Mongoose Hall 08 Tournament - Deep Space

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
noobdelux
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby noobdelux » Sun May 11, 2008 11:51 am

so how did it go?
lastbesthope
Executive Mongoose

Postby lastbesthope » Sun May 11, 2008 6:55 pm

I didn't play, as I recall there were:

Multiple Centauri players (At least 3)
1 Drakh
1 ISA
1 Dilgar
1 EA
1 Gaim

Since there were 8 players, maybe there were only 3 Centauri.

LBH
I'll live forever, heaven won't let me in and hell's afraid I'll take over!!!

Mongoose Accolades
Jim?
Mongoose

Postby Jim? » Sun May 11, 2008 11:18 pm

I had a lot of fun today... the scenarios were extremely unusual, and had far more of a mixed Roleplay/Exploration theme to them than strategic wargame play.

They weren't completely fair for some fleets, and it was hard to outright win any of them (results were split into Poor/Average/Good/Outstanding depending upon various conditions) but I felt that added to the fun nature of the games, and the whole thing felt much less like a competetive grind than most of the Mongoose Tourneys I've attended, so two thumbs up from me!

The fleets were:-

Liati+Demos (2 of these)
Liati+Corvan
Tikrit+Oclavita Ki
Omega+Assault Hyperion
Gaim Battle Level Queen+Gunship
Drakh Carrier+2 Heavy Raiders+3 Light Raiders
Whitestar Gunship+Liandra (me)

I'm incredibly proud to have managed to get the Liandra killed in 3 of the four games I played today (Die, Legend of the Rangers reminder... Die!) and had a lot of fun in every game I played.

I played against Richard's re-statted Gaim for the first time today, and although the game was short I have to say they were a lot more fun to play against than their original list. The Liandra eventually had all of it's crew killed, and was also captured by them, which was nice ;-)

Average performance each.

Second game was aginst Paddy's Dilgar, and if the mission objective was combat based rather than recovery of data probes, I think they would have been in for a bit of a torrid time. The Liandra survived this one unscathed :-(

As it stood, we both achieved a good result at the end of the round.

Third game was against Ben's Liati/Demos combo, and I had the dice on my side, winning initiative in every round. The mission involved our Battle Level ships' systems being overloaded by a beam attack from a nearby planet, so that a 5+ was required to fire each weapon system or to launch fighters. Our Skirmish ships acted normally.

Eventually managed to destroy both of Ben's ships due to some lucky dice (Managed to fire my Whitestar Gunship's beam every turn, and only lost initiative once) and remembered how *nasty* Whitestar fighters can be (2 pretty much de-crewed the Liati by themselves due to some good crits...)

Result:- Both Average (got the Liandra killed again before properly reading the victory conditions... still, at least it died :-D)

Last game was against the other Liati/Demos combo fleet (Sorry! Managed to forget your name... @_@) and things went pretty badly for the ISA, with the Liandra killed early (YES!!!) and the Whitestar Gunship decrewed and boarded by the end of the game...

Result:- Me (Poor) Centauri Master:- (Outstanding)

Overall, it was a fun day and I had a great time. Cheers to everyone who I played, and hope to see you all at the next event!
Triggy
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Triggy » Sun May 11, 2008 11:40 pm

Sorry I couldn't make this day - it sounded like a lot of fun but I had a lot of university work to get done for Monday (I'm still finishing it now!)

I'd have take a Xonn and a Vaarl (Stealth to keep it alive and Scout for either Minbari ships or redirecting fire).

What missions were played? It sounded like a laugh not having standard victory conditions.

I'm surprised nobody took Minbari as with only few ships on the table they sounded like the ideal fleet. Another good fleet would have been a Psi Corps Hunter/Carrier combo with the Carrier normally hiding. Generally it looks like a good mix of fleets though and good fun.
"Sir, the enemy have us completely surrounded."
"Excellent, then we can attack in any direction!"

