HoldenA
Shrew

Postby HoldenA » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:38 am

This might not be the most polite of questions to ask on here, but if another company that had the rights offered to buy the game system from Mongoose to either republish or update does anyone think they would?
Rick
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rick » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:54 am

I really can't see Mongoose parting with the whole Battlefield Evolution rules engine; but if another company wanted to release something using it as an Open Gaming Licence product, Mongoose might be interested in that approach.
"Understanding is a 3-edged sword" bit like a toblerone, really.
chris_valera
Banded Mongoose

Postby chris_valera » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:00 pm

Cyporiean wrote:
HoldenA wrote: So, just to bring it up gain, does Mongoose still have the rights to make the game? I kind of assume that they last. I figured they only had contacted it for so many years and when it ran out they just didn't renew.
I've asked Matt about re-purposing some of the Bug molds, and the answer was they no longer had them.. so I'll guess they do not currently hold the rights.
The Firefries are still made by some British company, as a third party thing.

I'd love to see MP re-acquire the rights to SST, release some proper plastic LAMI and air support figures.

--Chris
http://www.chrisvalera.com