Suppression - What is it Good For?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.

Do you use the Suppression rules in your games?

There are Suppression Rules? Umm, no, never used 'em, don't need 'em
No votes
Use 'em all the time, do NOT remove them from the game!
100%

Total votes: 4
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Suppression - What is it Good For?

Postby MongooseMatt » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:25 am

Here's a question, and I would like honest answers :)

How many of you are actually using the Suppression rules found in the Advanced chapter?

Do they contribute anything to your games, or are they at best something easily forgotten or, at worst, a needless complication?
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Judge Xombe
Stoat

Postby Judge Xombe » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:52 am

We used the suppression in our last games. It replicates the effects (game mechanics-wise) of the electrazap gun, so between that and the suppression, my judges lost slot of actions over the battle. (both really needed to use thier heroic charge at one point.
NemesisCH
Shrew

Postby NemesisCH » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:55 pm

Judge Xombe wrote:We used the suppression in our last games. It replicates the effects (game mechanics-wise) of the electrazap gun, so between that and the suppression, my judges lost slot of actions over the battle. (both really needed to use thier heroic charge at one point.
The same here.... but this gives a "real" play&feel to the game. We like the suppression rules, let them stay in the advanced chapter.
tnjrp
Mongoose

Postby tnjrp » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:02 am

Supression rules are simply a must in a "realistic" minis game. Not sure if they are so necessary for a JD themed one as it doesn't really strike me as fitting that bill due to the background. But by all means have them in the advanced section (if they work -- couldn't vote since I haven't tried 'em :wink:).
HeRoS -- Spefi miniature gaming in Turku, Finland
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:29 am

Didn't vote because I like the fact that they're there, they've just never done anything in our games - because we've rarely had any especially well armoured individuals. Most people who get shot, die.

Like the rules as is, but just wonder if the rule shouldn't also apply if someone gets shot and does lose a hit. If you get reduced to one hit you have to make a Will To Fight check or leg it off the board (or fall unconcious, or surrender, or whatever), but a Tough character can have several hits first which don't trigger checks (so failing the armour roll and losing a hit can be desirable compared to passing the armour roll and losing an action)

It seems a little odd that I can see a situation where a hero under fire was wishing he wasn't wearing so much armour...
Understand that I'm not advocating violence.
I'm just saying that it's highly effective and I strongly recommend using it.
soulman
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby soulman » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:52 pm

It does say suppression with armour or cover, so maybe if you don`t get hit and its because you are behind light or just heavy cover, a suppression roll is needed " Duck back ", so you can be pinned but only if your behind cover.... now time for dinner !!

Cover is great in stopping getting hot, but at the same time it does stop you from leaving cover because its doings its job....
tnjrp
Mongoose

Postby tnjrp » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:55 am

locarno24 wrote:Didn't vote because I like the fact that they're there, they've just never done anything in our games - because we've rarely had any especially well armoured individuals. Most people who get shot, die
If suppression only works on people who actually get hit (which under the rules does seem to mean they generally take a wound as well) then it works wrong :?
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:31 am

True, but the problem is that if you're able to cause suppression by shooting at someone, then you will cause a suppression Will to Fight roll for every shooting action - which (with most people) means that two actions shooting means one action lost.

The problem is that people are already damn easy to take down in this game (as it should be - being shot and all that) which means that the side which fires first , assuming equal-ish numbers and weapons will be able to (probably) suppress the enemy at least once each, so anyone who's still alive will probably be on one action, making the following turn's return fire fairly ineffectual and the rest of the fight little more than mopping up.
tnjrp
Mongoose

Postby tnjrp » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:53 am

Another game with a somewhat similar "hit = wound" mechanic has a nice personal suppression mechanic where "a close call" will cause suppression, not just any shots fired at a trooper. It uses a D10 base die tho, it's a little less easy to do well at a D6 granularity.
locarno24
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby locarno24 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:59 am

Judge dredd uses a D10.
tnjrp
Mongoose

Postby tnjrp » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 am

Hmm, so it does. Was thinking of some other game. Then there should be no problems implementing a "close call supression" mechanic.