P&P available for pre-order

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
katadder
Chief Mongoose

P&P available for pre-order

Postby katadder » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:12 am

seems its up for a feb release and according to the blurb theres gonna be more fluff and optional rules suggested from the forums so be interesting to see whats going in.

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/home/ ... ?qsID=1641
1st & Only Centauri Grand Admiral

LONAW Fleets: http://www.mediafire.com/?tddmi2mjcl2
CZuschlag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CZuschlag » Mon Dec 01, 2008 3:10 am

Gives us time for about half-an-iteration or so. Makes Redundancy unlikely but we might get a couple of last tweaks in (pak'ma'ra addition, removal of the Fusion Missiles and the Centauri Hunting Packs (I hope!), tonedown the new ramming rule, maybe?)
"Not everything that can be counted counts; and not everything that counts can be counted." -- George Gallup

Dilgar -- Primary
Drakh -- Secondary
Early EA -- Tertiary
Grunvald
Banded Mongoose

Postby Grunvald » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:25 pm

Now that's really quite weird, being as we are still being asked for play testing and it usually takes around 2 to 3 months for things like layout etc to be done not to mention the printing schedule for the printers!

So id Feb an early guess?

or have we all been wasting out time???

From a really puzzeled Grunvald!
B5 Map Campaign Trial Rules V1.2 now up!

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=f22b ... b9a8902bda
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:33 pm

Matt has said he wants it finished by the end of the year. That gives them a couple of months to get it edited, laid out and printed.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
Grunvald
Banded Mongoose

Postby Grunvald » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:40 pm

Greg Smith wrote:Matt has said he wants it finished by the end of the year. That gives them a couple of months to get it edited, laid out and printed.
:?: Hope you mean weeks and not months!

Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:49 pm

optional rules from the forum - sounds good :)

be intersting to see which ones
Grunvald
Banded Mongoose

Postby Grunvald » Mon Dec 01, 2008 7:23 pm

heh missed that bit :D

Now we all going to start guessing which optional rules are going to be icluded!!!

But it would make an excelent book to go out on!

CZuschlag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CZuschlag » Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:16 pm

Guesses on optionals:

1). TBS
2). Redundancy
3). Point system port from ACTA:v2 to ACTA:B5.

Legal question:

If a fan base starts an organized, distributed, but free set of rule enhancements and playtests of an old expired product by electronic media (PDF), is that still permissible after the license expires?

Can we still do that work here, on the boards, or is that impermissible as it appears that Mongoose is still engaging in the effort after start of 2009?

I'm basically asking about the where fanwork, collective fan work, and collaborative fan work starts and where lack of license ends.
"Not everything that can be counted counts; and not everything that counts can be counted." -- George Gallup

Dilgar -- Primary
Drakh -- Secondary
Early EA -- Tertiary
Court Jester
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Court Jester » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:34 am

I'm sure when B5 oes away you could write a "B5 ships for 3rd Ed. ACTA" document and have it for download for free.
Court Jester
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Court Jester » Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:35 am

Grunvald wrote:
Greg Smith wrote:Matt has said he wants it finished by the end of the year. That gives them a couple of months to get it edited, laid out and printed.
:?: Hope you mean weeks and not months!
It gives them more than a couple of weeks...

In reality a book could be laid out and edited in a few days... depends on the resources given to the task.
silashand
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby silashand » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:05 am

If you read the State of the Mongoose, if I understand correctly they currently have only one editor who also does the layout. I think 2 months is probably about right. Then again, given the disappearance of the painting guide I won't be holding my breath.

Cheers, Gary
Primary: Drakh
Secondary: Gaim
Tertiary: Centauri / Dilgar

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Court Jester
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Court Jester » Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:15 am

silashand wrote:If you read the State of the Mongoose, if I understand correctly they currently have only one editor who also does the layout. I think 2 months is probably about right. Then again, given the disappearance of the painting guide I won't be holding my breath.

