ACTA & Fleet Action?

Discuss Mongoose miniatures game here, including Mighty Armies, Gangs of Mega-City One, and Battlefield Evolution.
TalosX
Cub

ACTA & Fleet Action?

Postby TalosX » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:21 am

I was just curious if anyone has tried to splice these two games together. ACTA is built well, but IMHO they took the balancing to far. I understand why, they use FAP which isn't the same as a point based system. Lets be honest though, the B5 universe isn't balanced. A Sharlin Warcruiser could turn its stealth jammer off, and still kick the crap out of any EA, Centauri, or Narn ship with relative ease. A Warlock advanced destroyer wouldn't stand a chance against a Sharlin. I also prefer the actual weapon stats in Fleet Action.

Anyways I was considering splicing Fleet Action with ACTA to try and re-balance the system. Has anyone ever tried or considered this?
zurg
Shrew

Postby zurg » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:51 am

Hello TalosX
I was probably the last player in my small group to carry on with fleet action until recently.
This sounds like a good idea. I also prefer a proper points based system. This would have solved all the imbalance issues with ACTA. I also found the larger models impossible to manage once they get close to eachother. The splicing of both systems could be done, but it would have to be a lot simpler than FA and a lot quicker to play. Perhaps a d10 system. More critical hit classes could involve sensor arrays, reducing their chance to target etc as in FA. Also a hit from the front arc means only front arc criticals. Something which allways annoyed me in ACTA was a front hit taking out my engines!
Burger
Warlord Mongoose

Re: ACTA & Fleet Action?

Postby Burger » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:56 am

TalosX wrote:A Sharlin Warcruiser could turn its stealth jammer off, and still kick the crap out of any EA
Ahem, then how is it that the Prometheus (a Hyperion of all things - not even an Omega or Warlock) managed to start the Earth/Minbari War? ;)
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
Cos there's bugger all down here on Earth.

H
Chief Mongoose

Postby H » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:01 am

obvious... Plot!
I AM RONIN!
Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Lord David the Denied » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:13 am

Burger wrote:Ahem, then how is it that the Prometheus (a Hyperion of all things - not even an Omega or Warlock) managed to start the Earth/Minbari War? ;)
They got a few hits on the ships, including hitting the bridge/holo chamber. The Sharlin was still in action at that point and could have replied if the EA ships hadn't jumped out.
TalosX
Cub

Postby TalosX » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:14 am

Burger wrote:
TalosX wrote:A Sharlin Warcruiser could turn its stealth jammer off, and still kick the crap out of any EA
Ahem, then how is it that the Prometheus (a Hyperion of all things - not even an Omega or Warlock) managed to start the Earth/Minbari War? ;)
Probably because they were point-blank range, the gravity shielding on the Sharlin wasn't active, and their was a Hyperion AND a Nova dreadnaught (and some other ships as well). And still they didn't destroy the Sharlin, only damaged it. The damage obviously wasn't all that crippling considering it supposedly followed them and destroyed them later! Atleast that was the order Delenn gave, and since she's still hear its implied that thats what happened.
BuShips
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby BuShips » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:41 am

Burger wrote:Ahem, then how is it that the Prometheus (a Hyperion of all things - not even an Omega or Warlock) managed to start the Earth/Minbari War? ;)
Why, that's simple. The lowly Earthers got a lucky hit by shooting through one of those open Minbari gun ports. :wink:
©2002 Thomas Schmid, with permission. Visit http://www.3dhistory.de/.
M1ndr1d3rs
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby M1ndr1d3rs » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:02 am

TalosX wrote:A Sharlin Warcruiser could turn its stealth jammer off, and still kick the crap out of any EA, Centauri, or Narn ship with relative ease. A Warlock advanced destroyer wouldn't stand a chance against a Sharlin.
I've always thought the Warlock would do the trick agains a Sharlin :? Unfortunately never proven on screen. EA as a whole still doesn't stand a chance against the Minbari, though.
What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so.
Mark Twain
Da Boss
Chief Mongoose

Postby Da Boss » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:40 pm

once EA get the Shadowtech working right - or it accepts them - then we shall see who is superior - oh yes :) 8)

Hunters, Warlocks and whatever the next gen is beyond that ..........
Galatea
Greater Spotted Mongoose

Postby Galatea » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:52 pm

The Marathon is Minbari, Drakh and Shadowtech, as is the Nemesis (and yes, I still do field a Nemesis, no matter what the rulebook sais about this friggin Psi Corps Fleet).
Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me.

Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Lord David the Denied » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:49 pm

What Minbari technology is involved in the Marathon and Nemesis?
EDFDarkAngel1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby EDFDarkAngel1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:52 pm

None, it's converted Shadowtech on EA hulls.

As for the shadowtech making one species superior over the other, I suppose there's a reason why our Psi Corps player owns all.

Dark Angel
thehod
Banded Mongoose

Postby thehod » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:52 pm

gravity drives the minbari gave to earth.
Bask Ohm: We are not thugs. We want peace too, but we are impatient

Megacon: 1st place
Never won a game vs Narn
Fighters always die
Lord David the Denied
Cosmic Mongoose

Postby Lord David the Denied » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:18 pm

Except that the EA had cracked artificial gravity already and kept quiet about it...? Remember the Warlock project was underway during Clark's reign, it just wasn't ready to take on Sheridan's rebels - hence the crude and nasty Omega-X...
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:20 pm

Lord David the Denied wrote:Except that the EA had cracked artificial gravity already and kept quiet about it...? Remember the Warlock project was underway during Clark's reign, it just wasn't ready to take on Sheridan's rebels - hence the crude and nasty Omega-X...
and we know that how? :?
Into the Fire: 4th place
Wheel of Fire: 9th place
Gaelcon 2006: 2nd place
EDFDarkAngel1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby EDFDarkAngel1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:42 pm

Well, Ivanova got a fully functional Warlock a good, what, three months after they got anti-grav technology? They're paying those laborers good in those shipyards...

Dark Angel
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:46 pm

EDFDarkAngel1 wrote:Well, Ivanova got a fully functional Warlock a good, what, three months after they got anti-grav technology? They're paying those laborers good in those shipyards...

Dark Angel

you think the scriptwriter for that episode and the CGI guys were co-ordinating? :roll:
EDFDarkAngel1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby EDFDarkAngel1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:48 pm

We never actually saw Ivanova's Warlock (or any Warlock for that matter...) so I wouldn't think it had to do with anything CGI.

Dark Angel
emperorpenguin
Chief Mongoose

Postby emperorpenguin » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:57 pm

EDFDarkAngel1 wrote:We never actually saw Ivanova's Warlock (or any Warlock for that matter...) so I wouldn't think it had to do with anything CGI.

Dark Angel
Yes we did, Crusade and A Call To Arms (the movie)
EDFDarkAngel1
Lesser Spotted Mongoose

Postby EDFDarkAngel1 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:58 pm

Well, then... correction: *I* never saw it :P

Dark Angel