[SST] Lizard Lines

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
Paladin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

[SST] Lizard Lines

Postby Paladin » Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:30 pm

Do you ever use them?

It's primarily limited by our terrain but I don't think we've used them in our games...ever.
Goldwyrm
Banded Mongoose

Postby Goldwyrm » Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:31 pm

We used them in games with the following type of terrain:

Paladin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Paladin » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:52 pm

Goldwyrm wrote:We used them in games with the following type of terrain:
Why? It looks short enough to just jump to me.
Rabidchild
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rabidchild » Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:21 pm

Never used them in the old or the new.
Goldwyrm
Banded Mongoose

Postby Goldwyrm » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:39 am

Paladin wrote:
Goldwyrm wrote:We used them in games with the following type of terrain:
Why? It looks short enough to just jump to me.
Two reasons.

First- Lizard lines give the climb attribute which reduces damage from falls that result from flinching. The size 4 plateau terrain being fought across would result in a 4" fall. That's d10 damage for models without climb and d6 for models with the lizard lines.

Second- We gave the LAMI and SICON Agents lizard lines as part of the scenario, since they did not have jump packs like PAMI and it made sense.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Fri Jun 20, 2008 9:48 am

Goldwyrm wrote:
Two reasons.

First- Lizard lines give the climb attribute which reduces damage from falls that result from flinching. The size 4 plateau terrain being fought across would result in a 4" fall. That's d10 damage for models without climb and d6 for models with the lizard lines.

Second- We gave the LAMI and SICON Agents lizard lines as part of the scenario, since they did not have jump packs like PAMI and it made sense.
1. The Jump trait does this too :)

2. I would be tempted to make the LAMI walk - after all, who is going to trust them with anything so complicated as a lizard line? They might end up eating it!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Goldwyrm
Banded Mongoose

Postby Goldwyrm » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:02 pm

msprange wrote:1. The Jump trait does this too :)
Ok, good to know. I didn't recall seeing jump mentioned in the falling rules (1stEd.), but then again I don't have the rules in front of me.
msprange wrote:2. I would be tempted to make the LAMI walk - after all, who is going to trust them with anything so complicated as a lizard line? They might end up eating it!
Lizard lines complicated? LAMI do get access to Nukes.. :wink:

If the entire board wasn't difficult terrain and we were dealing with all experienced players, then we may have let the LAMI suffer with having to stay down in the trenches. There still were other units hampered by the terrain, notably the homemade ATV recon unit with the wheels trait which could only navigate the narrow canyons.
Paladin
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby Paladin » Sat Jun 21, 2008 5:29 am

Lizard Lines allow you to climb 6", but you can jump 6" vertically. Why bother with Lizard Lines if you can shoot while jumping. If they were Climb/12" they might be used.

However, I just checked the WOTS again and looks like they have been removed so it's all kind of a moot point now.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:02 pm

Paladin wrote:Lizard Lines allow you to climb 6", but you can jump 6" vertically. Why bother with Lizard Lines if you can shoot while jumping.
Because with a jump, you have to clear 6" in one go, which gives you a maximum height that can be scaled - with a Lizard Line, you can keep climbing every turn.

That said, Lizard Lines are so rarely used, I would be tempted to remove them altogether - they are a needless complication outside special scenarios.
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:07 pm

Goldwyrm wrote:
Lizard lines complicated? LAMI do get access to Nukes.. :wink:
And that was probably a bad move on the part of SICON :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
Goldwyrm
Banded Mongoose

Postby Goldwyrm » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:52 am

msprange wrote:Because with a jump, you have to clear 6" in one go, which gives you a maximum height that can be scaled - with a Lizard Line, you can keep climbing every turn.
Jumping into reaction range also gives the enemy a +1 to the damage roll which I do not believe is the case when climbing or otherwise moving into reaction range.

Even if they were identical to a jump pack, I'd still like lizard lines for the extra game flavor and because they featured in the the Roughneck Chronicles.
Galatea
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Galatea » Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:47 pm

The problem is that you have to ready everytime before you can climb and that makes them impracticable. Most units will be gunned down before they even started climbing.
If you could walk down walls with your normal movement speed they would be used more often.
Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me.