Modern combat : is it out..?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:10 pm

I've been in a Stryker.... you're not missing anything Rvrrat!
ImageImage
Thanks Veon and ScipioAmericanus!
www.zupandevelopment.com
hithero
Banded Mongoose

Postby hithero » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:44 pm

I know nothing about the USMC or the M113 but on their Marine Veteran site is appears that they had them and want the M113 back.
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showt ... hp?t=18282
captainsmirk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby captainsmirk » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:55 pm

Whilst the site is for USMC veterans the actually post doesn't mention the marine corps once and only talks about the army...

Nick
Captain Sheridan you're under arrest for a clear violation of the laws of physics!
rvrratt
Banded Mongoose

Postby rvrratt » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:57 pm

Hiromoon wrote:I've been in a Stryker.... you're not missing anything Rvrrat!
I hear that! I read on military.com that the troops over in Iraq don't like them either and love their Bradlys!

Why is the Stryker so hyped up and how does it stack up against the Bradley in the real world?
US Army River Rat (Amphibious Assault) Veteran
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:02 pm

It's one of the few vehicles that actually underwent all the tests at the Proving Grounds.... Failed two of 'em... big ones in my opinion too. It's hyped up because it's the latest thing, like the V-22 Osprey.
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
Alexb83
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Alexb83 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:28 pm

Did you ever see/read the Pentagon Wars? Supposedly the Bradley was much the same story.
Cats! I'm being nibbled to death by cats.

My Photobucket: http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/Alexb83/
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:32 pm

An excellent film - my senior Pentagon colleagues tell me its farcical and complete fabrication; my less senior Pentagon colleagues (some of whom are involved in LFT&E) reckon it is so close to the truth its scary.

"Office of Ruminant Procurement" indeed :D
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
Alexb83
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Alexb83 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:38 pm

I'm somewhat further down the food chain in the defence industry, but from all my interactions with the DPA (or whatever they're calling themselves this week) and various defence contractors, it strikes me as entirely plausible :)

It's quite sad from the point of view of the service personnel that their seniors, under the pressure of the cold war establishment (which we can only hope has been swept away to a great extent) were not putting forward the best kit available due to political/financial reasons.

I say I hope that it's being swept away, but I was reading an article earlier today on the US treatment of testing of Dragon Skin combat armour that makes me wonder if we have moved forward at all.
Cats! I'm being nibbled to death by cats.

My Photobucket: http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l69/Alexb83/
Hiromoon
Chief Mongoose

Postby Hiromoon » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:27 pm

Some would say yes, some would say no. It depends on your point of view. There's forces that want to do away with high price tag pieces of tech, favoring current models or less capable things. Others want to get rid of certain groups so the DoD will be quicker in adoption of new technology...
ImageImage
www.zupandevelopment.com
Lorcan Nagle
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Lorcan Nagle » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:04 pm

Should be getting my copy in about a half an hour...
rvrratt
Banded Mongoose

Postby rvrratt » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:22 pm

Lucky you!

I am still waiting for the mailman everyday! DSFrank told me that my team and I are in the playtest credits which just made my day! That's a first to me and a big deal to an average Joe like myself! Now I will have to order extra copies!
US Army River Rat (Amphibious Assault) Veteran
tiepilot1138
Banded Mongoose

Postby tiepilot1138 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:11 am

I got my copy today and it looks very nice. I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of units to pick from (and my marines/army now have anti-tank capability!)

Now if I could only get my AAVP-7's in...
Jean-Charles
Shrew

Postby Jean-Charles » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:57 am

I need the pdf quick for make a second MEA army after my british, quickkkkkkkkk
SnowDog
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SnowDog » Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:48 pm

Aah, I got mine today from my FLGS. As I went to see Batman I have not had time to read it yet, but at least what I have seen so far seems good. I kind of like the fact that it is B&W instead of full colour.
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."
nezeray
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby nezeray » Mon Aug 04, 2008 12:05 am

I got my copy, now I can read it cover to cover and be ready for Gencon Indy.

Also looking to see if there's an errata for it yet. I think I found a misprint. :)

James / Nezeray
Mongoose Infantry Demo Team - Kentucky

Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:32 am

lol missprint.. all i say is rub your chin and ponder at the technical !!!! why is a gun with (fxf) missprint more exspensive than the same gun with 360 !!!!!!

still wish bulldogs where in the brit list :( along with the panthers and especialy the vikings :)
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
dsfrankevo
Mongoose

Postby dsfrankevo » Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 pm

Mr Evil wrote:lol missprint.. all i say is rub your chin and ponder at the technical !!!! why is a gun with (fxf) missprint more exspensive than the same gun with 360 !!!!!!
The same reason that the Tiger I is faster than the Sherman in WaW

&

The T-72 is more expensive than the more capable Zulfqar :?

Editing on the whole has never been the gaming indursty's strongest skill set

I bet the next set of rules each of us buys will have some errata as well - its like fries with your 'happy meal' you get it weather you want it or not
"You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity. Farewell!"
Buzz Lightyear

MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:07 pm

Mr Evil wrote:lol missprint.. all i say is rub your chin and ponder at the technical !!!! why is a gun with (fxf) missprint more exspensive than the same gun with 360 !!!!!!
Not a misprint - if you add a second MG to a Technical, the two weapons become greater than the sum of their parts (a Technical with 2 MGs is quite a fearsome - if fragile - beast). We took the assumption that the first one added would always be the turret arc.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Mr Evil
Chief Mongoose

Postby Mr Evil » Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:30 pm

msprange wrote:
Not a misprint - if you add a second MG to a Technical, the two weapons become greater than the sum of their parts (a Technical with 2 MGs is quite a fearsome - if fragile - beast). We took the assumption that the first one added would always be the turret arc.
hmmmm so you pay less for 360 arc of fire... by the way the missprint is the fxf.... there is no such trait in the new rules :)

what if my conversion had a forward only MG then id be forced to pay more points for it.. seems a tad unfair..... it should of been done the other way around,,,, that way to save points peopel could reduce the arc of fire and effect of thier technicals....
<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/cygnarsghost.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>

http://splargoth.blogspot.com/
127th Angry Angels
Banded Mongoose

Postby 127th Angry Angels » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:13 am

Mr Evil wrote:
msprange wrote:

what if my conversion had a forward only MG then id be forced to pay more points for it.. seems a tad unfair..... it should of been done the other way around,,,, that way to save points peopel could reduce the arc of fire and effect of thier technicals....
Not really the rules fault what you've converted. Besides, as long as you inform your opponent and have paid the points it's irrelivant. I'd have no problem with this if you could show it on your list even at tourny.

I like to think that people have a common sense approach to this. Also, does mongoose even have WYSIWYG rulings in their books?
Check out Diamortis for your melodic death metal needs :)

http://www.myspace.com/diamortis