Playtest Rules Space Stations

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Playtest Rules Space Stations

Postby Da Boss » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:09 pm

I must admit - this does seem really cool - reminds me of the Tau...

a few thoughts................

One assumes you can't start with these on your campaign roster as they need to have a Strategic Target to place in or can you assign one when you capture it?

there is some scary scary ranges on those things :)
Triggy
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Triggy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 pm

The ranges are to compensate for the fact that space stations are immobile. If they face fleets that mostly outrange them then they can be a bit up the creek without a paddle...
"Sir, the enemy have us completely surrounded."
"Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

ACtA Playtester

Triggy's Fantasy Formula 1
nekomata fuyu
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby nekomata fuyu » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:15 pm

Indeed, very cool :)
The main complaint from a quick flick through though is Psi Corps. I fully agree with the idea of putting them in with the EA section, but it's feels like there's options missing for them. These would still easily fit into the EA section (just mark them as Psi Corps only). Off of the top of my head, here's some options for the Psi Corps:

-Must have-
Fighters - Psi Corps have no way of having their two main fighter types, which I find disappointing. Seeing as both Black Omegas and Shadowfuries are now 2fers, which is the same as Firebolts, I'd suggest adding them as options to the Advanced Hanger Module. The Shadowfury would be available only for Psi Corps stations, but I'd consider leaving the Black Omega available to mundane EA, just to represent that some settlements have an official Psi Corps presence.

Overall, I'd change Advanced Hanger Module to the following:
Advanced Hangar Module (Third Age, Crusade Era and Psi Corps only) 2 Hardpoints
Containing the best fighters the EA has to offer, the presence of this module on a space station will ensure its safety against almost any enemy.

Each Hangar Module will increase the Core’s Damage by +10/+5/+0. It will also add the Carrier 4 trait, and four flights of one of the following fighter types: Black Omega Starfury (all), Firebolt Starfury (Crusade and Psi Corps), or Shadowfury (Psi Corps).
-Really want-
What could be coller than a spaceship full of teeps? A space station full of teeps! I'd love to see module that gives the space station the Psychic Crew trait. Whilst there's the slight issue that space stations can't use SAs, I don't think that it would be too hard to modify the trait to be used in a non-SA form by space stations. Even if you just said that space stations can use the psychic crew trait once a turn I don't think it would be too overpowering, as the trait is short ranged and space stations can't move.

-Would be nice-
With all these shadowtech ships flying around, it would be nice to see a shadowtech station. Maybe a module that adds self-repair to the station? And some of the shadow based weaponry?
Last edited by nekomata fuyu on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep Death off the roads - clamp Binky!

Wanted: Federation Fast Cruisers (PM with offers)
Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:20 pm

I like those ideas.
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
Triggy
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Triggy » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:20 pm

Ditto :)
"Sir, the enemy have us completely surrounded."
"Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

ACtA Playtester

Triggy's Fantasy Formula 1
nekomata fuyu
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby nekomata fuyu » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:23 pm

I do try ;)
If I have any more ideas from the darker side of humanity, I'll throw them in 8)

The_Mhor
Weasel

Postby The_Mhor » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:24 pm

The only thing I don't like about the new Space Station rules is that with the Babylon 5 Battle Station depicted in these rules you would now have no chance of winning the Severed Dreams scenario as it is set out in the rulebook. It was damn near impossible when the range was 2" less than an Omega's laser and you had minefields, now the gap between their range and that of B5 is immense and there's no minefield module at all...
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:25 pm

and of course the Psychic Crew Module leaves it open to Psychic Scream damage ? :D helps balance

nice ideas :)
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:27 pm

The_Mhor wrote:The only thing I don't like about the new Space Station rules is that with the Babylon 5 Battle Station depicted in these rules you would now have no chance of winning the Severed Dreams scenario as it is set out in the rulebook. It was damn near impossible when the range was 2" less than an Omega's laser and you had minefields, now the gap between their range and that of B5 is immense and there's no minefield module at all...
er that is very true - all stop and pivot means that you can trash it from range..............been there, done that :D
silashand
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby silashand » Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:27 pm

Triggy wrote:Ditto :)
Trebled :).

