New League Races

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
katadder
Chief Mongoose

New League Races

Postby katadder » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:17 am

Am sure this was posted before but here it is again just in case as I cant remember where I posted it and isnt in resource thread.
fleets for Cascor, Grome, Hurr, Hyach, Ipsha, Kor-Lyans, Torata and Yulu. plus new variants for some existing league fleets.

http://www.mediafire.com/?tddmi2mjcl2
1st & Only Centauri Grand Admiral

LONAW Fleets: http://www.mediafire.com/?tddmi2mjcl2
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:52 pm

excellent - I was trying to find my copy as someone wanted it.

:D
AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AdrianH » Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:58 pm

Take a look at these sketches of ships originally designed for the Sierra computer game "Into The Fire":
http://tgm.firstones.com/wiki/ITF_ship_sketches

Designed by Luc Mayrand, one of the CGI artists from "Babylon 5" and "Crusade" (the Excalibur was one of his, for example), these include ships from the Grome, Hyach and Yolu, as well as a rather familiar Hurr design. (And also some alternative Dilgar, Abbai and pak'ma'ra designs.) There are three-view plans as well as oblique views, which should please anyone wanting to scratch-build them. :)
McKickaha
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby McKickaha » Wed Jan 13, 2010 7:46 am

Finally managed to see most of the images on the site. For some reason my comp is not displaying the icons for the images but at least the cursor changes to a hand so finally managed to hopefully track most of them down.

Have seen the Abbai ship before and it continues to be a very striking design.

As every knows I built a Sekhmet 18 months ago, from a small image of the in ship game, have designed a bigger version which does turnout , not surprisingly to have similarities to the cap ship sketch on the site.

All of the defense platforms are interesting.

Like the Hurr ships which of course fit right in with the existing mini style but are still different enough.

Grome concepts seem a little too far advanced for me, see them liberally using exposed girders, (just like the Hyperion but more of), but are interesting designs in themselves.

Love the PAk design but I would make it Drazi. Better look for the Fireraptor perhaps.

Don't like the concept Yolu, (still trying to find a suitable proxy fleet out there. There is one perfect mini design I found, but unfortunately it is only 1 so probably will end up making my own).

Absolutely hate the concept Hyach design.

Thanks AdrianH for making me try one more time.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, just imagine what you can do with a paintbrush and modelling blade.

Link to my modelling stuff http://s288.photobucket.com/albums/ll189/Kickaha0/
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks Adrian

Although I had the same problem -no icons so have to move the curser around to I found something to grab.

They are very striking and flowing designs - but I if there had not been a caption I would have thought they were from one race - a very cool one though?
captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:28 am

I have to say I've never really liked that Dilgar design it just doesn't seem aggressive enough for the Dilgar (not to mention being mostly hollow), the fighter is ok but I definitely prefer the AoG Dilgar designs.

Sierra seem to have had a thing for insubstantial ships the Dilgar, Abbai and Grome ships all seem to be an awful lot of empty space and not much ship...

Nick
Captain Sheridan you're under arrest for a clear violation of the laws of physics!
McKickaha
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby McKickaha » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:03 pm

captainsmirk wrote:I have to say I've never really liked that Dilgar design it just doesn't seem aggressive enough for the Dilgar

Nick
Yep, a couple of added big guns does help :wink:

In LC's novel there is a good explanation in that the Sek is developed under the influence of a significantly more advanced race.

I don't mind the original AOG/MGP Dilgar myself although I do know quite a few people who don't. Just recently however have came around to thinking that their war level dreadnoughts minis in particular are way too small and interestingly, not agressive enough looking, especially the Mishakur.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, just imagine what you can do with a paintbrush and modelling blade.

AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AdrianH » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:11 pm

Kickaha wrote:Like the Hurr ships which of course fit right in with the existing mini style but are still different enough.
The only Hurr ship on that site is the gunship, which near enough is the Mongoose one.
Grome concepts seem a little too far advanced for me, see them liberally using exposed girders, (just like the Hyperion but more of), but are interesting designs in themselves.
The Grome ship looks as though it was designed by Vulcans. :)
Love the PAk design but I would make it Drazi. Better look for the Fireraptor perhaps.
It would work as either. We already know that the pak'ma'ra use Drazi ships; the only pak'ma'ra I recall seeing in a ship on screen was in a Sunhawk with a different colour engine bulb. Mongoose let them use Sunhawks and Warbirds. Maybe the pak'ma'ra got hold of another Drazi ship...

The Dilgar ship has a solid core; it just has rings around it in an attempt to make it look bigger and nastier. :) It also does have a couple of big guns in the main structure (shown on the plans as x-ray lasers, in contrast to Mongoose data which don't give the Dilgar any sort of beams). Missile tubes and plasma cannon are shown under the hull and on the wingtips. Luc Mayrand has apparently never heard of bolters. :)

As for size, it's impossible to judge size of ships by the size of the models. I have a Nolo'Tar which is almost the size of a Primus. :D
McKickaha
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby McKickaha » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:09 pm

AdrianH wrote:
Kickaha wrote:Like the Hurr ships which of course fit right in with the existing mini style but are still different enough.
The only Hurr ship on that site is the gunship, which near enough is the Mongoose one.

Not going to be rude to Mongoose I own 4 of their Gunships after all but the sketch is a far superior and most importantly coherent, (flowing for want of a better word) & detailed design which if I did model I would personally scale to be larger and more advanced. An advanced refinement of the "smaller, simpler" (in my terms) gunship.

Compare the engines & nose of the two ships to see what I mean.

The Grome ship looks as though it was designed by Vulcans. :)

Yup see where you are coming from
It would work as either. We already know that the pak'ma'ra use Drazi ships; the only pak'ma'ra I recall seeing in a ship on screen was in a Sunhawk with a different colour engine bulb. Mongoose let them use Sunhawks and Warbirds. Maybe the pak'ma'ra got hold of another Drazi ship...

The Dilgar ship has a solid core; it just has rings around it in an attempt to make it look bigger and nastier. :) It also does have a couple of big guns in the main structure (shown on the plans as x-ray lasers, in contrast to Mongoose data which don't give the Dilgar any sort of beams). Missile tubes and plasma cannon are shown under the hull and on the wingtips. Luc Mayrand has apparently never heard of bolters. :)

I am guessing, he can correct me if I am wrong, that "Captain Smirk" also means very obvious "big" weapons which is I have to agree is very in tune with the Dilgar

(BTW In LC's novel the Sek incorporates salvaged Hurr spinal lasers)

As for size, it's impossible to judge size of ships by the size of the models. I have a Nolo'Tar which is almost the size of a Primus.

My application of "sizing" is how I would see the concept working, purely personal view of course. Thats why I see it as an advanced Drazi cap ship and thus not available to the PAK purely beceause thats the scale I would apply to the model. On weapons detail not going into in that depth yet, (probably a long time before I would build, if at all). I look at the prior design and see in my mind where I think it best fits, (only in the case of somebody elses concept of course) then redesign as necessary things like weapons, if and as necessary, to still fit within the basic design / shape constraints of the concept but to also fit to my own views of my chosen race.

:D

captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:21 pm

I'll admit that whatever the explanation, I just don't like the Dilgar design (but that's just my personal opinion). On the AoG ships they look aggressive because everything is directed forwards, lots of guns, spikes, everything all pointed straight at you.

Probably the same reason why I like there:
http://well-of-souls.com/outsider/conce ... loroi.html

Under AoG the Dilgar did use some lasers, and I believe the bolter was also their invention, and thus wouldn't appear on the Sierra design which came first.

Nick
Captain Sheridan you're under arrest for a clear violation of the laws of physics!
McKickaha
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby McKickaha » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:57 am

Some nice concept art there Captain Smirk.

Thanks for the link