Halo: Combat Evolved

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
ianvancheese
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Halo: Combat Evolved

Postby ianvancheese » Sat Apr 19, 2008 11:40 pm

This is the best place on these forums to put this i suppose. I have been developing a Halo miniatures game using an altered version of the SST Version 1 rules and its actually going pretty damn well. What i'm looking for is people to volunteer to playtest for me, to ensure the values etc arent overpowered. I cant post the whole thing on here but when i have an alpha version done i will email them to anyone interested.
Yesterday mail, for when you need it there before you send it - Foamy the Squirrel
tiepilot1138
Banded Mongoose

Postby tiepilot1138 » Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:05 pm

I don't mind taking a look at them. I've got piles of halo-clix sitting around collecting dust.
ianvancheese
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ianvancheese » Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:42 am

cool, thats what i plan on using for most of the models, ive got the banshee on order, i'll holler at you when i have a first version of them ready
Yesterday mail, for when you need it there before you send it - Foamy the Squirrel
deniper
Weasel

Postby deniper » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:18 pm

weirdly enough have been working on that myself
mainly getting models together and such but thinking on how to handle some things... :D
maybe we can compaire notes ... but sure ill help with the project...
heres some pics of some of the work i have done for this project...
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150 ... CN1015.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150 ... CN1013.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150 ... CN1004.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150 ... CN1009.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w150 ... CN1012.jpg

i am already planing on how to get the bunches of bases to rebase my champain models. :shock:

the feeling i had was that the Master Chief was an nearly god like character but not at all unbeatable. (just really lucky)

the game should be playable with out any spartans but would lean an bit to covanant victory (at least untill the elite rebellion)
so there would be unsc list, covanent list, unsc/elite, list and brute covenant list, as well as flood,(eek) and Guardians listings ya drones and more drones....oh oh the sentinals...

just some of my thoughts.... :P
soulman
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby soulman » Tue Apr 22, 2008 7:57 pm

I also started on a Halo mod, a long time ago myself..!!! small world, but now with the Changes with WAW, things are looking good...

Love to see you work soon
ianvancheese
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ianvancheese » Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:50 pm

where'd u get those ghosts, or are they scratch built. ive just ordered the action clix banshee. erm at the moment the game is geared more towards the covenant, especially with a wraith. but spartans are pretty nails hard and can lay some hurt down on the covenant.

ill email them to anyone that gives me their address within a few days, im working out some balance issues with some units, trying to make units a little more durable without ruining the game mechanics

Edit: i havent seen any of these new rules, im working off SST version 1

Edit Edit: These are the units i have the rules worked out for:
UNSC: Marines, Engineer Teams, Warthog, Pelican, Scorpion, Spartans, Hornet, ODSTs, MAC Strikes :shock: lol they are for big games only, trust me

Covenant: Grunts, Brutes, Ghosts, Banshee, Elites, Jackals, Wraith, Phantom, Hunters.

Ive started on the flood but i see them more as a mission specific factor rather than a full faction. we'll see for them

Lol EDIT EDIT EDIT: My actionclix banshee just came, will need a repaint but i love it
tiepilot1138
Banded Mongoose

Postby tiepilot1138 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:40 pm

those ghosts look like the mcfarlane ones you can get at toysrus...
ianvancheese
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ianvancheese » Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:41 pm

cool, my only problem is they look a little bit out of scale with the the action clix models
shotgun-toting chipmunk
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby shotgun-toting chipmunk » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:30 pm

They look a lot better than I thought they would. I may have to see about ordering some. Yes, I too have been eyeing this type of project. Using the BFE rules, however.

I guess I'm gonna have to take pics of my pelican now, huh? :)
www.zupandevelopment.com
-------------------------------------------------------
"Lord I pray for the eyes of an eagle, the heart of a lion, and the balls of a combat helicopter pilot." -Fighter Pilot's Prayer
ianvancheese
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ianvancheese » Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:31 pm

:shock: you have a pelican................the only one i found is a paper craft one that im gonna make with card
ianvancheese
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ianvancheese » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:48 pm

ok a tentative UNSC list is done, and the covenant is pretty far through, with a few units missing but ill send it anyway, along with weapons stats and alterations to the rules set

send me ur email and ill send it to u 2moro wen i come bk online
tiepilot1138
Banded Mongoose

Postby tiepilot1138 » Wed Apr 23, 2008 7:53 pm

pm sent
deniper
Weasel

Postby deniper » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:42 pm

as far as scaleing goes... there are discrepancys thruout the haloclix line and so i am not going to start really nit picking at it too much...

for example in the mcfarlane ghost the mastercheif looks an little small
but the elite is an little big.

looking at it closely in halo 2 (halo 3 maybe differnt) the ghost is about 75-80% the lenght of an warthog. which matches pretty closely with what i have infront of me. so i can only assume that the elite is slightly oversize or the mastercheif is slightly small.

overall on the table they look good and thats what counts. :lol:

also these figs definately fall into scale creep lots they are huge... :shock:

for converting ghost rideing elites i recomend the major elite (you rarely see minor elites in ghost anyway) hes posed to where the change is minimal.