Cheers, Gary
Primary: Drakh
Secondary: Gaim
Tertiary: Centauri / Dilgar

"Stand up for what you believe in, even if it means standing alone." - Unknown
"Every man is guilty of all the good he didn't do." - Voltaire (1694-1778)
nekomata fuyu
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby nekomata fuyu » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:02 am

Here's one I've just picked up on - why would anyone every take the EA interceptor module? For the same number of hardpoints, you can take 3 point defence modules, get interceptors +6 instead of +5, get Anti-Fighter +3, and get an additional 30/15/- damage instead of 10/5/-.

Greg Smith
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Greg Smith » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:56 am

Well spotted. Something to look at.

Supplementary question, is the Point Defence or Interceptor module worth more than 1 HP?
"Bringer of Warmth, Carrier of Carrion, Prophet of Dilgarness, Speaker of all thing Llort!"

Part-time Narn.

ACTA playtester
Victorious Grand Admiral
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:35 am

You have to be very careful with cheap, stackable, multi-trait modules. I'd say that just one of them is worth 1HP. But buying multiple of them is too much. Maybe second or subsequent modules of the same type, should cost +1HP each? So first costs 1, second costs 2, third costs 3... etc. Apply to all modules as a building rule, not just the pint defence one.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

nekomata fuyu
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby nekomata fuyu » Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:58 am

Just to add to the confusion, I've just noticed that in both examples at the end of the section, both the Point Defence module and Interceptor module cost 2 hardpoints.

No. 1 Bear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby No. 1 Bear » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:06 am

This does seem open to allot of abuse though can you imagine a patrol level space station with Brikari beam module or solar module (drazi).

So i have a patrol level space station with 10AD of beam.

Or if you wanted to be really cheesy mount a neutron laser on it. In a patrol level game that would be insane!
comfortable bear
nekomata fuyu
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby nekomata fuyu » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:14 am

That doesn't seem too bad.
Patrol core + big weapon system = dedicated defence satellite

Keep in mind that the two examples you gave are Slow Loading, so of course they're going to look like silly amounts of AD...

No. 1 Bear
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby No. 1 Bear » Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:27 am

Yeh but a 36" neutron laser isnt slow loading and has 6AD. I just personally feel that its open to allot of abuse. So space stations can they be used in anything other than campaigns? It would be cool if they could as they seem really fun to play with.
comfortable bear
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:46 am

The heavy guns do seem a bit too good for smaller stations.

When it is released expect Burger's Space Station Warehouse to follow shortly ;)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

Silvereye
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Silvereye » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:03 pm

You could get around the massive laser, tiny platform by limiting modules to equal or above a set Preiority Level.
Burger wrote:You have to be very careful with cheap, stackable, multi-trait modules. I'd say that just one of them is worth 1HP. But buying multiple of them is too much. Maybe second or subsequent modules of the same type, should cost +1HP each? So first costs 1, second costs 2, third costs 3... etc. Apply to all modules as a building rule, not just the pint defence one.
I have to agree with this, you can certainly build some bristly monsters, or veritable hives of fighters. Also how do Carrier traits stack for the purposes of Repair and Replenish if I buy multiple hangers?

Some suggestions on the Station rules.

Drazi Stations.
Add in a Missile rack and perhaps replace the Solar Cannon with a (Heavy) Particle Beam.

Shadow & Vorlon Space Stations
I'd make the self repair modules mandatory, otherwise you could start getting into arguments about whether it should incur the costs double penalties.

In the show, the Vorlon outpost was originally disguised as (or built on?) an asteroid, would it be appropriate to add a module to prevent anyone firing on the station until it has revealed itself by firing (or doing something).

Shadow Stations
Can a Shadow Station use Hyperspace Mastery to escape? If not, would a module for it be appropriate? Certainly allowing them to enter a fight this way would just be rude.

Can a Shadow Station merge with Shadow Vessels to heal them? Or should a module be added to allow this?

Shadow Module:
Bio-drive module (hardpoints - varies depending on size)
The station loses the Immobile trait and gains Move 4" (may only be taken once, NOT affected by Superb Manoeuvrability). During the End Phase after adrift ships have moved, the station may make upto a 45º turn and then move upto 4" in a straight line. The station may still be the target of Mass Drivers.
Andy W
Collector of dead wargames
katadder
Chief Mongoose

Postby katadder » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:12 pm

I would say no to the mastery but cant confirm that. but as it cant move dont see how it could fade out.

definate no to merging as the ships merging have to be the same or variants of.
1st & Only Centauri Grand Admiral

LONAW Fleets: http://www.mediafire.com/?tddmi2mjcl2