P&P Playtest Pack v 1.1

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

P&P Playtest Pack v 1.1

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:51 am

Hi guys,

New update for the playtest files. Below I list the major changes, but don't be surprised if you come across a little tweak here and there that is not listed.

1. Raiders get new Allies rule - both balances the sicker combinations of League fleets and custom jobs, but also gives them new choices.

2. Drazi Attack Run clarified a little. It is my feeling that the concept is good, but the execution needs a little tweak. See what you think of this version.

3. Track That Target revisited. Not sure I like this one at all - it is in because people asked for it - just hoping you get what you wanted, as I can see some issues with a rule like this. . .

4. Hunting Packs completely revisited, and the concept turned on its head. Might work a bit better though.

5. Gravitic Shifters revisited. You really want D6 Damage, rather than a crit?

6. Vree get a new Special Action. Inspired by a post on the forum, very Vree-like.

7. Gaim tweaked as per comments.

8. Abbai Shields SA tweaked.

9. Boneheads gone. Fusion Missiles currently for all EA right now.

10. Army of Light tweaked. Should be easier to use now.

11. Psi Corps get funky new things for space stations.

12. Beams on space stations reduced across the board, as have some missiles. Interceptor Modules made cheaper.

13. Shielding SA tweaked.

14. Campaigns of Terror Raiders Station now conforms to new rules.

15. Also added New Ships and Admirals chapters.

Enjoy!
Last edited by MongooseMatt on Thu Nov 06, 2008 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:00 am

Do you have a link?
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
katadder
Chief Mongoose

Postby katadder » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:02 am

emailed him about it
1st & Only Centauri Grand Admiral

LONAW Fleets: http://www.mediafire.com/?tddmi2mjcl2
Foxmeister
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Foxmeister » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:03 am

I amended the old link to 1.1 and it works

http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/pdf/c ... est1.1.zip
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:13 am

Genius. Why didn't I think of that? :oops:
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Re: P&P Playtest Pack v 1.1

Postby Burger » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:35 am

msprange wrote:2. Drazi Attack Run clarified a little. It is my feeling that the concept is good, but the execution needs a little tweak. See what you think of this version.
It's exactly the same! Just not re-rolling hits or misses for twin-linked doesn't change the rule at all, it just saves some time picking up all the dice and re-rolling them all.

I like the Vree one. Though maybe the number of abductees should vary by PL? A Ximm can kidnap just as many people from a Hemes, as a Z'Takk can from a Warlock...
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:42 am

Burger wrote:Just not re-rolling hits or misses for twin-linked doesn't change the rule at all, it just saves some time picking up all the dice and re-rolling them all.
Which was an issue raised.

Also, we cut out the multi-ship attack run.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
silashand
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby silashand » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:34 pm

msprange wrote:5. Gravitic Shifters revisited. You really want D6 Damage, rather than a crit?
Who are you asking, Brakiri players or everyone else? ;-)

Cheers, Gary
Primary: Drakh
Secondary: Gaim
Tertiary: Centauri / Dilgar

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:40 pm

silashand wrote:
msprange wrote:5. Gravitic Shifters revisited. You really want D6 Damage, rather than a crit?
Who are you asking, Brakiri players or everyone else? ;-)

Cheers, Gary
Heh :)

My gut really does tell me this should be a crit, rather than damage.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
katadder
Chief Mongoose

Postby katadder » Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:41 pm

not precise enough IMO. more the fact they are tearing it apart so is structural damage.

Dave G
Weasel

Postby Dave G » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:13 pm

not precise enough IMO. more the fact they are tearing it apart so is structural damage.
I'd agree. Generalised twisting, stress, and compression damage due to conflicting gravitational forces.

I'd suggest making the damage greater depending on the size of the target ship - so there would be more damage to a war level ship than a skirmish level one.
For example:
Patrol level target: 1D6 - 2
Skirmish level target: 1D6
Raid level target: 1D6 + 2
Battle level target: 2D6
War level target: 2D6 + 2
Armag level target: 3D6

Or something like that.
Quantity has a Quality all of it's own.
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:18 pm

Two missing chapters, 1 and 5. I assume 1 will be the introduction, but what about 5?

Loving the raiders stuff. I never did accept the argument in making their ships weaker, so this is a nice buff. League allies have been reduced to a single upgrade. Do they need any? Perhaps League allies should lose something (trait, AD, speed) for their upgrade while Raiders get it for free?
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
katadder
Chief Mongoose

Postby katadder » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:19 pm

i think mostly we are agreed the league dont need upgrades. however some people like the idea of pimping their league rides.

noobdelux
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby noobdelux » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:42 pm

diddent knew where to put this question but the way 2Fer 1`s needs to be clarified in campains what you get for killing 1 of them or say how many victory pts you get for killing one and so on if ya know what i mean,diddent find annything on theese points in the current rules

and so sorry if this have been clarified b4
katadder
Chief Mongoose

Postby katadder » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:47 pm

you get vps equal to a single patrol level ship for killing one of them.
in campaigns as with fighters any 2fers would be left over in your roster.

l33tpenguin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby l33tpenguin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:35 pm

msprange wrote: 3. Track That Target revisited. Not sure I like this one at all - it is in because people asked for it - just hoping you get what you wanted, as I can see some issues with a rule like this. . .
Just curious, what don't you like about it? Would you rather it be handled different?

The way the sink/boresight problem is currently solved in my games is with a homemade house rule
This is a House rule by l33tpenguin and not from the playtest material wrote:New Special Action – Bring Weapons to Bear
CQ: Opposed
Requirements: Ship capable of making at least 1 turn.

