Karl Urban the New ‘Judge Dredd’?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Trees in the Mist
Cub

Karl Urban the New ‘Judge Dredd’?

Postby Trees in the Mist » Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:11 am

We are star stuff. We are the universe made manifest trying to figure itself out.
tnjrp
Mongoose

Postby tnjrp » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:15 am

Infinitely better than Sly... But then, most male actors with a pulse would be :mrgreen:

However Karl IMCO doesn't really have the chin to do JD, well, justice.
HeRoS -- Spefi miniature gaming in Turku, Finland
soulman
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby soulman » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:56 am

Thats good news, the thing i hated about the old judge dredd film was the funny sidekick, total destroyed the film for me.. so fingers crossed on this new one
tnjrp
Mongoose

Postby tnjrp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:31 am

A lot of stuff in Sly' s JD movie to not like... The article mentioning the "dark tone of the comic book" is something that may or may not be good. Some people apparently really and honestly don't get that JD at its best is an exceedingly funny and parodic comic. If done by that kind of folks, making it "darker" might mean completely humourless, cynical shlock fest that ends up being enamoured of the fascist machismo the comic at least attempts to lampoon.
dhw1971
Stoat

Postby dhw1971 » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:52 am

i didnt mind the Stallone movie so much, even though I am a fan of the comics. I never expected the movie to match up, so i wasnt disappointed.

i think one of the biggest problems with a film of this type is that the story of dredd was initially told over a long period of time before we truly had an understanding of mega city one and the way of life involved both for the citizens and the Judges - and a movie maker wants to cram as much of that as possible into a film AND tell the films story. Too much in one sitting! Compare this with Robocop, there was enough background material to explain the world they lived in without spoiling the main story.

I hope this will be a good one, and am glad he wont be taking the helmet off. It worked for Hugo Weaving in V for Vendetta! I just hope they dont take several original Dredd stories and mash them altogether again!

incidentally, was the footage of the fight with the clones ever released? It was cut from UK cinema, video and DVD release - was it completley cut from the movie, or just the UK versions?
atomicker
Shrew

Postby atomicker » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:08 am

Toby Longworth made for the best incarnation of Dredd outside of the comics books, in my opinion... and I hope anyone who's heard the terrific Dredd audios from Big Finish would agree. I think they should have asked him to play Old Stoneyface in the movie! :)

http://bigfinish.com/2000-AD

http://www.tobylongworth.com/
tnjrp
Mongoose

Postby tnjrp » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:16 am

Bruce Campbell would've gotten my vote any day but I think he may be getting a tad long on the tooth. He's got the chin to do it and enlisting would prolly ensure the film wouldn't get too "dark and gritty"... 8)