ACtA Playtester

Triggy's Fantasy Formula 1
Swiss Tony
Weasel

Postby Swiss Tony » Mon May 12, 2008 7:02 am

Shame there were so many drop outs as I paid £35 to travel there and £5 entry only to be told by Matt that someone had to drop out and I lost the dice off so didn't get to play. This is the first time I've ever attended a tournament and been told I couldn't play, normally one player each round gets a by. As it was a waste of £40 and not even an offer of my £5 entry fee back. All in all a bit disapointing.
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Mon May 12, 2008 7:48 am

GW always have a staff member with an army on standby to cover this kind of thing.

8 players is a bit naff for an official event, especially when you consider that the unofficial Sentient Rabbit thing the week before got 18.

Swindon is too awkward by public transport for me. I did an event at Mongoose Tower by train. Just too far from the station to be practical. Is Croft closer to the Station?
Poi

Honk if Pluto is a planet
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Mon May 12, 2008 8:53 am

Fun was had, but to be honest, pretty much all of the scenarios sucked. They might make good scenarios for a campaign or for bigger fleets, but for a tournament with only 1 skirmish and 1 battle ship, they just didn't work.

First game: only skirmish ship is deployed. Battle ship arrives as reinforcements on turn 5. So I had 1 light raider, against a Demos. 2 very manouverable ships with only F weapons, the winner is of course going to be decided by initiative. I lost the first, couldn't hide behind the asteroid field sufficiently, and got banged up a bit by the Demos. Turn 2 I lost again, I was going to die unless I hid in the asteroids and stealth saved me. Unfortunately I hit a rather large rock and was down to 1 damage point. Whats more the Demos passed its stealth roll and blatted me. I didn't get to fire a shot in the game.

Second game: drone recovery. Players have 3 "drones" each, and take it in turns to place them on the table. They must be 12" from the table edges, and 6" from each other. Then you have to collect them, by performing "recover drone" special action by passing within 1"; when you perform this SA, no traits work at all for that turn. Well naturally we each placed 3 drones right in front of our deployment zones. I took a risk, senting the light raider zooming up the board to try to grab one of Mike's drones, while the carrie deployed a heavy raider to collect my 3. I succeeded, and just about managed to avoid being blown up (though technically the scenario ended when the last drone was picked up, so I was never really in any danger). We realized afterwards that we could have placed our dones in such a way to make it impossible for an opponent to steal one (one 12" from the edge, to be collected by the Battle ship; one 12" in front of the skirmish and another 6" in front of that, to be collected turn 2). So if we'd though about it we could have just got 3 each easily. An "outstanding" victory meant collecting 5, which was basically impossible unless your opponent is totally stupid. The fourth one I collected basically meant nothing because it was a "good" victory, the same as collecting 3, all I did was deny Mike a "good". We fought to the death for our own amusement although the results were already decided.

Third game, the Battle ship is deployed on opposite sides of the planet, near the centre of the board. Skismish ship is deployed rightin the far corner. The Battle ship has been damaged by an alien presence and has unrepairble power fluctuations. Each weapon can only fire on 5+ and fighters can only launch on 5+. Skirmish ship is unaffected. So basically yet again, the game is decided by just a few dice rolls. I was facing Richard's Gaim. I successfully performed Scramble Scramble but failed to fire or launch any raiders in turn 1. Turn 2, I managed to launch 1 Light Raider despite another successful scramble scramble. So by now I was being blatted by suicide fighters and e-mines, although they were doing minimal damage to me (go dodge+GEG!). The power fluctuations made it a very uninteresting battle. Richard boarded a LR with 3 pods and wiped out the crew. My raiders managed to kill his gunship. So everything else was immaterial; the victory conditions meant that even if you lost one ship, you couldn't get any better than "average". Yes, even if I had totally wiped out his fleet, my losing one light raide meant I couldn't get "good" or "outstanding". So we were both destined to got adequate, and stopped playing.

Fourth game, extremely unfair victory conditions. To succeed, you had to perform a boarding action with your Skirmish ship against the enemy Battle ship, and kill all of the on-board troops. I'm quite glad I didn't face the Gaim for this one. There were so many things that had to work just right to win this one. First you had to keep your skirmish ship alive. Second you had to make your opponent go at half speed or below. Third you had to get your skirmish ship within 4". Fourth you have to win the boarding action. So it is very very hard to succeed. I was facing Murray's Centauri, a Liati and just for a change a Corvan. He had 1 troops on each of his ships and my carrier has 3, so he was pretty much resigned to not winning. Even if he got both his troops on board, I would still outnumber him, and be rolling first in the troop fight. I didn't have much of a hope eithe, since Liatis can swat raiders quite nicely. I kept my skirmish choice raider as an initiative sink, and to keep the commando unit safe. Then piled in with the carrier and raides, using a planet slingshot to get all 4 in the Liati's rear arc. My beam rolls were typical of the day, and the Liati captain thought "is there a breeze in here?". My carrier was crippled and boarded, but as predicted his 1 troop was no match for my 3. The Liati thought he might as well blow up the carrier, so did an All Stop - my chance! I boarded with 2 heavy raiders (not the commando unit but if I could kill the crew off I could board with the commando easily). Unfortunately my squadron discovered the beam weapons were set in "laser light show" mode instead of "hurt someone" mode. My heavy raiders blew up horribly to the Liati's fire. So, it was pretty obvious I wasn't going to be able to board him either. Resigned to a "poor" as well, I just shot at him for some amusement. But time was called before the game could end.

In short, good fun but very bad scenarios. They might work for a larger fleet, but for a tournament with such small fleets, it was basically paper/scissors/stone. Mike's boresighted EA hardly got to fire at all. Drazi would have been totally screwed (as predicted but denied by Matt on page 1 of this thread). There were no tactics or strategies that could have helped me in any of my games. And I would have been sooo anrgy if I had lost the dice-off at the start for who doesn't ge to play! I drove over an hour to get there, on a nice sunny weekend, if I were told to go home then there would have been a serious sh*tstorm!

"Best sneaky move" goes to Jim? for reasons best kept private :lol:
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

mikelosaurus
Mongoose

Postby mikelosaurus » Mon May 12, 2008 10:17 am

Ditto pretty much everything Burger said. It was a laugh but the scenarios were really exercises in randomness/futility given the few ships involved, and the limited time allocated to each round.

I didn't expect to do well anyway given my n00b status and my limited ship choices, but the I did get the fire bore beams a lot in every game except the one against Burger's Drakh where I was outnumbered whether or not I won intiative. The bigger problem for me was not being able to roll for toffee - no great beam hits and hardly any crits - my dice were quite rubbish frankly. :roll:

I was quite surprised about the organisation and I too would certainly have kicked up a fuss if I'd lost the dice-off at the start having paid ~£20 to get there and £5 to get in. Swiss Tonycertainly deserves a refund and/or some kind of compensation.
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Mon May 12, 2008 10:31 am

why in the bue hell was there a dice off for someone not to play?!

have to say all sounds pretty silly.
I AM RONIN!
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Postby Burger » Mon May 12, 2008 10:33 am

hiffano wrote:why in the bue hell was there a dice off for someone not to play?!
Only 9 people turned up. LBH was the stand-by player, but he decided he couldn't be bothered to join in. So there was an odd number of players.

A little more constructively, here is what would have improved the scenarios in my opinion.

Initial contact: battle ship arrives in turn 3. It wouldn't have saved me, but I would have felt I actually stood a chance of surviving long enough.

Drone recovery: drones should be placed in central, neutral locations or in fixed starting positions. Allowing us to place them meant we could easily place 3 in front of our own ships, and collect them in 2 turns. Collecting 4 should have been an "outstanding".

Planet orbiting thing: lose the 5+ to fire or launch. Other than that, it was quite a good situation/setup. And change the victory conditions: outstanding should be wiping out the enemy without taking a loss, good should be (wiping out the enemy) or (killing one enemy without taking a loss), adequate should be killing one enemy.

Boarding thing, nothing can save this one, just scrap it and play annihilation instead.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Mon May 12, 2008 10:36 am

then i feel very sorry for the chap who didn't get to play. 8 people for an official tourney? oh dear, not too promising is it :-(
I AM RONIN!
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Mon May 12, 2008 10:41 am

It has to be said that if Mongoose can't drag people in for their own event, this game is well and truly dead.

Oh well, lots of ther games starting and/or expanding. 40k 5th edition and Monsterpocalypse are only just around the corner.

I feel the urge for a new Space Marine army, and Cthulhu for Monsterpocalypse.
Poi

H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Mon May 12, 2008 10:44 am

Poi wrote:It has to be said that if Mongoose can't drag people in for their own event, this game is well and truly dead.

Oh well, lots of ther games starting and/or expanding. 40k 5th edition and Monsterpocalypse are only just around the corner.

I feel the urge for a new Space Marine army, and Cthulhu for Monsterpocalypse.
not necesarily true, the turnout for the aldershot tourney was pretty solid, and the midlands tourney has a good list too. It may just show a lack of interest in a very limited fleet selection
I AM RONIN!
Poi
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Poi » Mon May 12, 2008 11:01 am

I hesitate to say it here for fear of deletioon, but the turnout is comparable with Mongoose's last open day at the Croft.

The weather won't have helped. I was sat in a garden all day Sunday eating meat and drinking fizzy pop. I'd forgoptten how nice ginger beer is. The closest I got to gaming was opening a box of 6mm Napoleonics I got in the post last week.
Poi

Digger
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Open (to criticism) Day

Postby Digger » Mon May 12, 2008 12:23 pm

Unfortunately I had to attend a family funeral, but from what I have just read, I probably had more fun! :evil:

I seems to me that the scenario's stank and little thought in their creation may have been involved - Is this an indication of the low priority of ACTA now? :cry:

I still love the game, but I am becoming more cynical the more I hear.

I would suggest that the next Mongoose tourney has the following:

1. A decent day - Sunday, come on! Last thing you want if you have to travel back late and have work the next day!

2. Some decent scenario's - Plenty of ships to play with!

3. Some decent prizes - At £5 a head to get a bit of paper - Yeah, Right! :roll:

Having recently attended the Aldershot Tourney, I would say Mongoose have quite a bit to learn. :wink:

That's how a good Tourney should be run!
Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges - Marcus Tullius Cicero, Circa 52BC
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Mon May 12, 2008 12:27 pm

I concur on the aldershot tourney, excelent fun, great people, needed more fans though ;-)
I want to see a comlete results list for that, I must have placed reasonably highly i think
I AM RONIN!
Jim?
Mongoose

Postby Jim? » Mon May 12, 2008 1:38 pm

hiffano wrote:I concur on the aldershot tourney, excelent fun, great people, needed more fans though ;-)
I'll bring along my cheerleading team of single, 18-24 year old girls with me next time, then. Might be a bit of a squeese to fit them into the tourney room, though...
KennyBoy
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby KennyBoy » Mon May 12, 2008 1:40 pm

Poi wrote:It has to be said that if Mongoose can't drag people in for their own event, this game is well and truly dead.
To be fair, myself and two other players had to cancel at very short notice, so that would have given us 12 - which is not a bad number, (though 16 would be a bit more respectable) and I think that the fact that it was a Sunday instead of Saturday did not help at all...

I will still be up for whatever tourney the guys at Mongoose put on next, and with the Sentient Rabbits making sure that we've always got something on the horizon, I think that, for the dedicated ACTA fans out there - you know who you are - the game will not go quiet into that good night 8)
"Crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women!"
H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Mon May 12, 2008 1:45 pm

Jim? wrote:
hiffano wrote:I concur on the aldershot tourney, excelent fun, great people, needed more fans though ;-)
I'll bring along my cheerleading team of single, 18-24 year old girls with me next time, then. Might be a bit of a squeese to fit them into the tourney room, though...
wedged intoa room with 18-24 year old girls? sod the game. ..
I AM RONIN!
Tank
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Tank » Mon May 12, 2008 1:47 pm

bringing cheerleaders would definately constitute a Health & Safety risk at a wargames tourney!!

It would be neither safe nor healthy for the cheerleaders :lol: