Fighters

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Fighters

Postby AdrianH » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:54 am

It occurred to me that the First Ones don't have any small craft, apart from our old favourites the Shadows and Vorlons. So, since the Mindriders ship seems to be surrounded by objects which could conceivably detach and become fighters, or at least similar objects by themselves could be fighters...

Little is known about this craft. Possibly a scout, a probe or a fighter, it has been described by those few pilots who ever saw one as looking like a mushroom.

Mushroom Mindrider Fighter
Speed: 12 Turn: SM
Craft: 2
Hull: 5 Dogfight: +1
Special: Dodge 3+, Fighter, Shields 1/1
In service: Until 2261
Weapon:
Light Ultra Pulse Cannon: Range 2, T, 1AD, AP Precise Triple Damage

A counter is available here.
Last edited by AdrianH on Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:36 am

Nice idea and fun counter :)

could allow the main ship to reduce its starting damage (the point up to which it regnerates) to produce these offspring / drones?

maybe change the name of the gun - sounds a bit EarthForce?
AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AdrianH » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:28 am

The main weapon of the Thoughtforce ship is officially an Ultra Pulse Cannon. The Mushroom simply has a smaller version of the same weapon. ;)

However, now we're on the topic of Earthforce, here's the Badger as it was meant to be. Designed by Tim Earls for "In The Beginning", it is a two-seater (albeit with the crew sitting side by side, not at opposite ends of the fighter) with pulse cannons, missiles and a rear-firing gun mount. So the Mongoose stats for the Badger work with this one as well.

I've made up a counter for it here.

The main advantage of using this is that if you're also using counters for other fighters, you don't need to remember which of those Aurora counters are actually Badgers. :)
captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:46 am

I should point out that that ship is actually the Kirishiac Lordship, the Thoughtforce is the giant caltrop. I believe Mongoose mixed the pictures up.

I could accept the change over (the races were never identified in the show anyway so its all invented by AoG) if not for the fact that the Mongoose weapons are taken straight from the AoG stats which were designed with what the ships actually used in the series in mind. In ItF the caltrop has some form of large pulse cannon, whilst the ship with your mushrooms is very obviously armed with a massive beam weapon.

Hope that helps.

Nick
Captain Sheridan you're under arrest for a clear violation of the laws of physics!
AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AdrianH » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:12 am

True enough - I should have checked on B5 Scrolls, which correctly identifies the ships as you describe. Mind you, it also says the Mongoose Badger is wrong, which everyone else here seems to disagree with, which is why I presented the Badger here as an optional alternative rather than an outright replacement. ;)

OK, the previous stats for the Mushroom now apply to the Thoughtforce fighter; someone else can figure out its name and what it looks like. Meanwhile, here's the revised Mushroom, now belonging to the Kirishiac:

Mushroom Kirishiac Fighter
Speed: 12 Turn: SM
Craft: 2
Hull: 5 Dogfight: +2
Special: Dodge 2+, Fighter
In service: Until 2261
Weapon: Light Anti-gravity beam: Range 2, T, 2AD, Mini-beam, Precise
AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AdrianH » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:14 am

With the arrival of the Drazi contingent, the Fighter Squadron of Ultimate Doom is fully operational.

The soundtrack

The counter sheet

:D
CheesyRobMan
Banded Mongoose

Postby CheesyRobMan » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:40 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

That made me laugh out loud, pure genius :D but not enough badgers!
"Where's the kaboom? There was supposed to be an earth-shattering kaboom!"
AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AdrianH » Fri Oct 23, 2009 1:48 pm

I'm not sure which is more worrying - that I miscounted the badgers or that someone else actually made the effort to count them. :lol:

If you tell me how many badgers should be there, I'll correct the counter sheet. :D
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:33 pm

great counters :)
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:41 pm

Hehe - haven't heard that for ages! I beileve from memory there are 12 badgers to 2 mushrooms...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AdrianH » Fri Oct 23, 2009 4:50 pm

2 more Badgers have now been added to each flight. :)
nightshade
Weasel

Postby nightshade » Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:53 am

One million points for AdrianH!