[WaW] Artillery Question and thoughts of our first game.

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
rvrratt
Banded Mongoose

[WaW] Artillery Question and thoughts of our first game.

Postby rvrratt » Sun May 25, 2008 2:41 pm

First off Greg and I played our first game yesterday and had a blast.....literally! Both of us being vets of Battlefield Evolution and playtesting the upcomming Modern Combat we understood the rules pretty fast and really just had to get to know the Advanced Rules and our respective units. Like its predessors before, the game flowed smoothly. In my opinion, the game is an improvement......a refinement if you will of the past rules of Battlefield Evolution and Starship Troopers.

There were a few things that we didn't like, and we promptly made a house rule for them. Making house rules for game systems happends to almost every system we play so its not a knock at all, just a game preference to our style of play. They are also small adjustments where the main rules aren't effected. For example, we thought that snipers should be able to pick their targets instead of having to take the closest model. House rule! :wink:

Ok, on to my question for Artillery. You know, sometimes a rule is so simple we screw it up even more! :lol: Ok, here is what happend. I, the US Mechanized Company Commander decided "Jerry" ie the Germans ie Greg and Bob (Greg's son) need some mortar love! I place my impact point then Greg rolls his D10. Greg rolls a 2 and I am dancing with joy knowing the impact point will only move 2"! Woot! Then, I roll my D10 and roll an 8! Crap! Ok....this is where we get lost. Now, I have to move it back toward the impact point so I move it 2" to the impact point....then 6" directly past it at the same angle. Did we do this right or do I just move it back to the impact point and discard the remaining 6"?

Another Artillery question. When calling "off board artillery" the LT calling it in must have LOS to the impact point. "On board artillery", like a mortar, does not have to have LOS to the place of impact. This is the way we read the rules....is this correct?

Thanks!

Great Job Agis and Mongoose on a great set of rules!
US Army River Rat (Amphibious Assault) Veteran
Sgt. Scream
Stoat

Postby Sgt. Scream » Sun May 25, 2008 2:58 pm

Your opponent may move your artillery one D10 in whatever direction he wants. After you have rolled your D10, it must be moved back towards the initial aiming point. If you've rolled a higher dice than your opponent I'd say you move over the initial aiming point going further on with the same angle and see where it will final impact. Its not very accurate Agis said about supporting artillery in the book, didn't he?

But of course that's Matt and Agis job to make a final descision. :wink:

You are all correct on the way you've interpreted the difference between on- and offboard artillery.
Scream's 20mm modern military wargaming blog....
http://smallscaleoperations.blogspot.com/
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Sun May 25, 2008 3:33 pm

Sgt. Scream wrote:Your opponent may move your artillery one D10 in whatever direction he wants. After you have rolled your D10, it must be moved back towards the initial aiming point. If you've rolled a higher dice than your opponent I'd say you move over the initial aiming point going further on with the same angle and see where it will final impact. Its not very accurate Agis said about supporting artillery in the book, didn't he?

But of course that's Matt and Agis job to make a final descision. :wink:

You are all correct on the way you've interpreted the difference between on- and offboard artillery.
Do it by the book; quote from Page XX:
"The opposing player rolls one D10 and moves the Impact
Point this many inches in any direction. That attacking
player then rolls another D10 and moves the Impact
Point this many inches directly back towards its original
position. "

Just as the good Sgt said... :wink:
Last edited by Agis on Sun May 25, 2008 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
rvrratt
Banded Mongoose

Postby rvrratt » Sun May 25, 2008 3:35 pm

Thanks Agis! Sometimes you "over read" the rule!

:D
Agis
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Agis » Sun May 25, 2008 3:36 pm

rvrratt wrote:Thanks Agis! Sometimes you "over read" the rule!

