Ship design rules?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Ship design rules?

Postby Poi » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Will the new edition have ship design rules? It would make rebuilding B5, or any other setting, much easier.
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:07 pm

Nothing in the playtest material suggests there will be design rules. That doesn't rule it out in later supplements - it would be far easier to do with NA than B5.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:56 pm

deep black has ship design rules, sadly will be years before it appears at this rate lol.

is their any reason you can't just map existing ships stats to your favourite fleets, obviously looking for best fit scenarios
I AM RONIN!
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:46 am

is their any reason you can't just map existing ships stats to your favourite fleets, obviously looking for best fit scenarios
With a shield-heavy theme, they'll be a fairly dodgy fit for Babylon 5.
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:07 pm

locarno24 wrote:
With a shield-heavy theme, they'll be a fairly dodgy fit for Babylon 5.
just list the shields as hull? c'mon, we are talented guys, we can do this :-)
I AM RONIN!
Arch Lector Petrovski
Banded Mongoose

Postby Arch Lector Petrovski » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:39 pm

The problem isn't just the shield stat as an existence it also alters the crit' table, is factored into the cost of the ships and the damage of the ships will probable be lower to account for it. That and from what the article said it would seem that different weapon systems will be affected differently by shields; thereby possibly losing benefits of certain weapons if you simply ignore the shields.

What are the current plans for rules/setting conversion, assuming there are any, my fellow gamers? (Or should I be whispering this and pretending that it doesn't take place since we're on the company forum)
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:58 am

I don't think you should worry too much, Mat has always seemed accepting that people do their own rules changes/tweaks and setting changes, indeed he has done his own i think for starwars on ACTA.

We will no doubt learn more about the potential for conversions when the full rull set is out.
I AM RONIN!
captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:24 pm

It might be easier to start with the old 2nd Edition B5 rules and incorporating parts of the new rules (depending on how extensively this have changed).

Nick
Captain Sheridan you're under arrest for a clear violation of the laws of physics!
silashand
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby silashand » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:25 am

Greg Smith wrote:Nothing in the playtest material suggests there will be design rules.
Well, I guess this limits my interest to academic only then. Ah well, I had a hunch this would be the case :(.

Cheers, Gary
Primary: Drakh
Secondary: Gaim
Tertiary: Centauri / Dilgar

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)