Design questions

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Design questions

Postby Ben2 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:09 pm

Right, I've finished rewriting my departments training material, and provided I don't get ferreted off to special projects, I'll actually have some time on my hands for design and playtesting, provided the man flu doesn't kill me first.

Couple of questions -

Back when there were a lot of people designing B5W stuff, I did some standard weapons sheets for people to use with all the weapons in the game in and plenty of extras.

Has anyone done excel spreadsheets for the weapons in WaW and MC yet? Common weapon sheets would certainly be useful.

Is there any structure to the logo products? Are people co-operating on these so they're compatible and effort isn't duplicated?

What DTP program is Aegis using? His stuff looks great.

Does anyone have anything in the pipeline for modern combat?
Old B5W developer and professional shut in.
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Re: Design questions

Postby Hiromoon » Fri Jan 02, 2009 4:22 pm

Ben2 wrote:Does anyone have anything in the pipeline for modern combat?
*whistles quietly*
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Re: Design questions

Postby Agis » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:04 pm

Ben2 wrote:Right, I've finished rewriting my departments training material, and provided I don't get ferreted off to special projects, I'll actually have some time on my hands for design and playtesting, provided the man flu doesn't kill me first.

Couple of questions -

Back when there were a lot of people designing B5W stuff, I did some standard weapons sheets for people to use with all the weapons in the game in and plenty of extras.

Has anyone done excel spreadsheets for the weapons in WaW and MC yet? Common weapon sheets would certainly be useful.

Is there any structure to the logo products? Are people co-operating on these so they're compatible and effort isn't duplicated?

What DTP program is Aegis using? His stuff looks great.

Does anyone have anything in the pipeline for modern combat?
No to all of the above. I do not know any spreadsheets, or co-operating - people are basically competitors as independent authors and publishers.
The topic was already discussed some times. So far nobody has come up with a solution to prevent possible duplications.

As far as the DTP program in use for the A.D.Publishing books, I do not know. That is Court Jesters task.

(Oh and it is Agis NOT Aegis...)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:09 pm

I donno.. you're as good as the Aegis system in my opinion

And Matt sorta threw the gauntlet down, saying 'first to publish' wins. While it'd be nice to have overlap, I can understand people's hesitation when it comes to buisness..
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:14 pm

Hiromoon wrote:
LOL! :D
Hiromoon wrote:And Matt sorta threw the gauntlet down, saying 'first to publish' wins. While it'd be nice to have overlap, I can understand people's hesitation when it comes to buisness..
Hmm - IMO it is also "whoever delivers the best quality product" wins in the long run.
Being the 1st is one thing, but having a solid book, that is consistent with the existing material is also helping a lot!
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:53 pm

Agis wrote:
Hiromoon wrote:And Matt sorta threw the gauntlet down, saying 'first to publish' wins. While it'd be nice to have overlap, I can understand people's hesitation when it comes to buisness..
Hmm - IMO it is also "whoever delivers the best quality product" wins in the long run.
Being the 1st is one thing, but having a solid book, that is consistent with the existing material is also helping a lot!
True, and man, don't I know it... trying to coordinate the look and feel, from a graphics prospective, of books is a pain, then there's rules to make sure everything fits the same tone, with alright overlap...
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
pelarel
Weasel

Postby pelarel » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:18 pm

I'm still a little confused as to why Mongoose went for an OGL for wargame. An RPG I can understand as you can have different settings/adventures without upsetting game balance etc.. but for a wargame it makes things... difficult for the reasons mentioned above. If I want to organise a tournament i have to amke sure that all of my entrants have access to the supplements that I want to use etc...

was it purely a financial decision on Mongooses part? (which would seem a bit daft to me as Agis's book so far would have sold by the bucket load!)
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:26 pm

Well, I think it has more to do with intellectual property...

...I mean, look at the amount of stuff that was created during the pre OGL days... stuff in the works included Star Wars (still available folks!), cards, and so on. Having an OGL gives people a base line to work with.
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Mongoose get a slice from wargamers vault, don't have to write the supplement or pay anything, and more supplements provide support for the system and encourage sales of the core books from mongoose.
As Mongoose don't do minis anymore, they don't have to worry about minis to support these ranges, and can concentrate on expanding their book ranges. Freelancers expand the book range without having to be paid by Mongoose, and as long as the products are of a decent quality, everyone wins, particularly players, as Mongoose probably wouldn't have time to write anywhere near as many books.
Court Jester
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Court Jester » Fri Jan 02, 2009 7:43 pm

I think the OGL is great.

It lets gamers write up their own rules... and sell them... officially.

And it gives everyone else a whole toolbox of rules to use in their games.

And if you want to run a tournament just use the basic rulebook... simple really.
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:39 pm

Court Jester wrote:I think the OGL is great.

It lets gamers write up their own rules... and sell them... officially.

And it gives everyone else a whole toolbox of rules to use in their games.

And if you want to run a tournament just use the basic rulebook... simple really.
Agreed to all of the above.
:D
And please remember that everyone who wants to use any of the A.D.Publishing books still needs Bf Evo: MC or WaW, not so daft to me...
:wink: :wink:

...and as far as the buckets of books sold; Dave and me would still made more money building Burgers at McD!
It is a labour of love, no more. :)
Ben2
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Ben2 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:48 pm

Yeah, unfortunately pretty much the only way to make a small fortune in the gaming industry is to start with a large fortune and go from there.....
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Ben2 wrote:Yeah, unfortunately pretty much the only way to make a small fortune in the gaming industry is to start with a large fortune and go from there.....
LOL, that might help...
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:41 pm

I'd say he's considerably more effective :)
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D