:D
LOL! :D
cheers and keep on gaming, Agis
www.adpublishing.de Author of Battlefield Evolution: World at War and Pacific War
rvrratt
Banded Mongoose

Postby rvrratt » Sun May 25, 2008 3:38 pm

Oh, and thanks Scream! You da man bro!
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Sun May 25, 2008 5:13 pm

And just to add, no, the LT does not need LOS for 'on-board' artillery!
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
http://www.mongoosepublishing.com
Prophet

Postby Prophet » Sun May 25, 2008 5:17 pm

Is that an official ruling? The reason I ask is that at Gencon last year a similar thing happened, and the attacker didnt have to move the total distance only to where the initial point was. Just asking for clarification.
Rabidchild
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rabidchild » Mon May 26, 2008 9:34 pm

msprange wrote:And just to add, no, the LT does not need LOS for 'on-board' artillery!
Supporting Artillery:
"This is used as an Artillery attack, but the initial Impact Point must be in the unit's Line of Sight."

I'm confused.
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Mon May 26, 2008 9:39 pm

Rabidchild wrote:
msprange wrote:And just to add, no, the LT does not need LOS for 'on-board' artillery!
Supporting Artillery:
"This is used as an Artillery attack, but the initial Impact Point must be in the unit's Line of Sight."

I'm confused.
That is for the supporting artillery, not mortars (two different units!).
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
Rabidchild
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Rabidchild » Mon May 26, 2008 10:03 pm

Roger that, I miss-read the question about "on-board" arty. Thanks!
Prophet

Postby Prophet » Tue May 27, 2008 1:18 am

So if I am calling in an arty strike, and my opponent rolls a 4 and I roll a 6 do I have to go the 2 extra inches or can I stop it at 4 to get back to the original target point?
boomgoose
Mongoose

Postby boomgoose » Tue May 27, 2008 1:44 am

Prophet wrote:So if I am calling in an arty strike, and my opponent rolls a 4 and I roll a 6 do I have to go the 2 extra inches or can I stop it at 4 to get back to the original target point?
Sorry Proph, you gotta move the 2 extra inches past your impact point. Rotten artie shooters.
Shadow4ce
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby Shadow4ce » Tue May 27, 2008 8:55 am

boomgoose wrote:
Prophet wrote:So if I am calling in an arty strike, and my opponent rolls a 4 and I roll a 6 do I have to go the 2 extra inches or can I stop it at 4 to get back to the original target point?
Sorry Proph, you gotta move the 2 extra inches past your impact point. Rotten artie shooters.
Yep, Artillery is just one more thing in life you don't want to have fall short. Unless of course you are completely surrounded and called it in on yourself. :shock:
- Shadow4ce
I have seen death, and she is afraid! Image
Foxmeister
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Foxmeister » Tue May 27, 2008 9:49 am

For my gaming groups experience, the lack of a LOS requirement for on-board artillery causes significant issues as it is making artillery too powerful for its cost. In addition, the rules for impact point deviation mean that artillery is almost invariably best placed at the very board edge since if it deviates off-table on the first roll, it never gets a chance to be brought back on-table again on the second roll. This make counter-battery fire far too difficult IMHO.

Regards,

Dave
soulman
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby soulman » Tue May 27, 2008 7:33 pm

Woops i thought when you moved it back you could as the attacker move it upto the distance, now i have been told if its over you have to go over..!!
"Woops "

BUT..

I guess with some new weapons for modern, like Gps and Lasers etc, you can as the attacker chose to move the distance UPTO your max..?

Cheers
DM
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby DM » Tue May 27, 2008 7:39 pm

To some extent, but GPS, laser guidance and other PGM techniques aren't necessarily the "auto hit" wonders that many people think they are. They are good, but by no means perfect.
DM's naval website, now moved to the NWS site
http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/nav ... links.html
Co-author "Order of Battle"
Author, "Age of Dreadnoughts"
Bloke who paints VAS ships for Matt
Bacon Number of 4 :D
MongooseMatt
Site Admin

Postby MongooseMatt » Tue May 27, 2008 8:52 pm

DM wrote:To some extent, but GPS, laser guidance and other PGM techniques aren't necessarily the "auto hit" wonders that many people think they are. They are good, but by no means perfect.
QFT :)
Matthew Sprange

Mongoose Publishing
JayRaider
Duck-Billed Mongoose

Postby JayRaider » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:33 am

Supporting Artillery: what damage dice for hits? (can't seem to find it in the book, but its late and i'm probably just not seeing it).
Thanks.
hithero
Banded Mongoose

Postby hithero » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:48 am

It's in each of units the weapons list.