Cheers, Gary
They only have one layout artist and more than a few editors but it it really shouldn't take 2 months. All the work like page graphics already exist and really they should have an ACTA template with all paragraph styles in place. Layout should not take that long so that leaves the editing.

I don't think it is a case of he work taking 2 months, they just a good schedule and plan to fit the workload into said schedule. And it all depends on other books being produced at the same time.
CZuschlag
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby CZuschlag » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:52 pm

Court Jester wrote:I'm sure when B5 does away you could write a "B5 ships for 3rd Ed. ACTA" document and have it for download for free.
Where can we go to get confirmation of this? If we had elections on team members for a annual or biannual balance/tweak project and a free ACTA update for B5 ship universe, would this be legally acceptible?

Voting members couldn't be Mongoose, likely, and would need to conform to ACTA system updates as portrayed in different universe (including a points conversion process, likely), but would keep it alive and active, if not a saleable product.

Is this legal? Ethically stupid? Too early to ask?

Dilgar -- Primary
Drakh -- Secondary
Early EA -- Tertiary
silashand
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby silashand » Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:19 pm

Another question, will P&P be available in PDF format?

Cheers, Gary
Primary: Drakh
Secondary: Gaim
Tertiary: Centauri / Dilgar

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Court Jester
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Court Jester » Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:19 pm

CZuschlag wrote:
Court Jester wrote:I'm sure when B5 does away you could write a "B5 ships for 3rd Ed. ACTA" document and have it for download for free.
Where can we go to get confirmation of this? If we had elections on team members for a annual or biannual balance/tweak project and a free ACTA update for B5 ship universe, would this be legally acceptible?

Voting members couldn't be Mongoose, likely, and would need to conform to ACTA system updates as portrayed in different universe (including a points conversion process, likely), but would keep it alive and active, if not a saleable product.

All sounds a little much really...

People are notoriously fickle... If you want something done then my advice would be to do it yourself. Hard work but then you don't have to rely on others.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:15 am

I tend to concur - getting concensus on such a document could be incredibily difficult. You could however def do it with a good team leader doing the majoirty of the compiliation. Its also worth remembering that this sort of project can get people quite tense about it (having expereinced some of the same on the 40K RPG side of things)

but Hopefully the new system won't be that different - if its just a case of assigning points?

If there are big changes as has been suggested (harder to crit etc) then that gets possibily more complicated?
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:24 am

CZuschlag wrote:

PM Matt? He did say that :
msprange wrote:
Da Boss wrote:Will you have to remove things (like fan made supplements) from the website when the licence stops like with the fan fiction?
We will have to take down all the bits and pieces on the main web site but, from that moment, we will have no responsibility for fan-made productions.
so they may be prepared to allow them but S+P support seems out.

but then they did have to remove all the fan fic and are having to pulp all the B5 ACTA books / D20 ? on expiry of the license according to the SOM thread
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:30 am

I don't expect this forum to survive. It is on Mongoose's domain name after all, therefore "official", and has the B5 name and trademarks all over it. Whether we'll be allowed to discuss B5 mods or rules in the new "Generic ACTA" forum, remains to be seen.

I wonder if previous S&P's will have to go as well since they contain B5 references? Maybe that's why there hasn't been much in S&P to do with ACTA lately :lol:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

katadder
Chief Mongoose

Postby katadder » Wed Dec 03, 2008 12:35 pm

lol maybe. dont see there being a problem with B5 fanmade stuff in a general ACTA forum as we already have had BSG, Star Trek etc mods in this forum when mongoose dont hold rights for them.
1st & Only Centauri Grand Admiral

LONAW Fleets: http://www.mediafire.com/?tddmi2mjcl2
mollari_uk
Banded Mongoose

Postby mollari_uk » Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:01 pm

I'm pretty sure you can create whatever you want as long as it's not used for commercial purposes. Otherwise there'd be a lot fewer websites on the internet.

As long as it's not direct copying of copyright material.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll all be cleared up at some point. If it can't be posted directly here then links to another site could be.
What do you want, you moon-faced assassin of joy?