New Miniatures?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
captnmartin
Shrew

New Miniatures?

Postby captnmartin » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:40 pm

I understand there were some issues developing the miniatures (read something to that effect in signs and portents) but is there still a plan to continue releasing miniatures for the game?

I have to say, that a game with pre-painted forces, not collectible, is a very good thing for this particular gamer. I don't mind painting, but to be able to simply buy a box and have infantry ready to go is a huge bonus for me.

Does Mongoose plan to continue supporting the game with quality 28mm figures, or are players expected to buy other minis in different scales. (I have not been impressed with miniature offerings from other companies, to be honest they all look cartoony/misshapen.)
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: New Miniatures?

Postby Agis » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 pm

Short (and sad answer): No!
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
captnmartin
Shrew

Re: New Miniatures?

Postby captnmartin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:56 am

Agis wrote:Short (and sad answer): No!

(Long Answer?)
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:34 pm

think you may find the long answer is also:

No
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
captnmartin
Shrew

Postby captnmartin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:03 pm

Well, yeah, the long answer would be no, but there'd be a reason behind it.

Trying to find anything in the 28mm scale for modern conflicts may as well be impossible.
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:19 pm

captnmartin wrote:Well, yeah, the long answer would be no, but there'd be a reason behind it.

Trying to find anything in the 28mm scale for modern conflicts may as well be impossible.
Why so? There are several companies who do 28mm minis.
See my website for a starter:
http://www.agisn.de/html/ultramodern.html
We have, TAG, MoFo, FoA, Eureka just to name a few...

Example pic of TAG minis:
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:59 pm

think we maybe now moving away from the NO and trying to find a "what about ?" !!!
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

captnmartin
Shrew

Postby captnmartin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:23 am

I looked at TAG, they just don't seem to have the range I need, specifically with Soviet equipment. I may have to scale everything down by half and go with 15mm.
shotgun-toting chipmunk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby shotgun-toting chipmunk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:38 am

I still can't say I've found any minis I like as well as the MGP ones. Everybody else's stuff seems a little off, with "heroic" preportions and such.
www.zupandevelopment.com
-------------------------------------------------------
"Lord I pray for the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion, and the balls of a combat helicopter pilot." -Fighter Pilot's Prayer
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:34 am

captnmartin wrote:I looked at TAG, they just don't seem to have the range I need, specifically with Soviet equipment. I may have to scale everything down by half and go with 15mm.
Why not 20mm? IMO the largest range of Modern minis available.
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:03 pm

if your going 15mm instead of halfing everything, play in cm instead of inches.. ie 6" move = 6cm move,, very simple and works well.

Armchair_Marine
Banded Mongoose

Postby Armchair_Marine » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Said it before and I'll say it again, Modern Combat won't last very long without official miniatures/models support! World War 2 is not a problem because there is an endless amount of third party miniatures and vehicles of ALL scales for it.
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:46 am

Armchair_Marine wrote:Said it before and I'll say it again, Modern Combat won't last very long without official miniatures/models support! World War 2 is not a problem because there is an endless amount of third party miniatures and vehicles of ALL scales for it.
I do not believe so, if so almost any Modern Combat game would be doomed right from the start. 8)
Which Modern rule set can feature a dedicated mini line?
Armchair_Marine
Banded Mongoose

Postby Armchair_Marine » Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:12 am

Agis wrote:
Which Modern rule set can feature a dedicated mini line?
None, and BFE Modern Combat should be the first.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:45 am

shotgun-toting chipmunk wrote:I still can't say I've found any minis I like as well as the MGP ones. Everybody else's stuff seems a little off, with "heroic" preportions and such.
That's ironic - one of the leading criticisms we had on the line was that they were _not_ heroic :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:45 am

Armchair_Marine wrote: None, and BFE Modern Combat should be the first.
Oh, I think there is another. . . But news on that another time :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Paladin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Paladin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:42 pm

msprange wrote:
shotgun-toting chipmunk wrote:I still can't say I've found any minis I like as well as the MGP ones. Everybody else's stuff seems a little off, with "heroic" preportions and such.
That's ironic - one of the leading criticisms we had on the line was that they were _not_ heroic :)
I don't know if the complaints were so much "non-heroic" as thin. Most of the time heroic implies more cartoony/over-proportioned. I think you can beef up a little without crossing the line. Parsing words a bit, but hey. :D

I was a bit taken aback when I saw the BF:evo minis at first but I was a fan of the realism. The more I used the BF:Evo minis the better they got and the less I noticed their smaller size.
GJD
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby GJD » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:58 pm

There is another problem that some people have invested in Mongoose miniatures and can't afford to ditch them and switch to a different scale. My 12 year old nephew, for instance, attended Salute one year with me and was bitten by the wargaming bug. He wanted something he could collect easily, didn't have to paint and was simple to play. I suggested BFEVO and he had begun collecting a US Marine force. He managed to get a couple of Abrahms, a force Recon and a couple of infantry squads before the line was pulled. He can't afford to ditch all of his kit and swap to 20mm/28mm and won't want to paint new stuff and adding new 28mm or 20mm stuff will look odd. He uses a couple of 1/72 M1a1's from Dragon armour, but the difference is obvious.

G.
captnmartin
Shrew

Postby captnmartin » Fri Jun 05, 2009 5:52 pm

Yep, i would have liked to use 28mm (And I LIKED the realistic proportions on the miniatures I saw). The problem with all the other minis is that they seem chunky/oversized. Maybe that was all well and good for older wargamers, but now a days, I like my figures to look real, not like Captain America. Added to that, that I cannot find a decent range of Russians in the scale I need.

Anyways, 15mm is what I've settled on, all the vehicles/infantry I need is there.
Armchair_Marine
Banded Mongoose

Postby Armchair_Marine » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:58 pm

I would love to see a 28mm modern warfare game as long as vehicle of the same scale are provided. Sorry to bring this up, but that's one of the appeals of Warhammer 40k. You got your miniature figs and you got vehicles that go with them. And you know where to get both these things from. I honestly can't think of any other Tabletop gaming company that does this. Most of the time the just have miniature figures. But near future/sci-fi games NEED wheels and threads on the battlefield.

I would just like to see Mongoose do to Modern Warfare what GW has done to sci-fi warfare. And I thought they were really close to achieving that back in the early days of Evo. If they would have gone with non-prepainted plastics and/or metals, I don't think we'd be where we are at right now. And hopefully there will still be time to fix that.