Boresight question

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Gray Dragon
Cub

Boresight question

Postby Gray Dragon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:08 am

I've just got the rules for ACTA and have a question regarding the boresight arc. The rules seem a bit vague to me. I was wondering how everyone interprets the arc.

My interpretation is that the boresight line must line up with the line created by the center points of the attacker and target. To me this really limits the usability of these weapons especially since my opponents tend to be very exacting when it comes to these things ("I think you are off a degree or two").

I'm thinking it works something like this: "since the target has already moved I'm going to move my ship so that it is in a boresight arc to the target"

Thanks for any help, I'm hoping to play my first game in a week.
Ike
Stoat

Postby Ike » Sat Jan 31, 2009 8:44 am

pretty much how I play it.. unless I say my ship is boresighting then its not.. I know other people play it other ways.. we have had it where 1 adrift ship happens to boresight a second adrift ship

boresight is purely that single line straight ahead(or behind) so if you are off by a few degrees then technically your not boresighted.. hence why I say this ship is boresighting that one. removes the whole arguement of it
stryve
Mongoose

Postby stryve » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:25 am

My group uses markers to denote boresight targeting. This helps to prevent arguments if the table is bumped, mat shifted, minis/counters jostled, etc.
Cry CHEEBLE! and unleash the hamsters of war!
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Re: Boresight question

Postby Greg Smith » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:25 am

Gray Dragon wrote: I'm thinking it works something like this: "since the target has already moved I'm going to move my ship so that it is in a boresight arc to the target"
It is generally done that way.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
Gray Dragon
Cub

Postby Gray Dragon » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:16 pm

Thanks for the help everyone.
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:50 pm

Declared boresights work best. If you say you're lining it up to boresight, then even if you don't move the model exactly the right place, it is assumed that you are boresighting. Then you avoid nasty arguements when the table gets nudged, etc. You can also do some nifty tricks such as an Omega moving right in between 2 enemies, and lining up the front and rear boresights.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

AdrianH
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby AdrianH » Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:53 am

That is indeed the sensible way. If the target has already moved, it can't get out of your boresight, so provided you make a reasonable attempt to point your model or counter at the target, there's not much the target ship can do about it. Only if a ship moves and looks as though it has just moved into your boresight should you need to check for accurate alignment.

A few other cases should be straightforward too. If two ships boresighted each other the previous turn and both are lumbering, then they'll both boresight each other this turn as well, unless one turns away, and then it's the one which turned that loses its boresight. Duels between lumbering boresight ships can turn into games of chicken, especially if you also assume that because they're both heading directly at each other by the definition of boresight, they're going to collide unless one turns away. OK, that's not strictly according to the rules, but it does make such duels more interesting, and also means the Omega might feel less like going straight over the enemy and using its aft boresight. :)
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:33 am

Ah, lumbering makes my Drazi smile :)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Banichi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Banichi » Tue Feb 03, 2009 10:00 am

Are drazi able to smile? They always seemed to be annoyed at something or another the whole series. :wink:

We declare boresight during movement down here. It makes a lot clearer.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!!!
ImageImage
greenboy
Mongoose

Postby greenboy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:20 pm

Only when doing some thing bad
The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing in the right place, but also to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment
Banichi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Banichi » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:49 am

That's definatly a smile. But you're right, it does look like he is doing something bad. That, or he is watching something unfortunate happen to someone else.
These pretzels are making me thirsty!!!
ImageImage
captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:10 pm

Probably some one wearing purple...

Nick
Captain Sheridan you're under arrest for a clear violation of the laws of physics!