my slingshot gunboat was based more on an pelican than the slingshot and so untill i make something better? its gonna see service as an pelican. :D
ianvancheese
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ianvancheese » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:39 am

ok u 2 should have the rules, if ive left any gaping holes where i've known what i meant but not actually typed it out then tell me, but mostly i need to know about balance and fun
ianvancheese
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ianvancheese » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:52 pm

ok its time for my list of models out there for you people:
http://www.planetstarfreak.de/modeling.php?id=peli pelican dropship for you, if you dont mind making it out of paper/card lol

http://www.em4miniatures.com/acatalog/TROOPERS.html some great models for using as marines

http://nikon.bungie.org/misc/pillar_of_autumn/hq.html ideas for conversions, saw this a while ago, very cool
obviously theres action clix and the mcfarlen figures to, though i dont like the ghost for scale issues the chopper is perfect
deniper
Weasel

Postby deniper » Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:02 pm

ok i am thinking of scratchbuilding an scorpion tank and am wondering if anybody has seen any decent 3-view drawings of it I would like to get the porportions right from the start...

that being said I can draw it out myself I simply would rather not...

even an paper model of an scorpion would be more helpfull than nothing..

as I start I will post an compleate walk thru on how I did each step and what parts I used as well as any diagrams I made for the build. that way peoples can make their own too. :) (and probebly improve on my effort.)

this is not my first go at scratch building so i think it will look good. :wink:
ianvancheese
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ianvancheese » Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:00 am

em search in google for halo pedia, that may be of some help, othe than that look out for computer graphics models of it. sorry im of no help on this one
Chrisy_m_uk
Weasel

Postby Chrisy_m_uk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:59 am

Okay been having a look at the Covenant units list so far and a few things immediately spring off the page:

Grunts -

Grunts should have the option of being led by Brute or Elite minors - grunts are often seen being led by them in the game and have a tendancy to flee if not!
Fuel rod gun grunts should be pretty uncommon - they are rarely encountered in the game at normal difficulty levels and when they are there's a pretty good reason for it.
Might also want to include the option for popping grunts in turrets (Shades?) and Ghosts (especially after the civil war).

Jackals -

Two points about Jackals, firstly there should be an option for Jackal snipers (which often operate singly or in pairs). You might also want to think about including some sort of animosity between them and the grunts as fluff wise there's a long history of dislike between them which manifests when they are by themselves.

Brutes -

Generally I like what you've done with the Brutes. The only exceptions are that the Gravity Hammer should be restricted to Brute Chieftains - the prospect of an entire squad of gravity hammer armed brutes is both terrifying and ridiculous. You might also want to think about expanding the maximum squad size - I'd be interested to know why you limited it to 5.
edit: Brutes need to have the option to use Plasma Rifles - at the outset of the Covenant Civil war they used Red Brute Plasma Rifles (hit harder than normal ones but overheated easier) however by the events of Halo 3 they where now using regular (albeit brute sized) Plasma Rifles. Brutes might also need the inclusion of the ability to use Jump Packs which was an important addition around Halo 3

The Rest -

Generally looking good you might want to include the Prophets (as there is a model available) and their elite guards as well as the Brute Chopper. Actually that raises a good point - what period of time do the rules cover or are they intended to allow you to recreate any of the types of fight seen in the game.
edit: You might also want to think about the inclusion of Drones in the Covenant list and if your feeling ambitious Huragok (engineers). You might also ponder the use of Elite Rangers (the elites with Jet Packs) and Elite Zealots

Will have to speak nicely with my G/F now and see if she fancies helping doing some playtesting as I'd be keen to get a game on![/i]
Chrisy_m_uk
Weasel

Postby Chrisy_m_uk » Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:39 am

And on to the UNSC side...

Generally I'm a lot happier with the UNSC but there are a few omissions to your list: Both ODST troops and regular grunts should have the option to be equipped with SMGs and pistols. Not only would this reflect the position seen in the games (which ultimately need to be the starting point for source material) but would also then reflect the availability of models from the Halo Clix range which is no doubt going to be the place to get the minis for the game.

Why no regular spartans? I understand that at the point of the games the only known active spartan was John-117 but if we where to include regular spartans into the game it would allow people to use their extensive collections of red and blue spartans - although you'd probably want to charge a lot of points for them!

A final thought - maybe a note about including covenant elites in the UNSC army as allies? This could allow players to reflect the position on the ground post Halo 2.

Look forwards to hearing your thoughts.
ianvancheese
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby ianvancheese » Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:49 pm

ok ill try to do every point seperate:
firstly fuel rod cannon grunts are basically the anti tank weapon, and they are limited to one per squad so that seems fair.

I will put an option for grunt squad being led by elites/brutes, i havent worked out how im gonna do their command system yet so i didnt give them leaders at all till i sort summat

next, they have the option to upgrade to snipers, but in a full scale war i'd see them in bigger squads than 2, i may reduce the minimum size to 2 for fluffy armies.

i only reduced the maximum squad size to 5 for brutes because i dont remember ever seeing more than 5 at once, and to fit in with the prowler when i make its rules, as in the game it can only hold 3, but ive stretched it to 5 because of what ive read in books.

yeah the gravity hammer thing will be sorted, i was just trying it out as i didnt think 1 would be enough lol, itll be changed

all units that are missing will be included eventually dont worry, i just nhavent got round to it yet

and now onto the UNSC:

i didnt include those weapons as they'd serve no viable difference in game other than having crap range. if you want just use the smg as a morita carbine.

??? spartans are in the list lol, theyre after the warthog

the elites thing will be a sub rule later on, as will animosity between brutes/elites and grunts/jackals

hope that helps, and thanx for your suggestions, some will definately find their way in :)

edit: ooooo its designed to allow fights from any time period in halo, even what if scenarios