What happened to the SST playtest files?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
DaltonCalford
Banded Mongoose

What happened to the SST playtest files?

Postby DaltonCalford » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:08 pm

I just went looking to download them and they are gone.

Does anyone know what has happened?
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Sat Sep 13, 2008 5:59 pm

We cancelled the playtest - there was very little interest in it.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
DaltonCalford
Banded Mongoose

Postby DaltonCalford » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:06 pm

I just received my hard copy of modern (I have been waiting for my pdf that I bought a long time back----hint hint)

I wanted to look at the rules since I have just been getting my collection of skinnies gathered together.

Is there any way to get a copy?
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:21 pm

IMO it really IS amazing how little interest is gathered by the generous offered playtest opportunities. :shock:

Just looking (only counting - not judging the quality) at the 11 and 15 replies to the WaW playtest topic on this forum seem to proof this...

Get playing and testing guys! 8)
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
Armydillo978
Mongoose

Postby Armydillo978 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:04 am

Agis wrote:IMO it really IS amazing how little interest is gathered by the generous offered playtest opportunities. :shock:

Just looking (only counting - not judging the quality) at the 11 and 15 replies to the WaW playtest topic on this forum seem to proof this...

Get playing and testing guys! 8)
There was a playtest topic? :shock:

Apparently I've not been too observant.
-Bill
--------------
Sometimes when you roll the dice, you roll craps.
MarkNorfolk
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby MarkNorfolk » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:37 am

That's a shame - I'm hoping that SST is one of the things that MGP will go back to when they get their mini production up and running again.

Cheers
Mark
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:16 am

MarkNorfolk wrote:That's a shame - I'm hoping that SST is one of the things that MGP will go back to when they get their mini production up and running again.
I cannot agree more! It would be very sad if SST goes into oblivion... :cry:
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
DaltonCalford
Banded Mongoose

Postby DaltonCalford » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:14 pm

We have a large play group in our area.
I, like most of our group, stopped buying when the announcement came out about the pre-paints. (It is better to buy pre-painted given how life stops you from finishing your armies).

Unfortunately, the sudden canceling hit me with unfinished armies and no budget when the ebay selling occurred.

Now, I have the money to finish my collections, but the items are rare or impossible to find.

I would love to buy more, but, many of the items I want are just impossible to find (or never produced).

So, now I want to support the game, support the company who makes the game, but, when I first found out about the SST playtest, it was never clear about a place to give feedback to.

The same thing occured with B:EVO.

All I can say is, please start up SST again, and give us some fair warning as to what you are doing so that we can budget for it.

best regards

Dalton
Armydillo978
Mongoose

Postby Armydillo978 » Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:20 am

If your looking for SST figures, you might try SICON

http://www.phpbbplanet.com/sicon/index. ... orum=sicon

They list tradable figures and stuff there.
-Bill
--------------
McKickaha
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby McKickaha » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:42 am

I too was very disappointed at the loss of the SST minis. I luckily, (in some respects), was just about to get into the game when the announcement was made. I would certainly invest heavily if and when SST returns.
Paladin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Paladin » Wed Sep 17, 2008 3:06 pm

sigh.
Armydillo978
Mongoose

Postby Armydillo978 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:34 am

Paladin wrote:sigh.
Now that's just a heavy sigh.
-Bill
--------------
Paladin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Paladin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:43 pm

I don't think it's solely a "lack of interest", but includes a weak presentation to fans.

1. Many people that play SST don't play the other Evo games. Forcing them to buy a rulebook for a game they won't use, in order to playtest a game they do like makes it more difficult to sell them on the idea.

2. SST was rolled into the modern combat section of this forum cutting off contact with many existing SST players that were infrequent visitors to the official site (See the 6-10 threads of "where did SST go"). Multiple that number by 10-15 for the lurkers and those who wouldn't post or look around very long and simply assume the game was discontinued permenantly.