This special action declares that the crew of one ship is following the course of a specific ship in order to bring their weapons to bear on their target. When this special action is declared, the attacker designates the target ship and an opposed check is rolled. If the attacking ship wins, the player declares the firing arc and the ship performing the special action is moved, using all but 1 if its turn. The firing arc is which ever weapon arc the player wishes to bring to bear on the target ship and the target ship is any opposing ship that has not yet been moved. The movement phase proceeds as normal until the target ship is moved. At the end of the target ship’s movement, the ship that declared the Bring to Bear special action uses its last turn to attempt to bring the target ship into the designated fire arc. The player must commit to the turn whether or not it is possible to bring the target ship into the designated arc. If unable to bring the target into the designated arc, the ship must be turned its full turn in the direction of the target ship.
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. "
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:29 pm

msprange wrote:Hi guys,
Hi There and thanks for the opportunity to contribute :)
msprange wrote: New update for the playtest files. Below I list the major changes, but don't be surprised if you come across a little tweak here and there that is not listed.
msprange wrote: 1. Raiders get new Allies rule - both balances the sicker combinations of League fleets and custom jobs, but also gives them new choices.
not sure it does balance them - also means that a League player can face better versions of his own ships

Ipsha War Globe - give it Hull 6 for loss of 1 speed, or +20% hull and crew for free! Make its nasty guns TL for loss ofits only troop!
Firehawk with HUll 6 or interceptors

etc........
msprange wrote:2. Drazi Attack Run clarified a little. It is my feeling that the concept is good, but the execution needs a little tweak. See what you think of this version.
I dislike it due to firing in the move phase, and hate free rams - i'd remove the confirmation roll but make it that a failed CQ check means the ship may not fire at all
msprange wrote:3. Track That Target revisited. Not sure I like this one at all - it is in because people asked for it - just hoping you get what you wanted, as I can see some issues with a rule like this. . ..
What people? I don't recal anyone asking for this version on the forum? Lots of other versions but not this - confused I am
msprange wrote: 4. Hunting Packs completely revisited, and the concept turned on its head. Might work a bit better though..
Don't like due to the protection of skirmish ships - not something we Centauri need - something is needed for the Ships of the Line
msprange wrote: 5. Gravitic Shifters revisited. You really want D6 Damage, rather than a crit?.
I'd prefer a graduated damage scale rather than sudden 6,6 crits
msprange wrote: 6. Vree get a new Special Action. Inspired by a post on the forum, very Vree-like..
interesting but prob needs to deped on the level of the ship doing the swiping?
msprange wrote: 7. Gaim tweaked as per comments..
ok
msprange wrote:8. Abbai Shields SA tweaked..
Looks good
msprange wrote: 9. Boneheads gone. Fusion Missiles currently for all EA right now. .
Thank god the bonehead has gone, Not keen on another fleet getting emines but could be worse
msprange wrote: 10. Army of Light tweaked. Should be easier to use now..

I'd keep it as an option rather than a replacement for the League and tweek the rules for the League - a mod to Iniative should do it if the problem is felt to be that big.
msprange wrote: 11. Psi Corps get funky new things for space stations. .
hmmm, OK
msprange wrote: 12. Beams on space stations reduced across the board, as have some missiles. Interceptor Modules made cheaper..
Still way too good for the price - too many guns on too small a platform
msprange wrote: 13. Shielding SA tweaked. .
Good
msprange wrote: 14. Campaigns of Terror Raiders Station now conforms to new rules..
ok
msprange wrote: 15. Also added New Ships and Admirals chapters..
be better to have admirals for all races rather than just for EA / ISA / Minbari

Enjoy!
thanks
l33tpenguin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby l33tpenguin » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:14 pm

I think you quoted your comments there, Boss
"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die. "
silashand
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby silashand » Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:11 pm

msprange wrote:My gut really does tell me this should be a crit, rather than damage.
I seem to recall a description of the shifters that Greg put out as indescriminate. If that's the same description that's used now, I'd think damage sounds more appropriate. It's not like you're reaching out and tearing the ship apart in different directions. As I understand it you're battering them like a stream of water or some such. If that's not how they are meant to be portrayed, then perhaps you need a different description of the effect. JMO though...
Da Boss wrote:
msprange wrote:3. Track That Target revisited. Not sure I like this one at all - it is in because people asked for it - just hoping you get what you wanted, as I can see some issues with a rule like this. . ..
What people? I don't recal anyone asking for this version on the forum? Lots of other versions but not this - confused I am
Personally, I don't care for it either, but I don't see any other suggestions that have been put forth being considered. I'd prefer something that didn't increase the boresight arc myself. Doesn't seem very fluffy otherwise. JMO though.

Cheers, Gary
Primary: Drakh
Secondary: Gaim
Tertiary: Centauri / Dilgar

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:13 am

silashand wrote:
Da Boss wrote:
Personally, I don't care for it either, but I don't see any other suggestions that have been put forth being considered. I'd prefer something that didn't increase the boresight arc myself. Doesn't seem very fluffy otherwise. JMO though.

Cheers, Gary
Follow That Target!
Crew Quality 8
To peform this special action, a ship must be able to turn at the end of its movement (ie. satisfy the movement requirements and not be adrift etc), and must have a turn remaining unused. At the end of the movement phase, it must use this turn to attempt to Boresight the specified target ship. If the target cannot be boresighted then the ship must turn as far as it can in the direction of the target. The ship may only fire on the specified target.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.