BFE with experience and multiple players

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
SnowDog
Greater Spotted Mongoose

BFE with experience and multiple players

Postby SnowDog » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:11 am

Hi,

With the advent of new edition of BFE on the horizon I have been playing with the idea of stealing some ideas from Charlie Company Vietnam era miniatures game.

1 ) One player will act as a GM handling the opposition pretty much like in roleplaying games.

2 ) Each squad/section leader in players' side is played by an individual player. In addition to player squad leaders there is a platoon leader that is also played by one player. The CO will probably has a squad (command squad) or tank under his direct command.

3 ) Before each round the CO has some time (maybe a minute or so) to command other players. Then squad leaders can pretty much do as they wish. If they choose to not obey the orders ... well that's up to CO what happens :)

4 ) Each squad has their normal stats like in standard BFE game but squad leader has in addition some sort of general ability (skill) that can be used to spot ambushes etc. For ease of game play this ability applies to the whole squad but maybe it will get reduced if the one fire team is working under assisting squad leader.

5 ) Squad leaders might be a bit harder to kill (instead they will get wounded) but their death is still a possibility only slightly less probable than that of average squaddie. This also is a nod toward game play and not intended to create a "hero" characters.

6 ) Killed squad members might not be replaced immediately and it is well possible that during the next game some of the squads are under strength. I suppose that it will still be possible to change machineguns and grenade launchers (or even AT weaponry) to survivors.

6a ) As I don't know if there will be any rules for wounded models in next version of BFE I might have to make up rules for managing wounded but not killed models. Wounded models will probably be returned to duty after one game without them.

6b ) Maybe this Target part can be used for getting wounded? Armor save should still be allowed.

7 ) After each game the survivors (PCs) get experience and might be able to raise their ability score.

8 ) As this is designed for campaign play each campaign should have a predefined number of combats after the characters are shipped home. Surviving this long is the ultimate goal of the characters.

The idea is still pretty much bullet points but what do you think of it so far?
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."
127th Angry Angels
Banded Mongoose

Postby 127th Angry Angels » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:33 am

I love this idea!

My group often plays games with occasional members turning up without an army and enlisting with another player. It's also how we bring in new players to a game.

It would be cool if there was a proper process for this. In one of the ancient games we play players need runners to communicate by notes. They can't discuss the orders without it Can make for some ammusing moments.

Definately worth doing
Check out Diamortis for your melodic death metal needs :)

http://www.myspace.com/diamortis
SnowDog
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby SnowDog » Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:59 am

Thanks for the encouragement! I will have to dig out my copy of Charlie Company to get more inspiration how to handle this.

Interesting thing in CC was (at least how one GM used to run it in conventions) that the player with least experience was put in the role of CO :twisted:

Runners would be an excellent idea especially in WaW where radios were quite scarce. I don't know if I would need those in Modern Combat as well but on the other hand even less technologically equipped insurgents can use cell phones so that might be a moot point in that game. I think that using runners has an effect of adding more chaos to the battlefield (a good thing) and that squad leaders have to fend for themselves uncoordinated until they get new orders (when/if) a runner will get to them :)
"This is my way to run games. There are many ways to run games but this is mine."
noobdelux
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby noobdelux » Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:02 pm

reminds me of a chapter in brothers in arms.. that co that ran across the battlefield lol