3. The links to SST were removed from the main page and put in an obscure location making point #2 significantly worse.

4. Updates tapered off on suggestsions made making the desire to input more into a project lacking interest by MP a self-fulfilling prophecy.

5. a fallout related to differing points of view and a lack of civility by certain parties split the online SST community a bit. The absence of a cohesive forum location on MP led to the shifting of membership to SICON command.

6. The few that disavowed WOTS made more noise than those that tried to push forward.

7. I don't believe that the SST playtest ever made the MP blog, yahoo newletter or S&P to promote it or encourage interest in the playtesting project.

8. The removal of the Forth/Coven (though understandable due to balancing issues) created a loss of confidence in WOTS and expressed the lack of desire by MP to truly support the game.

9. A clear spot to submit feedback beyond an email to Matt wasn't identified.

So yes, that is a heavy sigh.

LIVE FOREVER APES!
Paladin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Paladin » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:49 pm

What would it take to express "enough" interest in the project to continue forward with it?
Armydillo978
Mongoose

Postby Armydillo978 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:12 pm

Paladin wrote:What would it take to express "enough" interest in the project to continue forward with it?
That would be whatever it takes to make Mr. Sprange take a kindly interest in it.

Perhaps we can entice him with some Chibi versions of SsTs?
-Bill
--------------
Quark
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Quark » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:09 pm

Good points Paladin. Speaking for myself, I'd be all over it if I didn't have to buy the extra book.
"We're fightin' giant bugs on freakin' Pluto man!We're all crazy!"
DaltonCalford
Banded Mongoose

Postby DaltonCalford » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:28 am

Paladin wrote:What would it take to express "enough" interest in the project to continue forward with it?
I don't know, as I am currently expressing enough interest by placing an order over $600 from him. I know that it is but a drop in the bucket that he needs to pay attention to the market, but, if those of us who have been scouring ebay and other online sources, tried to buy direct, we may have an impact on the future of the game.

Perhaps if others tried to finish their collections and contacted Matt, their might be enough to convince him that he should be making regular production runs instead of clearing out old materials.

It is a great game. In my opinion, the only thing it needed was more armies and models, with little done to the rules except for clarification/presentation changes.
MarkNorfolk
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby MarkNorfolk » Fri Sep 19, 2008 1:54 am

A Black and White print-to-order book maybe?

Even so, a new rulebook is nothing without the minis and proxys only get you so far....

Cheers
Mark
Sgt. Brassones
Greater Spotted Mongoose
Location: Buena Park, California, USA, Earth, Milky Way, Known Universe

Postby Sgt. Brassones » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:18 am

A minis game cannot survive without minis. I don't care if the rules are free. If one cannot buy minis for PAMI, Skinnies, Cougars, etc, etc, what good are free rules? There are plenty of free rules on the 'net. All of them use generic minis or minis everyone already has.
Live as brave men; and if fortune is adverse, front its blows with brave hearts.

Cicero
deniper
Weasel

Postby deniper » Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:25 pm

so i should consider the copy of the playtest rules i have as the final official version of the game?

ok...

oddly i have enough models to handel most of what i might like to do.
could use some of the upgraded tanker bugs. but ya know.... :roll:

heres the question i have; would it be impossible to out sourse the casting to one of those wonderfull companys like Iron wind metals or Reaper minis that will happyly produce castings in small lots on a basicly "as ordered" status...

i feel there is particular intrest in the exo suits (wonderfull sculpts) and, LAMI, perhaps metal versions of ripplers (again great sculpts).

I understand how the plastics may be difficult to keep in production. but there are many of the metal models that could sell pretty well just as generic Sci Fi minis.

my opinion is that the resin tanker (in particular) did not garner much intrest due to price point. (compaired to inexpensive Plastic Tankers)

i really would have liked to have gotten one of the sky hooks myself but i was pretty broke during the sales window...

anyway i personally will continue to play and enjoy SST with my friends. and will work on developing the playtest rules into something compleate for our own personal use regardless... :wink: