Does anyone still play?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Tolwyn
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Tolwyn » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:52 am

I'm still playing ACTA ocassionally with a friend at the local gaming club here in Oberhausen. The great problem as mentioned before is that the lack of miniatures killed ACTA as nearly nobody wants counters or 3D cardboard models, thanks to the expensive licence fee Warner demanded.

I'm looking into Starmada as a much more balanced game, as the PL system imo never worked right. For playing that I'm looking to get my hands on as much fleet Action sized ships as possible. Had a brief look at Full Thrust an never liked it.

The no answers from any officials other then there will be a 3rd Edition killed many players of, too.
Admirals do not ask for command, they have it.
Taran
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Taran » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:57 pm

Where are you, TheRegent? While I have played a decent bit here in Alaska, I am going home this weekend and have no one to play there...
"Well, if it isn't, then it's not.
But if it is...
Well, there you are."
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Tue Dec 29, 2009 9:38 am

Tolwyn wrote:I'm still playing ACTA ocassionally with a friend at the local gaming club here in Oberhausen. The great problem as mentioned before is that the lack of miniatures killed ACTA as nearly nobody wants counters or 3D cardboard models, thanks to the expensive licence fee Warner demanded.

I'm looking into Starmada as a much more balanced game, as the PL system imo never worked right. For playing that I'm looking to get my hands on as much fleet Action sized ships as possible. Had a brief look at Full Thrust an never liked it.

The no answers from any officials other then there will be a 3rd Edition killed many players of, too.
I'd look long and hard at Starmada forums before considering it, and also look at the predesescor, it has more errata than um, errr, something with a lot of errata. May be worth saving your money up and hoping for CTA3.

and the money for the WB licence? wasn't that expensive on the quote someone I know got, was just that WB really weren't interested in bothering with it anymore.
I AM RONIN!
Bubba Ho-Tep
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Bubba Ho-Tep » Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:55 pm

tschuma wrote:Bubba Ho-Tep

I have heard the Jim Fox from Iron Wind is thinking about a 1 day convention in the Cincinnati Area. If I put on a B5 Tournament do you think you can get your group to come north?

tschuma
I sent you a PM, but if we can be there, we will.
Mongoose Infantry - Kentucky
Go to RPGNow for all your gaming needs.
TheRegent
Weasel

Postby TheRegent » Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:36 am

I'm in Vancouver, WA. My buddy Buships (whom I play ACTA with) is in Kelso, WA and we play at a store about a block from his place which has tables for us.
"The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant of the universe."

"THEY say it will be a pretty night..."
Taran
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Taran » Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:33 am

OK, nevermind. I'll be in PA...
"Well, if it isn't, then it's not.
But if it is...
Well, there you are."
TheRegent
Weasel

Postby TheRegent » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:51 am

Bummer!
"The bureaucratic mentality is the only constant of the universe."

"THEY say it will be a pretty night..."
Foxmeister
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Foxmeister » Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:02 am

Tolwyn wrote: I'm looking into Starmada as a much more balanced game, as the PL system imo never worked right. For playing that I'm looking to get my hands on as much fleet Action sized ships as possible. Had a brief look at Full Thrust an never liked it.
I recently purchased Firestorm Armada from Spartan, and whilst I've not played it yet it does seem pretty good. In addition, it should be fairly easy to "translate" ACTA B5 ships into Firestorm.

Regards,

Dave
B5Temple
Banded Mongoose

Postby B5Temple » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:39 pm

It's hard to believe that WB pulled the plug, but they're idiots. They were making money on a license without much effort (other than DVD sales and a few other oddities). It doesn't make business sense to just cut out that source of revenue. But who knows what they were thinking.

This game kinda reminds me of the old Starfleet Battles, in the sense that the game still exists in some form, while the T.V. show is off the air. Babylon 5 is simply a license that WB doesn't know what to do with. Until they figure that out, the fans will still keep it alive in some shape or form.